Battle of the inverter Air Conditioners: Daikin, Panasonic, Mitsubishi or Toshiba?

this thread got my attention, getting a 1.1 ton sharp inverter ac installed now..hope the electricity consumption goes low
Sharp is top in my mind while searching for good AC. Meanwhile I came across your post. Can I have your review on performance & sound? Have you fitted in home? If yes, is it really worth to pay additional bucks for inverter for home standard use.

Sharp is top in my mind while searching for good AC. Meanwhile I came across your post. Can I have your review on performance & sound? Have you fitted in home? If yes, is it really worth to pay additional bucks for inverter for home standard use.

what is home standard use?

Can you mention about features, power consumption printed on the box if any?

^^ i have discarded the box..will have to look into manual.
Here it goes..spec of XP13NRV....from Sharp india web
Modal Type
Single Type Wall Mounted
Capacity *1(Min-Max) Cool
3.60 (0.90-4.00) kW
Power supply
220-240-Single phase-50 Hz
Voltage range
198-264 V
Running current Cool
5.7 (1.3-7.4) A
Power input Cool
1150 (250-1500) W
COP Cool
12.40 btu/W
Sound pressure level*2 (indoor)
39 db
Airflow volume (cool/indoor)
10.8 m3/min
Dimensions (W X H X D ) Indoor
920 X 290 X 240
Dimensions (W X H X D ) Outdoor
730 X 540 X 230
PCI
Available
Refrigerant
R410A
EER
what is home standard use?
For me, 5 hrs in summer/monsoon & ocassional use in winter. Very humid environment.

Hi,

anyone thinking to buy Sharp please be wary of their after sales service. Their service department is outsourced to some local vendors who don't know a thing about Ac's. recently i made a call to their customer care to service my Sharp ac. it look them 6 days to service it in spite of promising that it will not take longer than 24 hours. I had to make at least 5 phone calls / escalations to get the work done. if a simple thing like service takes this long one could imagine how long it will take to fix some technical issue.

I have no doubt about the quality of Sharp Ac's. They are one of the Value for money brands's but their service leaves lot to be desired.

better stick with known brands like Panasonic or Daikin until Sharp gets its act together.

The outdoor unit is in balcony just adjacent to bedroom door, about 2 metres from bed and i do not hear the noise. Internal unit is pretty much silent though one must consider that this is my first experience with split ac at home. One thing about these ACs is the time taken in initial cooling. In delhi summer heat cooling is comparatively delayed as compared to standard Ac's (i was using 1.5 ton onida window AC, now 1.1 ton split ac) . It takes approx 30 minutes to cool to 26 degrees set temperature when ambient temperature is 40-44 degrees celcius.

About sales and service..even i read about their service and i contacted them directly. for delhi they have good service "and they provide replacement if problem is not resolved in 1 week" according to their rep.

I am still waiting for my electricity bill , hope this investment was worthwhile.

About sales and service..even i read about their service and i contacted them directly. for delhi they have good service "and they provide replacement if problem is not resolved in 1 week" according to their rep.

FYI the experience i mentioned above regarding their shoddy service is in delhi only.Their 1 week replacement policy is nothing but pure BS.
I do agree with you on cooling effectiveness. My window ac cools 150 square feet room in less than 15 minutes,

My air conditioners are getting delivered today and will be installed tomorrow. Hope Daikin sorts out a better dealer network and a more consistent pricing strategy. Their dealers are very snooty. As though they are selling an Aston Martin or something..
Anyway. Getting it installed by our trusted installation technician since 30 years. Hope all goes smoothly.

Congrats for the purchase man. Daikin inverter's are great piece of equipment. I'm sure it's going to serve you good.
my next Ac purchase is definitely going to be inverter Ac's from Daikin. Inverter ac's prices have still room for reduction.

Thanks. I already have 4 of these running in my house since 2010 and I assure you that this is one of our best investments in terms of electrical equipment so far.

Hi,
Well inverter technology is the most energy efficient so far when pushing the motors to their limits.
I've been using some of the most precisely engineered inverter's for 7 yrs and results are awesome.

Now in air-conditioning........ well its a new for domestic market but its been in industry for many yrs. Cold storage, blast chiller, cooling towers are few to name..............

In our standard air conditioner , the compressor runs at 100% rpm till the desired set value (temp.) Is reached & then shuts down the motor. Waits again & analyze the feedback from temp sensor and starts the compressor motor again.
On the other side inverter based air conditioner varies the compressor motor's rpm and maintains the temperature and saving the energy as well.

But its not guaranteed that inverter air conditioner will save energy in every condition.

Attrish

What's the (technical) reason for window ACs cooling faster than splits? Or is it just with inverter splits?

What's the (technical) reason for window ACs cooling faster than splits? Or is it just with inverter splits?

Hi Julian,
There should be no difference as long as u r using the supplied copper pipe/tube, I.e 1.5 m in most cases.
Furthermore there's a trade off for increased distance with less cooling .

Attrish

No, couple of the posters above said that they noticed longer initial cooling periods with these splits as compared to window ACs, so is this because they're using longer piping too?

That's a myth. People buy LOW tonnage for their rooms to save that initially high cost but what they dont realize is that the ac has to work that much harder to cool the room. The throw of air from a window ac is higher hence the slightly fast initial cooling, but if you get a larger tonnage inverter ac (than even required) you are allowing faster cooling initially and then your compressor will throttle down to say, half its actual capacity by clever wizardry. That's how I'd do it. In terms of NON inverter ac's never OVER do the tonnage, but with an inverter you can always overdo the tonnage and the compressor will reduce it's capacity for you. Hence a good combination of superb initial cooling and great power bills as well.
Win-win situation.

Exactly!! I completely agree with you .. It's always better to get a little extra tonnage instead of being on the borderline. Once the cooling part is being done Inverter AC will run on lower tonnage which will result in better energy savings & on the other hand hand a Non inverter AC will keep running at max capacity till the set temp is achieved. And remember, A non inverter Ac consumes the max power when the compressor Turns off/ on. So if it goes On and Off every now and then it's going to consume lot of power.

Exactly!! I completely agree with you .. It's always better to get a little extra tonnage instead of being on the borderline. Once the cooling part is being done Inverter AC will run on lower tonnage which will result in better energy savings & on the other hand hand a Non inverter AC will keep running at max capacity till the set temp is achieved. And remember, A non inverter Ac consumes the max power when the compressor Turns off/ on. So if it goes On and Off every now and then it's going to consume lot of power.

Also the starting current of a fully loaded motor could reach up to 150% of the rated current. Though it happens for fractions of seconds but adds up to ur monthly bills.
Where inverter a c controls initial startup current to minimize the effect, also a better PID loop for room management .

In terms of NON inverter ac's never OVER do the tonnage, but with an inverter you can always overdo the tonnage and the compressor will reduce it's capacity for you. Hence a good combination of superb initial cooling and great power bills as well.
Win-win situation.

Notable info. I almost on the verge of finalizing NON inverter AC and whooops....... came across the pros of INVERTER technology as you guys quote here...... Should I really think of 1.1 T Inverter AC for my 13 W x 11 L x 9 H cuft bedroom or simply opt 1.5 T Non Inv will do the job efficiently without much hampering my light bill...I assume that 1.5 Ton is overlooking tonnage for this size room...

Back