Best Study Material for GMAT preparatiom

comp@ddict

Skilled
Hey guys!

So I've finally decided that I want to prepare for the GMAT exam. I'll give it sometime next year. I'm currently in the 5th semester of my engineering and want to finish GMAT before the 7th so that I can apply for early admission programs/deferred admission and work for 2-3 years before joining a B-School.

I want to know:
- Best study material according to you for GMAT preparation, focusing on EACH SECTION
- Best test material for GMAT. This can be test series material from an institution or some independent test series material so that I am able to take at least 3-4 FULL mock tests a week.

Any assistance will be of incredible help to me. Thanks in advance

Do you plan to do your MBA in the US? If so, keep in mind that most B-schools in US prefer a couple of years of experience in their candidates.

Buy the Manhattan GMAT prep series - 7 books. Even one book gives you access to 6 online tests. Don't go for Princeton etc. Very basic stuff. Search for extra material like Aristotle etc for your English needs. Also, go through the official GMAT book.

Go to the popular GMAT forums (search on google)- you'll get more than enough information.

Hi. I hope to get a good GMAT score and apply to ISB and abroad (yeah, US too). I will apply for a deferred admission, and GMAT score is valid for 5 years anyway. Will definitely work after graduation.

I've heard about Kaplan. How's that?

apply to ISB

ISB requires work experience (and a very good profile with recommendations from senior positions from the institute/organisation) AFAIK. Two colleagues were shortlisted for the interview, one made it through (albeit to the ISB Mohali campus) and the other didn't. Both had 4+ years of experience in a core sector industry.

EDIT: From the website http://www.isb.edu/pgp/admissions/admission-prerequisites

Preferably two years of full-time work experience after graduation. Exceptional candidates, with less work experience, will be considered for deferred admission.

Last edited:
ISB requires work experience (and a very good profile with recommendations from senior positions from the institute/organisation) AFAIK. Two colleagues were shortlisted for the interview, one made it through (albeit to the ISB Mohali campus) and the other didn't. Both had 4+ years of experience in a core sector industry.

EDIT: From the website http://www.isb.edu/pgp/admissions/admission-prerequisites

I know all about ISB. Their campus is next to my house and I go there almost every other day.

(albeit to the ISB Mohali campus)

Doesn't matter which campus they get into. It's just "ISB" as a whole when its placement time. Companies look at all students as ISB students, not from "Hyderabad" or "Mohali"

Doesn't matter which campus they get into. It's just "ISB" as a whole when its placement time. Companies look at all students as ISB students, not from "Hyderabad" or "Mohali"

My friend opines otherwise. He claims that the competition for getting into the older Hyd. campus is much fierce with entrants who are extremely well qualified. And some of the companies were giving preference to the older campus than the Mohali one because this was a fairly new campus.

Unfortunately, I am not much into post grad. stuff so all my posts here are from the hearsay from friends and colleagues. Please take them with a pinch of salt.

However if you are serious about doing an MBA from a reputed institute, understand that they will look into certain other qualities in you other than your grades, GPA during college and work-ex. Like co-curricular stuff (no, not the fancy dress competition, solo song/dance, extempore you did at school), any philanthropic activities you may have done (for instance, helping the 2004 tsunami victims; not with money but physically being there to aid them), any papers you may have presented (not in the inter-college tech. fest; IEEE, ASME, SAE etc), how sportive you are, how communicative you are, a good reco. from seniors etc would greatly aid.

Bumping this thread.
Planning to attempt GMAT next year and if things go well, will look for an executive MBA.
Need comments/advice from GMAT takers,Books and other helpful study materials I should prefer,etc.

go for manhattan or kaplan. we Indians score big in quants but lag behind in english as the test is prepared using US english as a base. if you need any help buzz me

Magoosh has 99$/100$ subscription. Its worth it. Also, the Manhattan series is useful. Official Guide + its two addons are are useful as a first starting point, before you go to more material.

Back