best video player for playing movies etc?

^^Not much. Except for VLC(Uses its own set of Splitter/Codecs) the rest of the players are based on directshow filters installed in the system. The image quality can be fine tuned in a better way with players liek KMp, GOM due to their extensive custom filter chain options. In general, HD files are better played with players which uses dedicated(and less taxing to cpu) HD decoders like CoreAVC or even MPC Video decoder(in MPC-HC) compare to one for all codec like the one used by VLC.

regd. video players, imo vlc is the best. Im now also using media player classic home cinemas for viewing HD content. It draws processing power from your graphics card, rather than CPU..

regd download mangers, IDM is good, but now I rarely use it after moving on to torrents for downloading stuff. :)
And if there's anything not present via torrents, I use Firefox with Flashgot and DTA (Down Them All) add-ons to increase the speed while download. But you must be aware that max download speed is dependent on your Internet connection, and also on the bandwith available at the server from where you download your files...

vlc's gui is crap .
SMplayer is simply the best media player out there for movies/clips. plays every file out there
The best thing about it are the single key shortcuts . ONce you get used to them , every other media player feel bekaar.
List of smplayer shortcuts:

f - fullscreen
→ - go forward 10 seconds
← - go backward 10 seconds
space - pause/play
/ - volume down
* - volume up
1/2 - adjust contrast
3/4 - adjust brightness
7/8 - adjust saturation

there are a few more...
smplayers also has excellent subtitle support.

I like KMplayer but i couldnt find a way to play HD files with hardware acceleration..tried cyberlink H.264/AVC decoder but video quality was horrible...mildly blocky and pixelated images....now im using MPC Home Cinema..its awesome..its built in MPC video decoder supports DXVA (DirectX video acceleration).

Antidote said:
I like KMplayer but i couldnt find a way to play HD files with hardware acceleration..tried cyberlink H.264/AVC decoder but video quality was horrible...mildly blocky and pixelated images....now im using MPC Home Cinema..its awesome..its built in MPC video decoder supports DXVA (DirectX video acceleration).

me too.
Vlc player was good till winxp
After xp i.e in vista and now in win 7 there used to be some pixellation when i play files in vlc.
Also no Gpu acceleration possible in vlc.
So i go for K-lite mega codec package.
just do the config in media player classic.
these settings are forwarded even when files are played from windows media player which is awesome.:hap2:

BTW, IMHO, theres is no such thing as a "best" media player....it's not the case of "one size fits all" ....so I guess you will have to try out a few and settle with what you like most

KMPlayer

VLC

GOM

MPC HC

SMPlayert

Mplayer

Zoom player

BSPlayer

You can try a few and settle for one

Back