BB owners; Can we use gprs pack of IDEA for using Whatsapp on Blackberry Curve 9220 ?

anikptl

Disciple
Hey friends, I am planning to buy a BB Curve 9220 & gift it to my best friend who uses Whatsapp a lot. He loves BB's qwerty keypad which is the best for chatting purpose but has never owned a BB.

I just want to confirm from the BB owners whether its possible to use Whatsapp flawlessly on a BB using a normal GPRS plan ? Is there any trick/tweak for the same ?

Waiting for the responses from BB owners and technology freaks...

Whatsapp doesnt work on my airtel or docomo normal Internet plan.
It requires BIS plan which is around Rs 300 approx
But it works through wifi !

Not not really sure. If they detect you are on a BB device, they disable the plan. You have to be on the specialized packaged for BB.

A friend of mine did use Docomo GPRS packs on his 8520 for almost 3-4 months before selling off the phone. He also said there were separate internet plans for BB devices starting at 300 bucks a month. And don't know if this is relevant but it was a Dubai purchased phone.

^^ We can use the Normal internet pack of any Service provider to browse internet through Opera Mini , But for Chat &Email, we need BIS plan
BB market is usable through WIFI
There is a workaround for using various apps like whatsapp and Gmaps through Wifi.
The name of the App is Aerize Wifi.
Dont know how to configure it though !

I am using normal gprs plan and browse Internet through opera mini and use whatsapp. Its mis informed above that whatsapp require bb plan only. I am on Airtel.

^^ I cant use it on my docomo or Airtel connection,
My room mate has a curve 9220 and he has an aircel connection, and has the same problem !

It works only on my Opera mini !
Not on the default browser, nor on the Market !

I had to download the Opera mini from market while using WIfi :p

For all those who want to use Opera, Whatsapp, Nimbuzz, etc. on a BB smartphone using the normal GPRS packs, please follow the following website :

BBHelp Site | BlackBerry without BIS/BES

Register on this website & go through the 'Downloads' tab on it...follow all the settings/tweaks posted by the 'Admin' & use ur BB WITHOUT BIS/BES..!!

Note : BBM, BB email service, other BB services WON'T work on the normal GPRS pack...to use these services, u got to have a BIS plan.

- - - Updated - - -
@varkey :

Would u plz list all the apps that are working perfectly on a normal gprs pack on your BB Curve 9360? Please. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
varkey :

Would u plz list all the apps that are working perfectly on a normal gprs pack on your BB Curve 9360? Please. :)

Whatsapp, Opera Mini worked perfectly fine. Occasionally the inbuilt browser worked too, but once I changed SIMs stopped working. I haven't yet figured out exactly what needs to be set to get it working.

Whatsapp works with normal GPRS or 3G plan but it wont work with BB Prosumer Plan (Rs.399/-per month), However it works with BIS (Rs.599/-per month).

If you friend wants BBPL plan than whatsapp can be run over wifi.

Thank u very much! I think after changing the SIM, we have to again follow the same procedure/tweak mentioned in the link provided by me. Try try, u will succeed. :)

Well Gmail, HudeeMail (alternate push mail app for BB), Nimbuzz, eBuddy, Facebook (version 1.6), Twitter & Google Maps are also working on a BB using a gprs pack. Do try these apps as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank u very much buddy. :)
I have already gifted my friend a BB Curve 9220 on his birthday; & he is enjoying Whatsapp on it. The best part is on a normal 98/- gprs pack he is using Whatsapp, Facebook, Twitter & all such social networking cum chat websites; WITHOUT paying enormous monthly rent for having BB plans!!

Back