Storage Solutions best dvd writer to buy?

anaghdesai

Disciple
Hi,

I had a lite-on dvd writer which i used for the last 4 years. now after burning over 200 dvds it has now started giving me power calibration errors. So i was thinking of buying a new dvd writer. Now the problem is that LiteOn is no more, or rather taken over by MoserBaer. So are MoserBaer DVD writers still essentially LiteOns with Just a new face? Cause LiteOn burnt DVDs work best only on LiteOn. They refuse to read on LG and Samsung and all those sometimes.

Should I buy the MoserBaer? I recommended a frnd to buy it. 2 Years ago. Back then they were definitely LiteOn, and it still works fine. but don't know what's the status right now.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks.

maybe cause i burn them at 8X? it still runs, just doesnt burn DVDs. could be a system issue? I tried burning on Windows XP installed on the other drive. Still the same issue.

Lens becomes weak after a certain period. Get any dvd writer. Last time i checked samsung could read all dvds. Try reading those dvd with some of your other friends pc to make sure if they are readable. I for one will not buy a drive which gives exclusive rights for reading only on that single drive.

Maybe user specific but i liked samsung ones more. They did not give any scratches on the dvd when read. LG ones did scratch some of my dvds :mad:

I've never had issues in reading/writing any make of DVD's on any make of writers. Even on -R discs. The writers I've used are Samsung, Sony and HP (currently). Samsung and Sony had this issue of the tray needing a small tap to push in, when the button to load was pressed. HP seems to be running free of such an issue even after 1 and a half years and more than 200 discs burnt.

Are LG DVD-writers really good? Never got them but I've heard from people that their lenses really deteriorate after about 6 months and they stop working for RW media. Subsequently, after 6 more months, they stop working for writing on R media too and work only for reading. Any one care to comment?

I tried sony. Worked for me barely for a year. Had samsung since then. Works fine and flawlessly. It has been more than 4 years and using it from my old pc to the newer one and working fine for me.
I have had good experiences with samsung so far.

boogeyman said:
Are LG DVD-writers really good? Never got them but I've heard from people that their lenses really deteriorate after about 6 months and they stop working for RW media. Subsequently, after 6 more months, they stop working for writing on R media too and work only for reading. Any one care to comment?
overall i had 3 LG DVD-writers, one was IDE, which i sold off in working condition burning more than 100 DVD's/CD's, now i have 2 SATA LG DVD-writers, burned simultaneously more than 600 DVD's/CD's, still working fine.

strictly use branded DVD's/CD's only & burn it on a lowest speed.

Hmmm, yeah sony is bad. i had a sony, which stopped working within 3 months. that too had the same exclusive dvd burning and viewing thing that liteon had. then i got the liteon on which those dvds would read.

okay so go for LG then? I use moserbaer only, burn at 8X.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

anyone has any experience with moserbaer dvd writers?

I for know that initially the sony ones were made by lite on. So your experience was similar.
Choose any one which you can get for cheap.

no sony was a benQ core?
LiteOn was independent I think and now it's just rebranded as MoserBaer. the only reason i am leaning towards moserbaer is cause i already got like 200 dvds burnt on it. I dont want them to stop working.

I've 2x BenQ DW-1650 & they burn like a charm. Been using since 2006... Apart from the trey which gives problem its pretty good... Already done 500+ burns...

Well me to a liteon fan but it was taken by moserbaer 3-4 yrs back so since then using moserbaer & till date facing no issues whatsoever with it. Burnt all type of roadsides & branded cd/dvds & the job was perfectly done in one shot. Never ever any of my media went bad with it during & after burning since yr2007.

I suggested it to many people who complianed of sony & the crappy samsung drive and they too found this as a jewel. :D...some happy stories to tell out there..its still serving all of them even today..:cool2:

So happily go for moserbaer.:hap2:

Back