PC Peripherals Benq 1640 - Cant seem to find a media it likes!!

Eazy said:
@vinitwins ... if you want to bring your BENQ over to my place and try some burns here you are welcome - that is if you are in Mumbai. I live at Churchgate.

thanks for the offer. i'm going to test it on my 3 other pcs first - hopefully will be able to come up with an answer. keeping fingers crossed it's something as silly as a faulty cable - but is that possible? the same cable used to power my litey 1693 and it did good burns. the same cable performs brilliantly for data transfer/dvd rips and the transfer rate tests...

the hardware gods are smirking i'm sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
vinitwins said:
thanks for the offer. i'm going to test it on my 3 other pcs first - hopefully will be able to come up with an answer. keeping fingers crossed it's something as silly as a faulty cable - but is that possible? the same cable used to power my litey 1693 and it did good burns. the same cable performs brilliantly for data transfer/dvd rips and the transfer rate tests...

the hardware gods are smirking i'm sure.

it gets stranger...

moved the benq to my p4 rig and just on a whim started quality testing the 50-odd 'wasted' test discs i had burned in the past few days on both the benqs.

what do you make of scans that were showing 70-80% quality burned & scanned on same drive on athlon pc and and now showing 99% quality when i scan the disc on the same drive but on another pc(p4)...?

im getting too old for this crap!

Attachments

• BENQ____DVD_DD_DW1640_BSLB_03-January-2006_13_03.png
    BENQ____DVD_DD_DW1640_BSLB_03-January-2006_13_03.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 53
vinitwins said:
it gets stranger...

moved the benq to my p4 rig and just on a whim started quality testing the 50-odd 'wasted' test discs i had burned in the past few days on both the benqs.

what do you make of scans that were showing 70-80% quality burned & scanned on same drive on athlon pc and and now showing 99% quality when i scan the disc on the same drive but on another pc(p4)...?

im getting too old for this crap!

NOW its my turn to moan and groan - I have never seen a quality score above 97 - with any media :(

Anyway you have made me make my mind up about not buying an A8N-E setup - I have read enough about problems with the nvidia controllers and data corruptions. I will wait for next genertion of AMD computers. Atleast something good came out for me with your problem. :) My ASUS P4C800ED with an Intel 2.4C is rock solid.

OT : What is this ? Some kinda Sherlock Holmes mystery ? This is one hella thread. Luv it.

NOW its my turn to moan and groan - I have never seen a quality score above 97 - with any media

Anyway you have made me make my mind up about not buying an A8N-E setup - I have read enough about problems with the nvidia controllers and data corruptions.

Arre Eazy, I know that the nVidia IDE Controller Driver sucks but that doesn't mean that the entire NF4 line-up is bad. In fact I was at a point where I was tearing my hair apart with the IDE S/W. When I installed it the first time and used KProbe to scan discs, it showed all kinda s**t in place of my drive and it wouldn't lemme use ASPI layer to scan the discs. The moment I changed from STPI to ASPI, my comp would restart. I think it was TechHead who pointed me to the fact that the IDE S/W could be the issue. Never installed the S/W after that and I haven't had any iisues after that ( Touchwood ) :)

Eazy said:
NOW its my turn to moan and groan - I have never seen a quality score above 97 - with any media :(

Anyway you have made me make my mind up about not buying an A8N-E setup - I have read enough about problems with the nvidia controllers and data corruptions. I will wait for next genertion of AMD computers. Atleast something good came out for me with your problem. :) My ASUS P4C800ED with an Intel 2.4C is rock solid.
All my scores were on NF2/NF4 mobos ;)
Anyway, that scan vinit posted at the end looks wrong.. never seen such error distribution patterns before. Dude, screw the quality scans. Post some CDSpeed readback curves..

TechHead said:
All my scores were on NF2/NF4 mobos ;)

Anyway, that scan vinit posted at the end looks wrong.. never seen such error distribution patterns before. Dude, screw the quality scans. Post some CDSpeed readback curves..

all cdspeed transfer graphs are smooth as silk. zero jitters.

and wait, the mystery deepens. i finally burned a couple of discs on my p4 system WITH MOSER DVD+R - the quality tests gave 97 and 95 - pretty good. now thinking that it was the blasted cable that was at fault all along on my athlon rig (against any logic) i switched the benq back to the athy WITH NEW CABLE.

here it comes - the discs that were burned on the p4 that gave a 97% rating, now show about a 85% rating on the athy - just doing a scan. not burnt any medias yet. but i think thats a pointless exercise.

bottom line (i think) - something in the athlon setup is causing some problems with the benq. discs are being written perfectly, as verified by the smooth transfer rate graphs, AND the fact that those same discs give 95%+ scores on the p4 system. BUT BUT BUT

when quality scan is initiated on the athy, the discs return wonky scores.

moral of the story, unless there's another anti climax (give my pc a few days, it wont disappoint):

burn discs & check quality scores - if they are pathetic RUN transfer rate tests - if smooth graph be happy and hopefully your disc will still work 3 years down the road...

vinitwins said:
moral of the story, unless there's another anti climax (give my pc a few days, it wont disappoint):

burn discs & check quality scores - if they are pathetic RUN transfer rate tests - if smooth graph be happy and hopefully your disc will still work 3 years down the road...

QFMFT!
0.0...0 ten chars

Back