Best Digicam of the lot !?

Calling all digicam/photography enthusiasts !!! :D

Need your help in finalizing a digicam for my needs..

This is going to be my very first digital camera,so it needs to be SPECIAL ! :cool2:

My folks have an ultra-crappy kodak 3.2mp,so i really need a change! :(

Main Requirements:

Stylish & portable

8MP & above

Great outdoor shots & very good indoor shots

Good Zoom capability

Really good AF,IS,RE Red. & Face Detection

Very good video recording

Reasonably good battery life

Support rechargeable Li-on & AA batteries

Support most popular type of mem. cards

What I have in mind:

Canon:

IXUS 80 IS

SX 110 IS

Panasonic:

FS5

TZ5

Fujifilm:

Finepix F50FD

^^^ As you can see,I'm having a hard time narrowing down my options..

Moreover,all the above cameras have got very good ratings and reviews..

Not interested in Sony,Pentax,Kodak & others..

Budget:

Upto 15k if i can get it for around 13k in the grey market..

Else upto 13k !

Depending on the price,Will either buy it from a retail store or the grey market..

Appreciate your help !

Thnx..

if u need portability and ease to use ( considering ur parents will also use it ) - then u need to get the IXUS....i own the IXUS 70....and its fab....everyone at home knows how to use it :)

if u alone will use it or u can manage carrying a bigger package and also train a bit to ur parents ( considering at times u might mess with the settings and leave it on those settings and not on the auto funtion ) then u can go in for the SX 110 IS......

look no further.....it HAS to be a Canon :)

hanzy said:
if u need portability and ease to use ( considering ur parents will also use it ) - then u need to get the IXUS....i own the IXUS 70....and its fab....everyone at home knows how to use it :)

if u alone will use it or u can manage carrying a bigger package and also train a bit to ur parents ( considering at times u might mess with the settings and leave it on those settings and not on the auto funtion ) then u can go in for the SX 110 IS......

look no further.....it HAS to be a Canon :)

First off , thnx for the reply..

And the camera will be mine ,so the sole user being ME ! And i'll be taking the shots in every occasion.. :eek:hyeah:

my folks can stick with their kodak 3.2mp & canon film camera if the need arises.. :bleh:

As far as overall performance is concerned,which is better,even by a small margin???

Any idea about the current prices of the IXUS 80 IS & SX110 IS? Retail Market & grey market

Given that the camera is a consumer device and that it would be handled by many, I suggest you opt for warranty. You never know when you might need it.

Hi
I bought SX110 IS last week from Delhi
In my opinion Sx110 is really potential and versatile camera. It can be used by beginners in Auto mode and will give u very good results.
And the manual mode gives u freedom of expression, makes it helpfull in taking macro shots, portrait shots, and sport shots.
So for sx 110
Main Requirements:

Stylish & portable
( Can't say stylish , its a decent looking camera, kinda bigger than compact and smaller than SLR.)

8MP & above( yes 9MP)

Great outdoor shots & very good indoor shots
(really GREAT outdoor shots, decent indoors, can improve indoors if image size is compromised)

Good Zoom capability( 10x optical, 4x digital. total 40x zoom. and it looks decent at 40x at smaller image size)

Really good AF,IS,RE Red. & Face Detection
( IS of canon is best, Face detection is also the best in canon, can identify 35 face in a frame, as written in the manual, havent tested yet, Source: dpreview.com, AF, red eye at par with other models)

Very good video recording
( if u want Great video, go for panny TZ5, it has hd video, but it lacks manual controls and the digit 3 processor used by canon, in terms of still image quality canon sx110 leads tz5. Video quality of sx110 is decent but TZ5 leads in videos. If videos are what you want, then better go for cam coders)
Reasonably good battery life
( Sx110 will eat any AA battery, you will have to use NiMH rechargeable batteries, my uniross 2500mah batteries give me 300-400 pics , battery life also depends on LCD usage and LCD brightness and other power saving settings. If u use them, u can get pretty good battery output)
Support rechargeable Li-on & AA batteries( it supports rechargeable nimh AA batteries)
Support most popular type of mem. cards ( i am using 4GB SDHC sandisk card)

