Belkin Economy 8 Pin Surge Guard Burned....!!

Lozil

Disciple
Got the Belkin Economy 8 Pin Surge Guard some 6 months back, It used to Supply power to my PC-UPS, Speakers, 2 adapters for Wifi and BSNL modem, and one Nokia Charger. All of a sudden yesterday there was a pop sound and power went off. Could not locate the pop sound even though I was in same room[was a faint pop]. Checked the Electric Tripper and it was down, Turned it ON then there was smoke coming out from the Belkin Surge guard....!! Turned the Tripper down and Removed the Surge Guard. Opened it for curiosity and found the surge circuit had caught fire and literally burned down...!! No Damage to the PC or Other components. So Lesson learned, When there is a Pop sound and Power goes off Smell every electrical instrument for the Burnt smell like Dog before turning Power Supply on, Else you risk your house getting burned down....!!

Question is, Do I get warranty for the Surge Guard....? :p

Belkin Surge Protector has lifetime replacement warranty. I had mine replaced with a new one, no questions asked. But, I got it replaced at the shop I bought it from.

As per my experience, a hand made (by professionals) wooden box power strip with high grade internal and external cables with branded power plugs works more reliable than Belkin/Huntkey economy power strips. The former might turn out to be bit expensive than branded ones, but far more reliable. Individual switches would be good as well.

PS: I do have one of those belkin 8 way economy one. And now im scared:S

mehrotra.akash said:
Even if you would have got the warranty, after opening it I'm doubtful you'll get it

Well, There was NO sticker or anything which would let them know of Void Warranty, So ;)

kRuSnIk said:
Belkin Surge Protector has lifetime replacement warranty. I had mine replaced with a new one, no questions asked. But, I got it replaced at the shop I bought it from.

Oh, Thanks... Let me search for the BILL....:)

dOm1naTOr said:
As per my experience, a hand made (by professionals) wooden box power strip with high grade internal and external cables with branded power plugs works more reliable than Belkin/Huntkey economy power strips. The former might turn out to be bit expensive than branded ones, but far more reliable. Individual switches would be good as well.

PS: I do have one of those belkin 8 way economy one. And now im scared:S
The Wooden boxes plugs won't be able to absorb the Spikes, Else I would have built one for myself. In My case I Think the Creative Adapter which is Quite heavy and a bit loose on the plug might have caused the Spike buster to go BOOM.

Lozil said:
Got the Belkin Economy 8 Pin Surge Guard some 6 months back, It used to Supply power to my PC-UPS

....how you use Spike Guard with UPS? It's big NO :huh:

if you Need can use Extension Board but Spike Guard + UPS not advisable & even don't tell to Service Center if plan to claim warranty :(

Emperor said:

if you Need can use Extension Board but Spike Guard + UPS not advisable & even don't tell to Service Center if plan to claim warranty :(

hmmm, didn't know that. Any reasons?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

An ordinary UPS WILL give you a high level of protection, but you should still use a surge protector. A UPS will stop most surges from reaching your computer, but it will probably suffer severe damage itself. It's a good idea to use a basic surge protector, if just to save your UPS.(And as I check; my UPS does not have a surge protection in built)

From HowStuffWorks "Surge Protection Levels"

Emperor said:

Does not make sense to me, The Spike Guard Capacity is 1500W, Now even if i consider my PC with Monitor Draws 400W of Power + 50W for speakers and Other accessories even with PF of 0.8 the active load should not be more than 700W. Add 200W charging for UPS Battery still there is overhead left. Must be some remote case...! Anyhow Happy that nothing got damaged in process other than the Spike Guard.

The same thing happen to me as well with same belkin spike guard (i thing around 2yrs back)....it took down my laptop charger and mobile charger with it

Emperor said:
.. do some google search :)

No Particular results. I can't find a Analytical problem when you attach UPS to Spike guard. Basically should work without causing any problems. UPS will act like a Load. Only reason I can think of is that initial Load by the UPS may take some Extra load on the spike buster.

But i was able to see the Burnt copper in the pin where the speaker was connected. SO I guess ALL the Blame Goes on to the Creative speaker adapter which fits loose in any Plug or socket.

It clearly says max 6A. means 220*6= 1320W. That is you can only draw a max of 1320 W from belkin 8 port gurge protector, after which the circuit breaker/fuse will come in action. As its a sealed unit with internal fuse, you have to apply for RMA for the fuse/ckt breaker to be replaced.

Back