Best/fast Application to rip/convert DVD to MP4 or MKV

jinvidia

Adept
please suggest the best software for the above purpose and the resultant video file should be compatible with my SOny Bravia LCD...

The DVD contains 4.3GB Vob files (1GB x 4). The app should be fast too without much compromise in video quality . please suggest

thanx in advance...

please suggest the best software for the above purpose and the resultant video file should be compatible with my SOny Bravia LCD...

The DVD contains 4.3GB Vob files (1GB x 4). The app should be fast too without much compromise in video quality . please suggest

thanx in advance...

Two converters which i use are FormatFactory and Handbrake.
Handbrake is good to use.
A simple solution is FormatFactory. In that you can convert audio or video into many formats. I'm using it since a long time and had no problems using it.
Beware of FormatFactory. You can't stop using once if you use it.:bleh:

If your TV can play .VOB files then no need to convert anything, just extract the different videos (movies or whatever) using DVD Decrypter.
I am not talking about just copying those 4 .VOB files that you already have but rather make separate .VOB for each movie or video / chapter.

Handbrake is great if you want to rip DVDs, and also for conversion. If you find it difficult to use, you can also try :

ViCoder : VidCoder - Home
OR
EasyBrake : EasyBrake | Free Audio & Video software downloads at SourceForge.net

Both are based on Handbrake.

You can look at more free rippers here :

Best Free DVD Ripper

For conversion, Freemake Video Converter, FormatFactory are quite good. Easy to use, and work great. Take a look at this review for free converters, including the above two suggestions.

Best Free Audio-Video Format Conversion Program

+ Handbrake.
If the dvd files are home made and no copy protected, handbrake would be a great tool to rip dvd files to mp4 or MKV.
If the DVD are commercial drm protected, You can't rip straight from DVD with a vanilla copy of handbrake, it can't get round the CSS encryption that comes on most DVD's.
I use AppGeeker DVD Ripper to decrypt DVD and convert to mp4 or mkv file format. You can find out more about it here:
How to rip dvd to .mp4
This guide will walk you through the process
Try it and hope it works.

the converter provided by amd is the *fastest* converter on ati cards. I think its avivo or something.
on the other hand the converter for NVidia should support cuda. I don't know exactly which one supports.
On intel 3rd gen install all the drivers provided by intel, they offload the encoding to the onchip graphics card.

Other than that no other software can provide you the fastest encoding. some of them provide a lot of customization and others mostly have lot of profiles. but all the free softwares use x264.exe and I don't think it offloads the encoding to gpu.

I used DVDFab with a i3 3rd gen to try out QuickSync. Converted avi to mp4. about 9 hours of video is transcoded per hour.

However, i found quicksync lacking in image quality compared to software encoding. Will be transcoding my old movies to mp4 using VidCoder, shall be borowing a i7 from a friend.

Back