Graphic Cards Best GPU for gaming @ 1440*900

^^^ If u are into gaming only why don't u just pick up a Phenom II X4 955 B.E. 3.2GHz @ 8k???

It's actually a better option and will provide same or greater performance (in games) than the X6 1055T(which is 2.8GHz)

thegame said:
I thoguht of 5770 but to be frank i want to play GTA 4 fully maxed out (saw a video in youtube where it was running almost as smooth as in real life using a 5850, so fell in love with 5850:)) and also the upcoming ones Crysis2 and Mafia2

So from your replies and my system specs, I hope

5770 - I guess GTA4 and the big guns in Crysis wont fire that much

5850 - Guess will do the job

5870 - Better than 5850 but some 7k less than 5850 Vapor X

GTA 4 and crysis are quad core optimized, they perform a lot better on quad core with min 4GB RAM. Same will be the case with Upcoming games like crysis 2 and mafia 2. 5850 can do the job, provided rest of the setup doesn't bottleneck it.

Your setup will bottleneck a 5850, more so in GTA4. GTA4 is more processor bound. Its runs good on quad core with 4GB RAM. Upgrade the rest of your setup like SidhuScorpion has suggested and then go for GPU upgrade. If its only for gaming go for a quad core phenom II or better.

At 1400x900 a 5770 is more than enough. It should handle GTA 4 at almost max settings provided it is paired with quad core & 4GB RAM.

If you have the budget after upgrading rest of your setup then go for a 5850.

Thanks a lot comp@ddict and viki for your quad core suggestion but currently have no plans to change my CPU :(

Am planning to upgrade my RAM, my current RAM is two sticks of 1 GB DDR 2 800 MHz Corsair bought in May 2008.
Model: Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 G (2*1GB)[XMS2 CM2X1024-6400]
The data on each RAM module says CM2X1024-6400, 1.90V ver5.2, 5-5-5-12,8000MHz,1024MB,XMS2-6400,1450960,08170402.
I checked with Corsair support and this is what they mentioned..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We would strongly suggest you to remove the current modules and install a new set of TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX (2x 2GB RAM kit) for total 4GB. We highly recommend that for the following reasons:

1. There will be a lot more stresses on the memory controller on the system when all memory slots are filled; to compensate for these stresses, memory controller will need to run these modules at a slower speed. The best analogy is car performance; the more passengers you have, the slower the car goes. You will have to balance between performance and capacity when comes to adding more RAM to the system.

2. The IC chips used to make the modules you have has gone out of production. The newer TWIN2X2048-6400 modules are based on different IC chips and they may or may not work correctly with the one you have since different IC chips may give slightly different electronic reaction. Especially the chipset you have requires identical RAM modules.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I checked with Delta here and the price of TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX (2x 2GB RAM kit)
TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX (2x 2GB RAM kit) is Rs. 7650
http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX.pdf

Hmmm i guess i could settle with the normal DDR2 800 Mhz RAM instead of the Dominator series..

So guys please tell me whether can i just add another 2 1GB sticks and my mobo's RAM slot, will that affect my sys performance a lot??

or sell of the current RAM and get 2 2GB sticks of the normal ones, should be around 4.5-5k.

I checked with Delta and he said he will take in the old 1 GB RAM for 400-500 only so thats total 800-1000 for the old RAM, sidhuscorpion you had mentioned 1.9k guess i have to go only half of that :(

Sorry please let me know if i have to post the RAM question in some other area as at first glance couldnt find a section for Memory/RAM

So please let me know whether can I add a single 2GB RAM or 2 1GB RAM or replace my old RAM and get 2 2GB RAM:S

thegame said:
Thanks a lot comp@ddict and viki for your quad core suggestion but currently have no plans to change my CPU :(

Am planning to upgrade my RAM, my current RAM is two sticks of 1 GB DDR 2 800 MHz Corsair bought in May 2008.
Model: Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 G (2*1GB)[XMS2 CM2X1024-6400]
The data on each RAM module says CM2X1024-6400, 1.90V ver5.2, 5-5-5-12,8000MHz,1024MB,XMS2-6400,1450960,08170402.
I checked with Corsair support and this is what they mentioned..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We would strongly suggest you to remove the current modules and install a new set of TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX (2x 2GB RAM kit) for total 4GB. We highly recommend that for the following reasons:

1. There will be a lot more stresses on the memory controller on the system when all memory slots are filled; to compensate for these stresses, memory controller will need to run these modules at a slower speed. The best analogy is car performance; the more passengers you have, the slower the car goes. You will have to balance between performance and capacity when comes to adding more RAM to the system.

2. The IC chips used to make the modules you have has gone out of production. The newer TWIN2X2048-6400 modules are based on different IC chips and they may or may not work correctly with the one you have since different IC chips may give slightly different electronic reaction. Especially the chipset you have requires identical RAM modules.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I checked with Delta here and the price of TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX (2x 2GB RAM kit)
TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX (2x 2GB RAM kit) is Rs. 7650
http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX.pdf

Hmmm i guess i could settle with the normal DDR2 800 Mhz RAM instead of the Dominator series..

