Best Android For the Money

Hi Everybody,
First I thought of starting this thread to post only about the newly released Micromax A70 and recommending everybody to take a look at it, before they proceed with their decision.
But then, the Micromax A70 is not the ONLY device that's so AWESOME for it's price. There are a lot of such devices out there, which is a steal for it's price. So before starting a new thread on which mobile to buy, check these mobiles. Google them for reviews and then start a thread here and ask for user opinions on your shortlisted devices.
So here goes MY list of (this list is strictly IMHO and varies to each person, may be)
Best Android Mobile For The Money
*the prices of the mobiles may differ anytime and so do the list
*only the best prices from letsbuy & flipkart are considered, you might get it cheaper from other places like TE's GO, ebay etc., :)

From 0,000 INR - 14,198 INR
-> Micromax A70 (6,549 @ Letsbuy after discount, 7,549 without discount)

From 14,199 INR - 18,798 INR
-> Motorola Defy (14,199 @ Letsbuy after discount, 15,399 without discount) [Shipped with Jabra BT 2045 bluetooth headset*]

From 18,799 INR - 29,989
-> Google Nexus S (18,799 @ LB after discount / 19,999 without discount)
-> Samsung Galaxy S (19,799 @LB after discount / 20,999 without discount)

Beyond 30,989 INR
-> Samsung Galaxy S II (if you've come this far, why worry about the price? be proud to own the flagship of entire Android Race)

Worth Mentioning:
HTC Wildfire S (12,099 @LB after discount)
Samsung Galaxy Ace (12,700 @Letsbuy after discount, 13,900 without discount)
Spice Mi-410 (12,999 @ Saholic after discount, else 13,999 without discount) [Phone having lot of issues, possibly H/W]
Samsung Galaxy SL (18,699@LB after discount)
HTC Desire S (18,299 @LB after discount)
L.G Optimus 2X (24,299 @LB after discount)
HTC Sensation ( 28,599@LB after discount)

* - Oh!, Now I get it! Since DEFY has a higher SAR value, I guess, LB is concerned over its sales and is shipping free bluetooth headset along with phone. BTW, those who are decided on DEFY, do not be concerned on SAR Value. Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) For Cell Phones: What It Means For You | FCC.gov . So basically all phones in market are good to go

Attachments

• and-mob.jpg
    and-mob.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 165
also worth cosidering lg optimus one for 8500 and optimus me for 6300 from letsbuy after discount
also optimus black for 19k would be better option than SGS
ps I am not a lg fanboi

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

zktel said:
Please can anyone help me in buying a android phone
Budget - Rs. 10k
Main Requirement - Music, Good Camera, Nice Screen for watching videos.
Brand Prefrence mainly Samsung because of Service centes.
Brand not Prefered - Dell
if not dell then get lg optimus one

I will put galaxy pro for 5999 alongside a70 simply because its cheaper, looks better, got a qwerty keyboard and got additional 200 mhz on the processor alongside better brand which evens out a70's advantage in slightly bigger and better display, 5mp cam and front cam.

aradhakr84 said:
How about Samsung Galaxy Fit S5670 for 9,999? Good Android phone with 600 mhz processor, 5 MP camera and has capacitive touchscreen with 65k screen colors. Seems to have decent music player.

Other options - Spice Mi-310 (6599 rs), LG Optimus One (9530 rs)

As far as I know, the Galaxy Fit has a QVGA display(240x320). Very bad resolution for an Android phone.
HVGA(320x480) is the bare minimum

Better option is the LG Optimus One if you can live without the camera

@zktel - LG Optimus One @ 8.4K (VFM-4) or Samsung Galaxy Ace @ 12.7K (VFM - 3.5) or Micromax A70 @6.6K (VFM-5*) or Motorola Defy @14.2K(VFM-4)

Wait for micromax A70's review. If the display quality, battery life and camera quality are good, then it's a steal. BTW, don't worry about the BRAND name - Micromax has third highest revenue in India next to nokia and sammy with LG, SE, HTC trailing behind. The trend has changed. Earlier it used to be nokia>SE>Sammy>LG>others; Now SE is out of competition because of their high price.

