Best Inverter AC in India? Edit: Bought Sharp AH-XP18MV (AC discontinued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome analysis and explanations RishiGuru. I knew nothing about air conditioner technology but going through your thread already feel 10x smarter. You seem you have done intense market research and have a lot of personal experiences with these.

I am looking to phase out two of my old Voltas window AC units for my two rooms and install splits ACs. I thought of buying 5 star rated Hitachi splits but it seems inverter ACs are much better.

Both my rooms are of 4 X 4.5 sq meter on the top floor which remains quite sunny all the time. Any suggestions?

Any members help will be most welcome.

for a 4 X 4.5 sq mt which is roughly 195 sq ft you can definitely go in either for a 1.5T inverter AC or 2T regular AC. It all depends on how much you use the AC because if you use it for a limited time then the cost savings do not justify the initial investment needed for inverter AC's. Lets take an example. Major AC players claim that there is a 30% power saving by installing inverter AC's. Now check your electric bills during summer and other months. Say for example during winters your monthly bill is around Rs. 1000 and during summers its around Rs. 3000 then you can assume that the AC part would be appx extra Rs. 1000-1200 (because you would also be using ceiling fans / refrigerator runs for extra hours, etc.) Now at 30% savings it is around 300 saved during summer months. Now say if you run the AC for around 5 months in a year - the appx savings per year are just Rs. 1500-2000. Extra investment needed by inverter ACs range from 10-20k extra compared to non inverter based ACs. Hence, considering if you put that money in the bank at 9% interest - you can run your non inverter based AC for free from the interest itself :). The scenario completely changes if you run your AC for longer hours - then definitely yes, inverter ACs save a lot of money and you can recover your investment faster.

In short count the number of hours you run your AC - say if its 4 hours a day then 4 X 1500 w (for 1.5t / around 1800-2000w for 2 T) so its 6000. i.e 6 units per day - cost of electricity say if its 6 then 6*6 = Rs 36 per day. Say you run for 5 months so Rs. 5400. If we take the claim of invert ACs that they save 30% power so max savings would be Rs. 1500 / 5 months.

Awesome analysis and explanations RishiGuru

You are most welcome.

I knew nothing about air conditioner technology but going through your thread already feel 10x smarter.

Thanks for the complements.

You seem you have done intense market research and have a lot of personal experiences with these.

I am not the kind of person who buys a consumer product because Mr. ‘X’ has recommended buying product ‘Y’ from manufacturer ‘Z’. After haplessly wandering in the forums for a month or so I understood people in India are still happily using stone age star rated non-Inverter technology filled with R22 gas where as the world have moved on to a whole new level with Inverters, filled with energy efficient and environmentally friendly R410A refrigerant gas.

Simply put Inverters are the way to go, no matter if they cost more or less. In Japan, people do not think about how many hours they are going to use them, they just buy Inverter ACs. Thus all ACs in Japan are Inverters. They not only look at the money aspect, they also save precious energy and environment.

I thought of buying 5 star rated Hitachi splits but it seems inverter ACs are much better. Both my rooms are of 4 X 4.5 sq meter on the top floor which remains quite sunny all the time. Any suggestions?

You can either opt for a 1.5 Ton Inverter or a 2 Ton, 5-star rated non-Inverter air conditioner. Personally I am amazed by the performance of my Sharp Inverters. And I feel you were in a mood of buying Hitachi 5-star non-Inverters splits. Since 5-star Hitachi cost a bomb, let us compare the prices of 3 star Hitachi’s with Sharp Inverters which I got in Kolkata:

Sharp 1.5 Ton Inverter Air Conditioner with in-built Plasmacluster Air Purifier (Model No: AH-XP18MV): INR 41K

Hitachi 2 Ton, 3-Star non-Inverter Air Conditioner with i-Clean Technology (Model No: RAU321ISD): INR 48K

In the end of the day if you opt for Hitachi i-Clean with near obsolete 3-star non-Inverter technology over Sharp Inverters which are definitely the future, you end up paying 7K more along with heftier electric bills. The 7K premium you pay is for the brand image of ‘Hitachi India’.