So guys please tell me whether can i just add another 2 1GB sticks and my mobo's RAM slot, will that affect my sys performance a lot??

or sell of the current RAM and get 2 2GB sticks of the normal ones, should be around 4.5-5k.

I checked with Delta and he said he will take in the old 1 GB RAM for 400-500 only so thats total 800-1000 for the old RAM, sidhuscorpion you had mentioned 1.9k guess i have to go only half of that :(

Sorry please let me know if i have to post the RAM question in some other area as at first glance couldnt find a section for Memory/RAM

So please let me know whether can I add a single 2GB RAM or 2 1GB RAM or replace my old RAM and get 2 2GB RAM:S
Guys please post your suggestions on the below RAM choice

1) Add a single 2GB RAM to the existing 2 * 1GB RAM
2) Add 2 1 GB RAM to the existing 2 * 1GB RAM
3) replace my old RAM and get 2 2GB RAM

Just checked with delta and here the price quotes..

2GB DDR2 800 MHz
Kingston @ Rs.2350 each
Corsair @ 2900
Corsair XMS2 Series 2*2GB Kit = Rs.6950

GTA 4 requires a Quad core CPU for good framerate...
So better upgrade to Core to quad.
Ex. Q6600 or Q6700 runs on your mobo now.
They are great.
I use Q6600 and it is really good...

Good choice of GPU though.
But i prefer nVidia to Ati any day...

If you are from chennai you need to check with Sethia for sapphire if you want to buy it locally ..... they quoted like 16500 inclusive of taxes for me ... as far as ram is ... chaning the pairing is not gonna give optimum performance in dual channel ... so would be be better to get 2x 2 GB rather then 2x 1GB and 1 X 2 GB.

teja92 said:
GTA 4 requires a Quad core CPU for good framerate...
So better upgrade to Core to quad.
Ex. Q6600 or Q6700 runs on your mobo now.
They are great.
I use Q6600 and it is really good...

Good choice of GPU though.
But i prefer nVidia to Ati any day...
Thanks teja but sorry dude cant go for a CPU change now and even I was a big fan of nVidia for the last 7 years, all my three cards from them and from XFX but these Fermi dont seem to impress at all. 465 is about 13% slower than 5850 at the same price point:( so planned to go the RED way...

techPowerUp :: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 465 Review :: Page 29 / 33

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

kolguy said:
If you are from chennai you need to check with Sethia for sapphire if you want to buy it locally ..... they quoted like 16500 inclusive of taxes for me ... as far as ram is ... chaning the pairing is not gonna give optimum performance in dual channel ... so would be be better to get 2x 2 GB rather then 2x 1GB and 1 X 2 GB.
Yes buddy am from Chennai and I checked with Navin and he told me to check with Albert and he said he doesnt have Sapphire brand and the prices of 5850 are as on their site again it was like some 2-3 ,months before www.deltapage.com which i find some 1.5k pricer than the ones in Mumbai..

Can you please tell me which model you got i.e. the normal one or any toxic or vaporx which i seriously doubt:D:bleh:

And yeah about some searching guess will sell off my old RAM and get 2*2GB ones, any suggestions on the brand?? kingstion for 4700 or corsair xms2 for 6900, i have xms2 currently and so far no issues for the last 2 years but want to know whether kingston will be good, am not going to do any thing with the RAM i.e OC just need 4GB of RAM:D

No sethia is a distro in richie street :p mine is a vanilla HD 5850 dont think the vapor x was released in India when i got mine ... about 5 months ago :eek:hyeah:

from my research around richie street the high graphics card has little or no market here ... so very few shops stock it ...the once that do demand a premium... i got mine from ITWares and i would recommend him without blinking a eye ... but if you prefer it locally then you need to go to Sethia.

kolguy said:
No sethia is a distro in richie street :p mine is a vanilla HD 5850 dont think the vapor x was released in India when i got mine ... about 5 months ago :eek:hyeah:

from my research around richie street the high graphics card has little or no market here ... so very few shops stock it ...the once that do demand a premium... i got mine from ITWares and i would recommend him without blinking a eye ... but if you prefer it locally then you need to go to Sethia.
thank god you replied quickly as i was about again check with Delta :)

guess i will go northwards for the first time for my pc :) :)

Few people would tell you this, but this will help you before you do a graphic card upgrade:

Core i5
4GB RAM
OC your card

If you still need to upgrade, then upgrade to a 5850 or higher, but a Core i5 is a must.

Your CPU can't use a 4850 fully, leave alone a 5850. And games of the future (2011) will need 6-8GB RAM, so 4GB is what you need right now.

A Core i5 + 4GB + 8800GT OCed can easily handle 90-95% of the games at 1440x900 and the upcoming games of 2010 should also run at high(perhaps not max) or at least high/medium settings.

But a 5850 with your CPU can't run games at max settings either, maybe not even at high settings very comfortably.

Back