best phone in 10k budget.

harryneopotter

NEO is my middle name
Adept
Hello guys,

I am currently using Pantech Burst, the VFM super-phone :p. Now my younger sister is asking me to get the same for her. I dont like the idea of we both using the same phones. So I am thinking giving my Pantech to her, and get myself a new one. Hence the thread. So here it goes :

I am inclined to get Lumia 520. Seems like a good phone for the price. Though i havent used WP phones much (apart from occasional glances at friend's phones), i want to try the new OS. Here is my usage pattern :

Communication
  • Calls (not a lot .. but looong ones most of the times)
  • Texts (not frequent ..but still worth mentioning. Though i hate typing on touch screens)
  • Watsapp (more often than texts)
  • Facebook (very very frequent, almost everyday)
  • Skype (once in a blue moon, when i dont have access to PC and need to talk urgently on skype..rarely happens)
  • Gtalk (Same as skype)
  • Emails (Same as skype)
Entertainment
  • Videos (sumtimes, when i am away or at the Pot :p )
  • Music (Very rare, but i do have around 3 GB of songs on the phone)
  • Games (sumtimes, not much heavy games though )
  • Misc random fun apps
Tools
  • GPS ( A must have, need good navigation capabilities)
  • Camera (would like to have a good camera. Very satisfied with Pantech's cam.)
  • Flash (need it often when its dark, to use as torch)
  • 3G Tether ( when PC net goes down, have to use phone's 3G to surf on the PC- VERY IMPORTANT)
  • Browsing Internet (Often)
Productivity
  • PDF/office reader (Mostly pdfs, very less other documents)
So, I am very satisfied with the burst as of now .. except at times when it slows down for a few mins ( CPU Usage 100% .. no idea why) and lags (using Gizmolord 3.0). Otherwise, fulfilling all my requirements.
Now the Questions :
  • Should I switch to Lumia 520 ? Absence of flash is the most prominent negative point for me, as I am unsure of its performance in the departments mentioned above.
  • If not Lumia, then which one ? Budget is 10k (at most 12). Few contenders - Karbonn S1 Titanium, UMI S1, UMI X2. The downside of these phones are :
    1. Unreliable Quality and After Sales.
    2. Anything above 4"/4.3" is a nightmare for single handed usage, and Denim Pockets
    3. A bit low Single core/thread CPU Power, considering not many apps are optimized for Multi cores/threads.
    4. No idea about their Availability.
  • Or should I keep the burst, and give her Lumia instead ?
Thanks for your replies in advance :)

looking at your preferences, burst seems to fit the bill.

but have you unlocked the tethering function of the burst?. if not i think even lumia does not support tether( from what i have heard from friends using lumia 620).

nokia would have better build quality and better battery backup.

do you intend to play mkv files? then nokia especially windows is going to disappoint you. if you do away with mp4 , it should work fine.

on GPS front , do you intend to use offline GPS or online? if online then google maps is the best right with ample info on the go.
else sygic for android and Ndrive (nokia maps) can be a better substitute for offline maps. there are some drawbacks with nokia maps, but they wont be as pronounced unless you intend to take up a long tour through the interior of cities etc.

Since my brother owns a 620, here's a little list i've come up with

Pros of 520 over Burst
1)Better GPU (305 is better than 220 or even 225)
2)16m colors over 262k (but human eyes can discern only 10m colors)
3)Better Battery Backup (WP8 is more efficient than Android)
4)Better Out of Box Experience (subjective)
5)Great After sales support (as opposed to none with Burst)
6)Looks more premium (again, subjective)
7)Better Processor (Krait 1.2GHz beats Scorpion 1.5GHz)
8)No Microlags, interface is instantly responsive

Cons of 520 over Burst
1)WP8 is very closed and constricted environment and lacks the flexibility of Android (This Kinda negates the Pros #1,#2,#7)
2)No Flash
3)Lesser availability of games and apps
4)512MB RAM over 1GB in Burst
5)Little media support (WP8 can't play .mkv, ac3, DD1 etc etc etc)
6)Lesser Internal Storage (4gb in 520, 16GB in Burst, 12GB available)
7)Almost any app you require would be "Paid" or even Unavailable in WP8

Go for Micromax A110. it has practically everything that you need, packaged in a 5" screen at a price that perfectly fits ur budget. i would suggest to get a hands on exp first from some friend or mall. i have seen and used it and it is a breeze to work on this phone

regds Sanchita

Go for Micromax A110. it has practically everything that you need, packaged in a 5" screen at a price that perfectly fits ur budget. i would suggest to get a hands on exp first from some friend or mall. i have seen and used it and it is a breeze to work on this phone

regds Sanchita (www.indiacod.com)

I would politely suggest you to read the whole thread again. If not the whole thread, then just my posts.

thanks

Post some benchies of the phone
what's the GPU?
and Battery backup on daily usage?

Quadrant - 36xx

GPU is 544MP. Battery backup havent fully tested .. but gives more than a day (24 hours) on normal daily usage i.e. a few calls, 30 mins of Gaming (Iron Man 3), some texting/watsapping, 3G only when require.

budget of 10-15k
where does pantech flex fit compared to other phones with the same price range and the ones mentioned in this thread?
My requiredments are
1) responsiveness. should be lag-free.
2) good camera with flash.
3) good battery backup.

I heard pantech flex uses the same processor as htc one x and s3

Any news about the release date for Nokia 301 ?

I was in the market for q700 (the only difference from q800 seems to be an inferior camera and a better battery). Would really appreciate some pointers on q800. Any irritating cons? What about lags? How do you find the screen? Thanks in advance.

I am really happy with this. Screen looks good. No lag watsoever. Battery backup is good ! The only con i can see at this price is ... not a reputed brand..so no idea about After Sales. No other con i can think of.

Back