And if you can cough up 3K more than this Hitachi, you end up with the 2 Ton Sharp Inverter which simply put will blow Hitachi out of the window in terms of cooling performance and energy savings. So you see as many FMs beat the drum of additional initial investment towards Inverters, are not always true. If you want my advice, I will always say go for Inverters eyes closed. They are the future.

Now the choice is up to you.

@anirudh - as suggested by @RishiGuru above, do not look at specific brands. Check for their cooling, power efficiency, after sales and support. What might be good and highly recommended in one region would not suite the other region. Even the after sales and support play an important role because thats what matters. With Sharp I have personal experience with multiple products of Sharp and in my region their service is extra ordinary. A call in the morning and usually the technical person reaches my house by afternoon or evening. Also one more suggestion - buy only from brands that manufacture their own products. Like many brands simply put their logo on the AC and sell it - so do some research. After sales support and part availability are utmost priority. Because you do not want a product however good it may be, that when it fails, the parts need to be ordered and your machine is down for a week or more.

Last edited by a moderator:
RishiGuru and prtk once again thanks for the great explanation. I have decided to move towards inverter Ac. It seems 1.5 Ton for my two rooms will do the job.

I went to some shops here and it seems Sharp, Hitachi and Daikin all have very good after sales service. Sharp inverters are no doubt great value for money, but I do confess I am a little inclined towards Hitachi. Unfortunately their inverter is going to hurt my wallet by 15000 rupees more than the sharp.

I have decided to fit the Hitachi on my bedroom and the Sharp on my parent’s room. My parent’s room remains a little bit on the warmer side than ours during the summer months, so let see. Will swapping the Acs and installing the Hitachi on my parents room be a better idea? Please help.
Prtk, which brands should I avoid? It will be great if you help me out on this.

@vinay.pathak - Well there are no fixed brands but the ones recommended by most are Mitsubishi Heavy Industry (not Mitsubishi Electric), O General, Sharp, Hitachi and Daikin. Also Voltas is good but in non inverter based. I had also evaluated multiple ACs and currently some time back Sharp had an offer too 0 down payment, 0% 1 year EMI Scheme wherein you could install the AC and then pay in EMI so you should check if that scheme is still running because even if you have the money it makes sense to keep it in the bank and earn some interest as its a 100% genuine 0% interest scheme. Sharp personally I have multiple products and quite happy with their service and support (just needed it once for the washing machine) not yet for the AC. Also inverter ACs like Sharp have an option to run the AC at lower wattage so before you buy check if the other model you have evaluated has this feature. What it means is that if you buy a 1.5 T AC then at full it will run at full load then they have power saver modes where in in runs at I believe 1T and .7 or .8T so you can reduce the power consumption a great deal, say first hour you can have it on full and once room cools you can switch to lower load and save lots of electricity.

vinay.pathak - Well there are no fixed brands but the ones recommended by most are Mitsubishi Heavy Industry (not Mitsubishi Electric), O General, Sharp, Hitachi and Daikin. Also Voltas is good but in non inverter based.

I have seen Mitsubishi Heavy Industry air conditioners but only non-inverter models. Do they have inverter models available in India? Is their any dedicated websites in India?

Sharp 1.5 Ton Inverter Air Conditioner with in-built Plasmacluster Air Purifier (Model No: AH-XP18MV): INR 41K
You snagged a pretty good deal :p Dealers in Chennai aren't going below 49K.

Edit: Not sure if I missed this. How much did you pay for installation? What extras did you need to get - Voltage stabiliser, brackets, etc?

@RishiGuru - will check with someone where its available and let you know if I find info where the Mitsubishi Heavy Industry invert AC is available. As far as I know, I am sure one of my friends mentioned he had got it installed at his place around a year back so will recheck if its inverter based or non inverter based as the cost he had mentioned was also very steep at over 60k
@Crazy_Eddy - yes I am also surprised with the pricing of 41k on the 1.5T Sharp Inverter AC. The best deal I could find with installation was 45k but they did mention that there is a 0% EMI offer going on so if you buy via that - you can save some money as you need to pay in EMI's that too 0% so even if you keep money in bank at 7-9% you can gain some part of it. I calculated that could save around 1500-2000 (the interest you could get on the money in the bank) till the EMIs are paid. But no one was ready to offer upfront offer / discount.

