Best custom 4.4.4 ROM for Redmi 1S

I am using Lace up ver 1.2 and is good..less buggy than mokee...wait for few days since kernel sources are out we will be getting more bug free roms soon :)

Is this ROM present on XDA forums for the phone?

How would you rate battery life in terms of screen on time?

Now kernel sources are out cm should be great . Having a moto g first gen and redmi 1 s .. The latter seems good for its price . Stock moto g software is bug free compared to miui of 1s .

Bug-free!

That's the word. These little bugs are harmless when you are home or in a casual setting but when it interferes with work, it gets mighty irritating. But i do get the fact that we got a good deal for what we paid!

You need to uncheck "Prevent accidental wakeup" in Display and lights to rid wake from sleep issues. Besides, Cm11 R15 is available with kernel sources and many are suggesting it has got rid of the many issues plaguing Redmi 1s.
You still need to give time since its been only a few days since kernel sources were announced. Eagerly awaiting for CM12 :D

Mine has issues waking up from sleep once i press the power or volume buttons. At least 4 hard presses are required at times, which is quite maddening tbh!

The new kernel you are talking about does seem to be getting good reviews in terms of performance but battery life seems to be suffering!

I'm not facing any of those :O
Have you updated via ota to the latest? Why dont you format again, the whole phone. Or wait a few days till new roms with new kernel sources come up?

Actually, i didn't update for the longest time since SyHost's last 'release' version. Then downloaded a release version by 'thewisenerd' iirc and proceeded to perform a clean flash. For some strange reason, after flashing ROM file and GAPPS, back button just didn't work. Tried again and saw that this issue occurred only after flashing GAPPS. So with no other recourse, dirty flashed over previous release version and been using it ever since.

I'm waiting for the internet to arrive at my new place before doing the things you've recommended.

Guys I realize that the kernel sources have been only recently released but can't help feeling if Xiaomi released them too late. Get a feeling it might have put off many a developer!

Hi guys, I'm still on the stock (ver {edit} 45) rom. I'd like to get rid of the heating & have heard that custom roms do address that. However, I love the audio enhancements from the stock rom & wish to continue using the same. In fact, I'm generally pretty happy with miui. So is there any way I can achieve both? Maybe flash only a kernel, or tweak thermal settings in some way? Thanks.

There is one stock based custom ROM named MiRed or something like that. Look it up on XDA, you might like it!

Mine has issues waking up from sleep once i press the power or volume buttons. At least 4 hard presses are required at times, which is quite maddening tbh!

The new kernel you are talking about does seem to be getting good reviews in terms of performance but battery life seems to be suffering!

Even I faced same issues when it came to waking up the fone. I just disabled 'prevental accidental wakeup' and voila, phone woke up with a single press of power button. I am using Mokee from syhost and since their last update(11-01-15), getting a better battery backup.

Actually, i didn't update for the longest time since SyHost's last 'release' version. Then downloaded a release version by 'thewisenerd' iirc and proceeded to perform a clean flash. For some strange reason, after flashing ROM file and GAPPS, back button just didn't work. Tried again and saw that this issue occurred only after flashing GAPPS. So with no other recourse, dirty flashed over previous release version and been using it ever since.

I'm waiting for the internet to arrive at my new place before doing the things you've recommended.

Do a clean Flash with 11-01-2015 build from syhost and not 'thewisenerd'. For some reason, syhost seems to have an upper hand when it comes to providing a rom as a daily driver. I have been using his build since November and except for the device wake up problem, I had no issues whatsoever. Just ensure to flash GAPPS from HERE. This will help you solve the issue with back button.
Don't forget to enable OTA updates so you wont need to clean flash again when an update is released.

Guys I realize that the kernel sources have been only recently released but can't help feeling if Xiaomi released them too late. Get a feeling it might have put off many a developer!
Atleast we have jsevi83, Syhost and Guneet Preet working to get 5.0 on 1s. Patience is all we need. :)

Any idea about whether they resolve the heating? & will they keep the audio enhancements intact? Any particular recommendations? Thanks.

My bad.......I'm actually on v45.

depending on your audio preference i would suggest the mokee rom with the OPO music effects plugin. it suits to my taste.
if you wish for more clearer and louder music output there are loads of options with the viper4android option.

btw i did try the miui v 6 unofficial release. it is snappier as compared to the original v45 firmware.
only thing i had an issue was to get the google framework to work properly. other than that audio and camera on the miui rom was very good.
that miui 6 unofficial one was based on 4.4 rom.

depending on your audio preference i would suggest the mokee rom with the OPO music effects plugin. it suits to my taste.
if you wish for more clearer and louder music output there are loads of options with the viper4android option.

btw i did try the miui v 6 unofficial release. it is snappier as compared to the original v45 firmware.
only thing i had an issue was to get the google framework to work properly. other than that audio and camera on the miui rom was very good.
that miui 6 unofficial one was based on 4.4 rom.
Thanks. I've just installed the Adria (miui v5 based) rom & that has the miui/dirac enhancements as well as the viper4android.

