Android Battery backup of new S20 FE 5G

This is difference from last night (It reached 89% just before I took the screenshot).

Turns out I accidentally left BT on the previous night, so I left it one today as well to keep it fair

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221016-040218_Lawnchair.jpg
    Screenshot_20221016-040218_Lawnchair.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot_20221016-095913_Lawnchair.jpg
    Screenshot_20221016-095913_Lawnchair.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 78
I am intrigued by this discussion and the objective... Imo no matter how much you optimize you are not going to get much more than 8h sot from a phone with 4500 battery.. It is giving you one of the best sot you can get.. I challenge any iphone or budget phone or any other smartphone with good screen can manage it

Only thing I can think of is turn down the battery brightness way down and use... Sot can increase with that.. Not sure if it will still qualify your "full day" definition of 10h sot

ok, so the baseline is 2% from 91 to 89 over 6 hours giving you 0.3% drain per hour.

BT adds 0.1%/h drain so without it you'd be at 0.2%/h. Which is normal.

So the difference in normal mode is 1.4% more

Ideally, it should be around 0.5% at most 1% per hour. Closer to 0.5% is better

This may or may not be possible depending on how you use your phone.

Last edited:
I am intrigued by this discussion and the objective... Imo no matter how much you optimize you are not going to get much more than 8h sot from a phone with 4500 battery.. It is giving you one of the best sot you can get.. I challenge any iphone or budget phone or any other smartphone with good screen can manage it

Only thing I can think of is turn down the battery brightness way down and use... Sot can increase with that.. Not sure if it will still qualify your "full day" definition of 10h sot
It’s a wild goose chase indeed.

Suggestion for OP: buy accubattery pro on play store. It’s pretty cheap anyway.
Let it collect data for a few days on discharging patterns by app and you’ll have all the answers you need.

Yes, my expectations were a bit high. On my old Nokia 6.1 I could start the day with 100%, go out to our farmhouse (a two-hour drive with craptastic signal everywhere), use it moderately for some video, be back by dinnertime and still have ~10% left, so I was expecting A LOT more from this

Yes, my expectations were a bit high. On my old Nokia 6.1 I could start the day with 100%, go out to our farmhouse (a two-hour drive with craptastic signal everywhere), use it moderately for some video, be back by dinnertime and still have ~10% left, so I was expecting A LOT more from this
How much SOT did the Nokia give you

So you got nearly double that with the S20FE. Isn't that good? How high can expectations get than that :)

Your standby drain at 1.6% with the phone doing nothing is high. I would attribute at least 0.5%/h to the fact you only get two bars of signal. If you had a better signal your drain would be less.

The difference between a standby drain of 0.5%/h and 1.6%/h is after 20h you lose 32% as opposed to 10%. With the phone just sitting there doing nothing.

It's like beginning the day with a full battery but in reality, it's only 70% instead of 90%. You will notice the difference.

There are things you can do to get a little more runtime. When I characterised this phone a while back I noticed the power savings mode gets you the most mileage. Dropping to 60Hz only gave a modest improvement over time. The savings are primarily because the CPU is limited to 70% speed. If there are apps you use that do not need full CPU you can extend the battery this way without noticing a performance drop.

Instagram consumed the most battery. You don't have a problem using a refresh rate of 60Hz. Why not create a Bixby routine that will put the phone into power savings mode whenever you open Instagram and see whether you can use it that way? The phone goes back to normal CPU when you exit the app.

Try the same with snapchat. Add that app to the routine. When either of the apps is opened the phone switches to power savings mode. Make a note of the apps you use the most and add them to the same routine.

Another Bixby routine could turn on GPS when you open Maps or whatever app you use that needs GPS and disables it when you don't need the app. This way you don't have to remember to enable or disable GPS. GPS on consumes 0.1%/h when stationary and possibly more when moving.

Try those two and see whether you get more out of the phone.

You could just use the phone in power savings mode for everything but I think you will notice a performance hit with some things. So try one app at a time.

How high can expectations get than that :)
I don't know tbh. This is the first time I've owned a flagship, so I guess I was expecting a lot.

The rest of your write-up is really detailed and in-depth, thank you for that. I don't use Bixby, but I think Assistant routines should do the same thing, I will check it out. Thank you for all the advice

I don't know tbh. This is the first time I've owned a flagship, so I guess I was expecting a lot.
The trouble with flagship is you never get the best battery. Though i would say the S20FE battery qualifies as close to excellent. YMMV with mobile data as the modem isn't built into the CPU.

The best battery is on midrangers with big batteries. You have to compromise on camera
The rest of your write-up is really detailed and in-depth, thank you for that. I don't use Bixby, but I think Assistant routines should do the same thing, I will check it out. Thank you for all the advice
Bixby routines is not the voice assistant. It's Samsung's version of If this then that. IFTT. Very handy and easy to setup

Bixby routines is not the voice assistant.
I mean, Google Assistant also has something like that (I already have two, one for going out and one for coming back home). I don't want to enable Bixby becuase unless I fully disable it, my headphones' voice assistant button will always call Bixby, regardless of the default settings. In any case, thanks for the handy tips, I will see how I can implement them to suit my needs

Let us know if disabling Bixby also affects the routines. I don't think it will.
It didn't. Making a routine for Instagram and the 120Hz setting is cumbersome, but I did make one for going out/getting home, so that works really well.

Also, this was my usage today, when I actually spent more time outside than usual:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221020-001200_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20221020-001200_Device care.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 80
Making a routine for Instagram and the 120Hz setting is cumbersome
If
- scroll to the header titled event, then select app opened (scroll down the app list and select) Instagram

then
- go to display, select motion smoothness and then 120 Hz (optional)

- go to battery, select power saving

That's all. When you quit Instagram it will disable power saving and return to 60Hz

If this works then add in addition, apps Snapchat & reddit to the same routine and whenever you open any of the three the above is executed.

Easy isn't it :)

, but I did make one for going out/getting home, so that works really well.
What does this do? switch off wifi and turn on mobile data based on geofencing
Also, this was my usage today, when I actually spent more time outside than usual:
You got 3 bars signal here so you gained an extra half-hour SOT over your previous usage. Maybe the screen brightness was less too due to the cloudy weather I guess.

Back