RishiGuru - will check with someone where its available and let you know if I find info where the Mitsubishi Heavy Industry invert AC is available. As far as I know, I am sure one of my friends mentioned he had got it installed at his place around a year back so will recheck if its inverter based or non inverter based as the cost he had mentioned was also very steep at over 60k

So nice of you. Thanks.

You snagged a pretty good deal. Dealers in Chennai aren't going below 49K.

I am also surprised with the pricing of 41k on the 1.5T Sharp Inverter AC. The best deal I could find with installation was 45k

I always snag a good deal. Atleast while buying consumer electronics product. There are some reasons behind it as stated below:

1) Starting extensive market research via web and personal presence in showrooms few months prior to the target buying date. This will enable you to know the real flow of market other than getting brainwashed by the sales representative.
2) Never go by what the sales representative says or insists to buy. Avoid hype. Sales representative are always going to push for products which gives them the best incentive.
3) Build an extensive technological knowledge base, what is currently going in the international scenario rather than Indian context, which consumer companies are the technological leaders in their field and their offering.
4) Pinning down your requirement based on study and availability along with after sales service.

Once I have decided the product I need to buy is Sharp Eco-Inverter 1.5 Ton Air Conditioner with in-built Plasmacluster Ion air purifier, I enter the market to strategically gun for the lowest price.

Here also there are some rules I follow:

1) Knowing the dealers of our city and constantly communicating via phone. In Kolkata there are at around seventy Sharp dealers. I called all 70 of them.
2) Take the lowest quote from an established on-line store as a starting point to bargain. In my case it was INR 44.5K.
3) Step by step go down by 500 rupees and see how the dealer responds.
4) After I called at around thirty dealers the price have plummeted down by 44.5K .. 44K .. 43.5K .. 43K .. 42.5K .. 42K
5) Now the job gets harder since dealer profit is very minimal now, so lot of them starts refusing the 42K offer.
6) The strategy to follow now is to gun for small electronic shops who are also dealers. There daily expenses to run the store are 1/20th of a king sized fully air conditioned showroom and they truly chime for customers knowing very well they have to offer products at rock bottom prices or else customers are not going to come.
7) Targeting these shops price same down even further down to 41.8K .. 41.5K .. 41.3K and was becoming a constant now.
8) Lastly there was one who said 41K and it was his final offer challenging nobody in Kolkata can beat his price. He was right.
9) With my bargaining boat coasted in the appropriate dealer harbor, I got two of them at 41K each.
10) Mission accomplished with free delivery to home.

... you can save some money as you need to pay in EMI's that too 0% so even if you keep money in bank at 7-9% you can gain some part of it. I calculated that could save around 1500-2000 (the interest you could get on the money in the bank) till the EMIs are paid. But no one was ready to offer upfront offer / discount.

Going by EMI’s with 0% interest is not going to reap the best deal. The banks/ insurance comapnies providing such schemes do not do business for free. The interests are hidden and are not taken from the customer but from the dealer. So the dealer raises the price of the product since he is also here doing the business for profit making.

CASH is the best. For my case INR 43.5K was the best price I got for 0% EMI schemes, in cash 41K.

Not sure if I missed this. How much did you pay for installation? What extras did you need to get - Voltage stabiliser, brackets, etc?

In Kolkata we are blessed by Calcutta Electric Supply Corporation (CESC). CESC is a private organization. We do not have blackouts, power failures or voltage fluctuations here. Last year there was one single power failure in my home for 5 mins. I cannot remember the date. Since there are no major power fluctuations, ACs here run without stabilizers. No one buy stabilizers here. But this Godly service comes at a price and cost per unit is high. Hence Inverters.

Extras that came free with Sharp air conditioners are:

1) 4m Copper Tubes for both gas and liquid side of class leading 0.8mm thickness
2) 4m XPE insulation for both gas and liquid side tubes of white color which reflect heat
3) 4m 4 core electric copper cables to connect IDU with ODU
4) 4m drain pipe
5) Surgical gloves to be used by installers. Our installer was very happy to see that atleast one company in India are including this with their kits.
6) Cleaning cloth
7) A packaging box that contain all of the above accessories.