Indian mobile phone market grows 15pc in 2010-11 | AndroidOS.in
@arjun123 - Galaxy Pro is not 6K. There was a one time offer by LB, but now its outta stock.

Flipkart.com: Samsung Galaxy S I9000: Mobile -> Only 20,999 in flipkart :)

Also the pricing of LG O1 P500 is now only 8.5k after discount in LB.

Mentioning the A70 as the only option when there aren't even any reviews out and the RAM quantity is unknown is not the right choice IMO.

The main reason for Micromax's success was their low end phones. Their 1st android A60 was a disaster. So we cant just go by revenues can we?

As for as specs goes the Spice Mi-310 is a solid option @7k (6k after discount) But it seems to have a mike problem. So its better to wait reviews and user opinions before declaring the A70 as the android as choice in the sub 8k category.

DarkAngel said:

Does flipkart have 10% coupon like Letsbuy?

Because in Letsbuy also prices dropped to 20999, but the catch is that in Letsbuy its running Eclair and in Flipkart its running Froyo.

I heard even official Gingerbread availalable for this phone.

How easy or difficult it is to update this phone to Gingerbread using Odin (not stupid Kies software). Any pointers to where i can down load the official Gingerbread firmware for this phone and update using ODIN ?

My friend has ordered the mobile yesterday. Ordered it based on my recommendation. I did warn him about three things
I said, the specs are superb - equivalent to HTC Legend and better than Optimus One (3mp). But there might be few problems that we can't see in the specs unless we bought it
--> Display, though it is 320x480 and 256K as optimus one, the screen might be very dull.
--> Thought it has a 5mp, it can perform very poor, taking low detailed and badly exposed pictures. [But my guess is that, however bad it might be, it'll definitely be at an acceptable level]
--> The battery spec, though 1450mAh, there is high chance that it can perform very badly. (cause already company mentioned talktime is 4h, plus a battery saving update (gingerbread) is not available for this phone unlike Optimus One

For that my friend told, even if the above were true, it'll justify its price of 6.6K. 1.8K less than Optimus One.
I guess the reason for him thinking like that is, When you are in shoestring budget, few hundred more looks like few thousands more. So 8,400 INR is like a big amount compared to 6,550 INR.

Once we get the phone, will do a quick review of it and will post it here in TE...

DarkAngel said:
Flipkart.com: Samsung Galaxy S I9000: Mobile -> Only 20,999 in flipkart :)

Also the pricing of LG O1 P500 is now only 8.5k after discount in LB.
Mentioning the A70 as the only option when there aren't even any reviews out and the RAM quantity is unknown is not the right choice IMO.

The main reason for Micromax's success was their low end phones. Their 1st android A60 was a disaster. So we cant just go by revenues can we?

As for as specs goes the Spice Mi-310 is a solid option @7k (6k after discount) But it seems to have a mike problem. So its better to wait reviews and user opinions before declaring the A70 as the android as choice in the sub 8k category.

there are cheaper means to get the phone. like voila said iccworld can get the 30k 3G phone for around 20K that too 4G. but from letsbuy i would say defy is value for money. even nexus one and s are good buys. and add xperia mini pro for 15.7k. that is an amzing phone

Guys/ Android veterans,

With HTC Salsa with Sense 2.1 and GB onboard, now revised to 15.1k (further 1k off, without LB coupons) please suggest if this could be preferred over Defy. The price now makes very much sense.

Also there seems to be some confusion among the SOC of Salsa. GSMArena states "Adreno 205 GPU, Qualcomm MSM 7227 chipset", however i found some folks stating 205 is not compatible rwith 7227. Do clarify.

This would be my first droid and i wont be doing much tinkering/modding with it.

Thanks in advance for your time. added query, rather than opening one more thread.

Abhishek.

Back