PC Peripherals BENQ 1640 NEW firmware BSMB and other NEW stuff !!!

Sandy said:
Thanks eazy what is QScan?

Before you burn a disk at a higher speed you can do a test with QScan to check if the Media is capable of being written to at the higher speeds. Qscan is built into QSuite 2 and 2.1

After reading the newer posts in the thread of CDFreaks I have given the link to above I decided NOT to burn this new firmware for the time being.

Eazy said:
Before you burn a disk at a higher speed you can do a test with QScan to check if the Media is capable of being written to at the higher speeds. Qscan is built into QSuite 2 and 2.1

After reading the newer posts in the thread of CDFreaks I have given the link to above I decided NOT to burn this new firmware for the time being.

thank you again eazy.
why this new firmware not good?

hmm DL is having problems at the moment and also the +R write quality seems to have reduced for few but the dvd-r kicks ass. Maybe the next firmware will be better for +r and -r

Those who are trying to run Qscan on this new firmware i would recommend not to as the firmware just freezes the system.

archish said:
hmm DL is having problems at the moment and also the +R write quality seems to have reduced for few but the dvd-r kicks ass. Maybe the next firmware will be better for +r and -r

Those who are trying to run Qscan on this new firmware i would recommend not to as the firmware just freezes the system.

YUP - you are right ... you have been a regular at CDFreaks forums - I have read some of your posts there :hap2:

But the people have been reporting system lockups only if QScan is run at 16x.

This firmware has been good for some and bad for others. I cannot take a chance of making coasters ... so I am holding back on this firmware. I only burn RCP1 versions of firmwares and this has not been released for BSMB yet.

Eazy said:
YUP - you are right ... you have been a regular at CDFreaks forums - I have read some of your posts there :hap2:

But the people have been reporting system lockups only if QScan is run at 16x.

This firmware has been good for some and bad for others. I cannot take a chance of making coasters ... so I am holding back on this firmware. I only burn RCP1 versions of firmwares and this has not been released for BSMB yet.

I dont think that the problem exists only at 16X I tried to do an 8x media QS at 12X halfway thorugh it froze so I suspect a buggy firmware. Right now I am not much into Ripping DVDs so no RPC1 for me :)

zhopudey said:
Just curious...did this start from BSAB?

I think BSGB was the first - thats the first one I found.

@TechHead - yes I heard that too... I may not flash the BSMB but wait for the BSNB with RCP1. :) One question - if I run ANYDVD do I need to bother about RPC1 firmwares ? Does ANYDVD protect the Burners from region locking ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The BENQ 1640 BSGB firmware has one very useful property - anytime you burn a firmware and it does not work out well - at times the new firmware has some glitches during the burn and the writing is done max at 4x - it becomes impossible to correct this untill you burn the BSGB firmware and burn one disk (I burn a DVDRW) and then reflash the newer firmware. I have HAD to do this a few times in the begining as I was not flashing in Windows Safe Mode and was getting bad flashes.

As a comparison BSGB is as good as running "fdisk /mbr" on a HDD with corruption - BSGB on the burner thoroughly cleans up the EEPROM or whatever.

Eazy said:
I think BSGB was the first - thats the first one I found.

@TechHead - yes I heard that too... I may not flash the BSMB but wait for the BSNB with RCP1. :) One question - if I run ANYDVD do I need to bother about RPC1 firmwares ? Does ANYDVD protect the Burners from region locking ?

I don't think so.. I don't bother with software for RPC1, as all the drives I've had have got RPC1 ability relatively easily. Give it a shot with the retail BSLB, and if it doesn't work, flash with TDB RPC1 BSLB ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
TechHead said:
Give it a shot with the retail BSLB, and if it doesn't work, flash with TDB RPC1 BSLB ;)

No MAN I dont want to try running without protecting for the Burner :O ..... dont want to have my drive region locked to China or Malaysia or whatever :) - I put a lot of movie disks in my drives .....I have always used the latest RPC1 firmwares available at The Dangerous Brothers site.

You read about the new invisible Watermarking stuff on the audio part of DVD movies ? :O

Eazy said:
No MAN I dont want to try running without protecting for the Burner :O ..... dont want to have my drive region locked to China or Malaysia or whatever :) - I put a lot of movie disks in my drives .....I have always used the latest RPC1 firmwares available at The Dangerous Brothers site.

You read about the new invisible Watermarking stuff on the audio part of DVD movies ? :O

Yeah..scary shite :(

Back