Any P&S camera will show noise in results at ISO greater than 400. So compare images at same iso and exosure settings. An ISO 400 image by sx110 cant be compared with iso 100 image of TZ5 or any other model.
My digicam deal cost my 16450/- with bill and vat
package included:
1) sx110 IS( and all the accessories) 15750/-
2) 4GB SDHC( in exchange of 2GB given by canon)
3) Case
4) A pair of Nimh 2500mah batteries and charger
5) LCD screen protector

I think u should consider sx110 . It has everything except HD video, but in that case only TZ5 suits your budget.

from my experience canon movie capability are good,while the panasonic may have a high resolution or HD recording capability,canon cameras focusing capabilities are better, focus hunt is less.

@fahd123

Thnx for the response ! The SX 110 is definitely under consideration.

Btw,how does it cope up with indoor shots? It's bulkiness is the only thing keepin me away from it..

Guys I'd really appreciate it if you could take into consideration the cameras I've mentioned above and help me narrow down the list...A few points here n there about all of them,to help me decide..

Like i mentioned earlier,they are all good !

wat about the models i've mentioned from Nikon,Panasonic & Fujifilm ??

Thnx.

thetoxicmind said:
Guys I'd really appreciate it if you could take into consideration the cameras I've mentioned above and help me narrow down the list...A few points here n there about all of them,to help me decide..
Like i mentioned earlier,they are all good !

The models i've mentioned from Nikon,Panasonic & Fujifilm ??
Thnx.

well the P&S cameras from nikon had a video and audio sync problem although not sure about the current models.

canon SX 110 is a good choice for movies,and its high optical zoom is a bonus,still image quality are also quite good.but in terms of still image quality the fujifilm F50FD is better in all aspects,since it has a huge sensor which is bigger then the sensor found in canon G9,the fuji high iso images can rival some basic DSLR like D50.but its movie performance is below canon and also the grip is not as good as the canon.

thetoxicmind said:
@adder
Thnx. for ur reply..

Any inputs on the models i've mentioned from Panasonic and Nikon??

Idea is to narrow down my choices..

well i am not sure about nikon but panasonic TZ5and canon Sx110IS are quite similar the panasonic has a better lens and a useful wide angle,while the canon has a better sensor.
the canon records movies in AVI format ,better focusing on moving objects where as the panasonic records in quicktime format but can record in HD.
the canon uses regular AA size batteries so thats a plus point,
the pansonic does have a slight edge in details in still image ,thanks to its leica lens.so imo this two camera should be ur final contenders.

adder said:
well i am not sure about nikon but panasonic TZ5and canon Sx110IS are quite similar the panasonic has a better lens and a useful wide angle,while the canon has a better sensor.

the canon records movies in AVI format ,better focusing on moving objects where as the panasonic records in quicktime format but can record in HD.

the canon uses regular AA size batteries so thats a plus point,

the pansonic does have a slight edge in details in still image ,thanks to its leica lens.so imo this two camera should be ur final contenders.

All right..so Nikon's out..

It's now Canon,Panasonic & Fuji..

Btw,how much does the Panasonic TZ5 cost??

Is it really better than the Fuji F50FD,IXUS 80 & SX110 in terms of image quality?

+1 for any canons on the list. sorry for diverting from the list, but at abt Rs. 5600, the canon powershot A470 (7.1 MP, 3.4x zoom) is excellent value for money, especially since in a lot of professional tests the reviewers have said that the image quality compares very favourably to more expensive models. i just bought one and other than the image stability at low lights issue, everythings else have been a pleasant surprise.

Reading the various reviews and test scores of the above models is just giving me a hard time deciding..