Our installer is no ordinary installer. While uncertified air conditioner installers are available from Rs.600, ours are a professionally trained air conditioner installer with over 30 years of experience in Dubai. Naturally I knew it is going to cost me a good deal more and it did. I wanted a zero compromise installation as it is the key area where performance of any air conditioner goes down the drain when fitted with sub standard installers. These guys use surgical gloves while performing installation, use extensive tools, drills and pumps sets that I have never seen in other AC installations. You see the professionalism in them.

Including two pairs of best quality ODU brackets (INR 1.6K) available in the market, total expenses of installation for my two air conditioners was INR 5K. Five stars to my installation.

Thanks RishiGuru, very Informative thread.
I'm planning to buy inverter AC for my two rooms(possibly 3). From you post I didn't get an idea if it's a multi-split AC(with 2 indoor and one outdoor unit) or just two seperate units. Could you clarify?

RishiGuru and prtk once again thanks for the great explanation.

You are most welcome.

I have decided to move towards inverter Ac.

Wise decision. Stick to it.

Sharp inverters are no doubt great value for money

Sharp inverters give the biggest bang for the buck. No doubt in it.

… but I do confess I am a little inclined towards Hitachi. Unfortunately their inverter is going to hurt my wallet by 15000 rupees more than the sharp.

Hitachi inverters are equally good as Sharp ones at least in cooling, but as for their No. 1 elite status ONLY applicable to India you end up paying more. It’s more like a Mercedes Benz E class car in India where as in Germany it used as a taxi. Similarly in Japan Hitachi are just as good as others and not the best. If you have an affinity to buy them you can go for it.

I have decided to fit the Hitachi on my bedroom and the Sharp on my parent’s room. My parent’s room remains a little bit on the warmer side than ours during the summer months, so let see. Will swapping the Acs and installing the Hitachi on my parents room be a better idea? Please help.

Install the Sharp in the room where the air conditioner is going to run for most of the time. In 1.5 Ton inverter category in India, Sharp have the highest rated cooling performance measured in EER of 3.66 (W/W) and the second highest cooling capacity travelling range of 4.40kw, where as the Hitachi is second best EER of 3.51 and are is last in cooling capacity travelling range of 3.67kw. This implies under part load conditions when the air conditioner have reached targeted set temperature, the Sharp will use much less power to maintain the set temperature and be more economical. Refer to my posts 7 & 17 of this thread for further details.

Hi @RishiGuru
I too agree
CASH is the best.
But when I approached multiple dealers no one was ready to offer any upfront cash offer. All said rate is same irrespective of whether you buy via cash or EMI. They say its an offer from Sharp so its up to us whether to take the 0% offer or not. Even if we pay by cash/cheque the rate remains same. In the price installation, installation kit like the one you mentioned, outside unit stand & transportation. Hence, I think net net even your rate would be somewhere around 44k-45k as you have mentioned installation cost you around 1.5k and stand around 1.5k.

I do agree small shops gave a better price but I think here no one was ready to reduce prices. The larger shops gave rates between 47k-49k while smaller ones gave between 45k-46k. But all mentioned the 0% offer.
@Soul2018 - mostly its a good idea to have two separate units rather than a multi-room unit mainly because the cooling pipe would run a long distance between rooms thus reducing efficiency where as if its individual unit

Thanks RishiGuru, very Informative thread.

You are most welcome.

I'm planning to buy inverter AC for my two rooms(possibly 3). From you post I didn't get an idea if it's a multi-split AC(with 2 indoor and one outdoor unit) or just two seperate units. Could you clarify?

I am using two separate units, 2 IDUs (Sharp AH-XP18MV) coupled with 2 separate ODUs (Sharp AU-X18MV). My requirement was two 2 horsepower air conditioners which will run asynchronously. Hence opted for two 1.5 Ton capacity Inverter splits. On the other hand if the requirement was to run them synchronously would have definitely opted for Inverter multi-split air conditioners. Sharp AU-X3M24LV, 2.5 Ton Inverter multi split supporting three indoor units (1 Ton + .75 Ton + .75 Ton) is one such example.

