Best Credit Card for first time user

Thinking of getting a credit card as i use my debit a lot and credit card i guess protects you better.
I will spend around 20k annually on fuel so need one with that 0% surcharge
spend around 2k/month on foods at local restaurents. 2k spend on other random stuff. usually watch 1 movie a month but pay using wallets as they have great offers.
Dont travel so dont need one with air miles etc.

Looking for one that will not have any annual fee/fee waiver for my ~50k annual spent.

I had applied for a standard chartered fuel cashback card but they have the absolute worst customer care and for the past 25 days they have neither processed application or done anything.

Hdfc and icici have free credit card with no annual fee. You can try out HSBC too provide free card based on criteria check the site.

Had bad experience with icici as they never approve my card dont know why.
Good experience with axis and hdfc. In fact axis was delivered within 7 days though hdfc took 23. And both these lifetime free ones.

Want to grab an sbi cr card but they never offer any free card.

Whichever card you choose, VCC facility helps protect your card online. I strongly advise to go for card that provides VCC option.

I use hdfc. It has VCC.
Friend, Please let me know which other cards have VCC facility?

Citibank Indian Oil card. One point = 1Rs on fuel refill.
only valid when u swipe on indian oil pumps with a citibank swipe machine.[DOUBLEPOST=1484047059][/DOUBLEPOST]have decided to get the hdfc bharat cashback card that gives me 5% cashback on fuel + bils + hdfc recharges. just waiting for standard chartered to either reject or approve my application as they have the worst customer care that takes 5 days to even respond to emals and then give outdated info. even the call-in facility is poor with no option for CC customers.

I thought so somebody will come up with this link which isnt at all for credit cards. Tried many times even for approved cards but it always says invalid application no.
There's other link which was supposedly deactivated by icici.

For the SC platinum rewards cards it says
  • Earn 5 reward points for every Rs.150 spent on fuel
But the charges say, Rs 10 or 2.5% surcharge , whichever is higher, for petrol transactions. So if I pay for petrol for 1000rs , I get 6 reward points but get charged 25 Rs?

SC Manhattan Platinum: https://www.sc.com/in/credit-cards/manhattan-platinum.html

For the SC platinum rewards cards it says
  • Earn 5 reward points for every Rs.150 spent on fuel
But the charges say, Rs 10 or 2.5% surcharge , whichever is higher, for petrol transactions. So if I pay for petrol for 1000rs , I get 6 reward points but get charged 25 Rs?
yup. Also when you go to redeem reward points, 3 points = 1 rupee and everything is overcharged there on their rewards site. Its basically free money so nothing to complain i suppose.

for a basic card check out standard chartered titanium value card its good

other recommendations are all high end, but having a lot of cards i can vouch for scb titanium above especially for a first time user!

I thought so somebody will come up with this link which isnt at all for credit cards. Tried many times even for approved cards but it always says invalid application no.
There's other link which was supposedly deactivated by icici.

let me know if you find tracking app link.

I recently applied for SC Manhattan and the process was pretty quick.

For a first time user I would recommend ICICI Coral but like @nRiTeCh both times I applied for it the application was rejected. First time the agent delayed submitting the documents and the second time the application was rejected but I wasn't given a reason. The guys at the bank asked me to open an account to ensure that I get the card but I decided not to and would prefer to do a FD of 20000 at SBI and take a card against it. <- This would also be a good recommendation for a first time user.

I would also recommend 'Super Value Titanium Card' from SC looking at the cashbacks and benefits and there's a way to waive off the annual fees as well. (Spend more than 60000 on it).

@^^ i applied for the same one but nothing has been done for past 26 days. The call centre team is clueless and they take 4-5 days to respond to a mail and again write a generic auto generated mail that we are looking into this. Im hoping they reject my app as they have a bad customer care and no care

Last edited:
This is the 3rd and last time i applied for icici. Hence forth i wont.
Also this is first time i applied for Citibank too but they rejected within 48hrs for no obvious reasons. Even though my ctc stands where i can get almost any card.
When googled, found all bad mouthing about them and that other peoples applications denied stating same reason 'was rejected due to internal reasons'. And nobody is even given a clue as to whats that INTERNAL reason even though their official emails states that one may contact CC for knowing the actual reason. Hell citibank.

** For all above cards, i directly received calls from banks. Never did i purposely applied or walked into any banks for the sake of their cards.

Meanwhile m enjoying my hdfc and axis, just hoping to grab icici and sbi. But as said m done with icici.

Back