Each one seems better than the other at each review site.. ;)

So as of now,here's my list:

Canon IXUS 80 IS

Canon SX110 IS

Panasonic TZ5

Fujifilm FS5

Things I dont really need : HD rec.,wide angle lens,ultra compactness

Among the Canons,the ixus 80 is really great,well-reviewed for its image quality but only has a 3x zoom..

the sx110 on the other hand has got some good reviews(guess bcoz its relatively new) but has a 10x zoom,a total of 40x !

do i trust the scores from review sites just yet or just judge them from the actual specs..

pause said:
+1 for any canons on the list. sorry for diverting from the list, but at abt Rs. 5600, the canon powershot A470 (7.1 MP, 3.4x zoom) is excellent value for money, especially since in a lot of professional tests the reviewers have said that the image quality compares very favourably to more expensive models. i just bought one and other than the image stability at low lights issue, everythings else have been a pleasant surprise.

thnx but i'm not considering anything lesser than 8mp ,just for it to be future-proof for sometime..
moreover,i require good shots in low light conditions and atleast a few manual settings.

thetoxicmind said:
Reading the various reviews and test scores of the above models is just giving me a hard time deciding..
Each one seems better than the other at each review site.. ;)

So as of now,here's my list:

Canon IXUS 80 IS
Canon SX110 IS
Panasonic TZ5
Fujifilm FS5

Things I dont really need : HD rec.,wide angle lens,ultra compactness

Among the Canons,the ixus 80 is really great,well-reviewed for its image quality but only has a 3x zoom..
the sx110 on the other hand has got some good reviews(guess bcoz its relatively new) but has a 10x zoom,a total of 40x !
do i trust the scores from review sites just yet or just judge them from the actual specs..

well a camera might have good spec but its performance might be a different story such was the case for sony H9 everybody expected a lot since it had a 15x zoom,infra red night vision etc but that camera had lots of noise reduction induced artifacts.so reading reviews makes sense.

even if u take out HD and wide angle from ur criteria,the panasonic still has a very good lens,i would say in terms of still image quality the fuji f50fd is the best followed by panasonic TZ5 and at last canon Sx110,offcouse the difference is seen only if u are determined to find out.
but the canon and panasonic has that very useful zoom.i used to be a fan of ever so longer tele zoom but when i took the camera to a wedding or to shoot a static aircraft in airshow it was then that i realised how much i miss a wideangle lens.

thetoxicmind said:
thnx but i'm not considering anything lesser than 8mp ,just for it to be future-proof for sometime..
moreover,i require good shots in low light conditions and atleast a few manual settings.

errr...google for the megapixel myth :p For normal usage, 4-5MPs is enough for anyone ;) What counts is the lens and the sensor etc. The processing of course :)

More megapixels DOES NOT mean better pictures. In a compact, it usually means more noise :p

for mumbai prices u can refer to jjmehta .com , Digital Camera , Digital SLR , Video Camera , Apple iPod , mobiblu , Sandisk , prices in ur city might defer.....let me put it like this......and u would know what u have to do....

the ixus is like a mini toy...its goes into the shirt pocket and snugs in like its not there...its handy , u can dump it and move with it whereever u go....

IF u aint going to use manual functions too much THE IXUS its going to be....and the manual stuff aint too bad either.......so if u need something handy and u really need something u can carry around with ease its the IXUS...and the auto mode and all is just fab.......not used the ixus 80 but i've used my pals ixus 75 and i personally have a ixus 70 , so well.....u know wat i mean...i find my ixus 70 preety good...( without the IS that the 80 has!).....

now the downner....at times i really really miss the optical zoom on it.....3x is way to less....incase u wanna take a pic of a bird on a tree or some far of object , u ARE going to miss the optical zoom......thats the only downer i can think of.....so if u really need way more of optical zoom and a lot of manual controls to play around with then it has to be the Canon SX110 IS.....and then u would need to be Ok with the part of carrying it around...u would need to carry its backpack along....and yes, bulky a bit :)

never used or even read abt the Panasonic TZ5 or the fujifilm FS5 so i wont comment on the same here.....

Wow, what timing! I'm also thinking of buying a digicam in the 15K price range and am confused between the panasonic tz11(tz4 in US) and canon sx100/sx110 is models.

The wide angle on tz11 is very tempting but the canons have manual control, better indoor/low-light image quality. But, flash recycling time in Canons are bad (you can't take shots in quick succession using the flash because flash takes ~8 secs to recharge).

So, I'm not sure which features to compromise on though I'm currently leaning towards the tz11.

Please share your thoughts and help me finalize one.

Back