Played around a bit with v4a, toggling between it & miui defaults. I still prefer the stock presets. Is there more to dirac than meets the eye or can any of these audio fx plugins be made to sound the same, with more informed tweaking? Dirac just sounds more refined to me, while v4a is more raw & in your face (based on my limited tweaking). Not that one is necessarily better than the other.

Btw, more importantly, I'm unable to wipe data from within TWRP. How can I achieve it manually? I can wipe dalvik, cache, etc. just fine (TWRP gives me a 'successful' message), but when I try to wipe data &/or factory reset, it throws me back to the Teamwin splash screen. The same thing happened when I flashed the rom. Any idea why?

Thanks!

Thanks. I've just installed the Adria (miui v5 based) rom & that has the miui/dirac enhancements as well as the viper4android.

Played around a bit with v4a, toggling between it & miui defaults. I still prefer the stock presets. Is there more to dirac than meets the eye or can any of these audio fx plugins be made to sound the same, with more informed tweaking? Dirac just sounds more refined to me, while v4a is more raw & in your face (based on my limited tweaking). Not that one is necessarily better than the other.

Btw, more importantly, I'm unable to wipe data from within TWRP. How can I achieve it manually? I can wipe dalvik, cache, etc. just fine (TWRP gives me a 'successful' message), but when I try to wipe data &/or factory reset, it throws me back to the Teamwin splash screen. The same thing happened when I flashed the rom. Any idea why?

Thanks!
if you like the stock presets or the DIRAC option of the miui. would suggest you to try the unofficial miui6 release for the redmi 1s.

also the viper4android has a UI mode which can give different audio effects which vary depending upon your IEM or headphones.
the list is quite humongous. so if you have an audiophile kind of hearing, you can sure find a setting to your liking.

some how viper4android had too much treble like output which put me off to try it.

Last edited:
So what ROMs are you guys using at the moment. I've been using Carbon KK for more than a couple of months now but it has started springing bugs. The developer for Carbon too decided to stop development for KK based ROMs and is concentrating on LP ROMs. Time to switch to something that is stable and as bug-free as possible.

i have been using Crdroid for a while now. 2-3 days to be precise.

seems to be stable among the lot of 5.0.2 roms.
other customs roms had the music app and keyboard crashing far too often which put me off. i could either just listen to songs or just use messenger or other apps.

with crdroid i can multitask with ease.
the only bug i found with crdroid is that the custom set ringtones get reset with each reboot.

though the cm 12.1 build is out, i would wait for other 5.1 roms to be out to do a comparo and stick to one rom.

Would it be safe to restore apps and data from my KK ROMs onto a newer ROM based on LP?

I'll use TiBu of course. Read a couple of posts where the dev suggested against doing so.
Also, how is battery life with and without 3G?

Would it be safe to restore apps and data from my KK ROMs onto a newer ROM based on LP?

I'll use TiBu of course. Read a couple of posts where the dev suggested against doing so.
Also, how is battery life with and without 3G?
apart form gapps and an older version of mx player all kk apps worked fine on lollipop.
do note i backed up their original apk files using sms backup. so dont know if it works the same way using titanium backup.

Please suggest a stable enough custom ROM (KK or LP both will do) for this phone that offers at least 3-4 hours SOT. I've switched from CM11 to CM12 to CrDroid to currently Euphoria and none of them offered the kind of battery life i wanted. I even made sure there are no wakelocks lurking in the background and yet the poor SOTs.

Mokee lollipop rom is pretty good. I dont have any problem except the cam quality isnt that great. But there have been a few updates since I checked so check latest reviews. Pretty good ROM to use.

Fellow RedMi users, please share reviews of ROMs you are using. Lack of a stable enough ROM is really getting frustrating!

the kitkat rom development has stopped long back.

for lollipop roms, i would recommend to avoid blisspop and resurrection remix, there are some issues with them.

of those i have tried , i found the latest release of AICP, Team UB and carbon rom very much stable.

do note the roms i am discussing are on xda, each forum use the same name but the overall rom feel might be different since the authors are not the same.

I am currently on Mokee for the lack of a better and more stable alternative. SOT is usually around 3-3.5 hours with 3G+WiFi on continuously but no sync.
Anyone running anything better?

Also, anyone using a 64GB memory card on the Redmi 1S?

Using a 32 gb card. Roms using team ub and eos along with tesla.
The cm theme seems to giving ui crashes after installing other themes. The layers theme manager is crash free till now. But it lacks much customisation.

So tesla rom for no fc. Eos or team ub for snappy performance with some fc.

Thanks for the suggestions :). I am looking them up on XDA now.
How would you rate battery life in all those ROMs?
Tried any custom kernels?

I am thinking of popping in a 64 GB card as current 16 GB one doesn't suffice. Feel it's better to go for a 64 GB now rather than a 32 GB. Current card is close to 5 years old.

Tried some kernels but always with custom kernels observed whilst charging the phone it used to be a lot laggy. Hence I stick to what's bundled with the rom

Back