EDIT: Two Sharp AH-XP18MV of total 1.5 X 2 = 3 Ton cooling capacity cost me INR 82K, where as the 2.5 Ton Sharp AU-X18MV multi-split costs 97K. So it did not make sense to go for multi-splits.

vinay.pathak - Well there are no fixed brands but the ones recommended by most are Mitsubishi Heavy Industry (not Mitsubishi Electric), O General, Sharp, Hitachi and Daikin. Also Voltas is good but in non inverter based. I had also evaluated multiple ACs and currently some time back Sharp had an offer too 0 down payment, 0% 1 year EMI Scheme wherein you could install the AC and then pay in EMI so you should check if that scheme is still running because even if you have the money it makes sense to keep it in the bank and earn some interest as its a 100% genuine 0% interest scheme. Sharp personally I have multiple products and quite happy with their service and support (just needed it once for the washing machine) not yet for the AC. Also inverter ACs like Sharp have an option to run the AC at lower wattage so before you buy check if the other model you have evaluated has this feature. What it means is that if you buy a 1.5 T AC then at full it will run at full load then they have power saver modes where in in runs at I believe 1T and .7 or .8T so you can reduce the power consumption a great deal, say first hour you can have it on full and once room cools you can switch to lower load and save lots of electricity.

Prtk if EMI schemes are available I will go for another one ton AC along with my two 1.5 ton requirement. Since the room where 1 ton will do service will be seldom used, I am thinking of having a normal ac. Can you state some good 5 star 1 ton acs.

I have got the quote of the sharp 1.5 ton at 45000 where as the Hitachi will be available at just 50000. So price difference will be just 5000 instead of 15000 as rishiguru suggested. I am having this discount since the Hitachi is old stock. But is completely sealed unit.

I am so happy.

Hi RishiGuru
I too agree
CASH is the best.

But when I approached multiple dealers no one was ready to offer any upfront cash offer. All said rate is same irrespective of whether you buy via cash or EMI. They say its an offer from Sharp so its up to us whether to take the 0% offer or not. Even if we pay by cash/cheque the rate remains same…. I do agree small shops gave a better price but I think here no one was ready to reduce prices. The larger shops gave rates between 47k-49k while smaller ones gave between 45k-46k. But all mentioned the 0% offer.

It seems Sharp distributors over there are much more strict in following a standard market price. Here we can bargain a lot; and every time I went to a dealer with an ultra low price quote, they contacted the distributers via phone in front of me stressing:

1. Customer is ready to buy in cash
  2. He is ready to buy two units.
I believe both the above factors influenced the distributer in providing the units at such an unbelievable low price. These are my assumptions by the way.

In the price installation, installation kit like the one you mentioned, outside unit stand & transportation. Hence, I think net net even your rate would be somewhere around 44k-45k as you have mentioned installation cost you around 1.5k and stand around 1.5k.

Price Paid for two Sharp 1.5 Ton Inverter air conditioners: 82K
Price Paid for the installation including two ODU brackets: 5K
Total Price: 82K + 5K = 87K

Total cost per air conditioner: 87/2 = 43.5K

prtk as you mentioned before, the 45K price you got for sharp 1.5 Ton Inverter includes brackets, installation and voltage stabilizer too? If so it is an awesome deal.

@RishiGuru no it does not include voltage stabilizer as we have a whole house servo stabilizer so no need for separate stabilizers for each device. the price included the AC!, installation, brackets and transportation to our house (quite away from the city).

RishiGuru no it does not include voltage stabilizer as we have a whole house servo stabilizer so no need for separate stabilizers for each device. the price included the AC!, installation, brackets and transportation to our house (quite away from the city).

Then I see the difference between my quote of 43.5K and yours 45K is just 1.5K, which truly speaking is not that much.

If they provide an installer as good as mine (which I doubt will never be the case) and the quality of the brackets are the best out there, then for 45K it is a great deal!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back