Best war movies/series in your opinion?

You guys are missing something called Come And See (1985).

It is a movie set in WW2 Belarus where Germans unleashed the Einsatzgurppen and Dirlewanger Brigade in a genocide village by village

Its widely regarded and it a movie that will leave you in a sense of despair at the depth humanity can go to.
I have never seen a war movie where you feel the utter terror of war unlike this one.
And P.S. if you just Google Dirlwanger Brigade you will see the stuff in this movie is just the tip of the iceberg.

Among pure war movies, Saving Private Ryan is God tier. Everything since pales in comparison.

In war related movies, JSA and incendies are really good.

There is Apocalypse Now. And then there is everything else.

Schindler's List
Patton
Platoon
Guns of Navarone
Where Eagles Dare
The Dirty Dozen
Hum Dono (Hindi)
Jacob's Ladder (aftermath to a war)
Trial at Nuremberg
Lawrence of Arabia

Well well well....
In Maverick (as well as Top Gun 1) the aircraft scenes were shot inside the flying planes. They flew the back seat of F18 (actually Boeing F/A 18F Super Hornet) in Maverick and F14 Tomcat in the original Top Gun.
They didn't pilot the planes, but for sure flew in them.

In the middle of shooting Top Gun, producer Jerry Bruckheimer realized he had a huge problem: With the exception of Tom Cruise, all the actors playing Navy pilots kept vomiting in the cockpit. “Their heads were down, and when they got their heads up, their eyes were rolling back,” Bruckheimer says. “It was terrible. They were all sick.”

On a scrappy budget with clunky 1980s technology, an untrained cast, and new studio leadership, filming eventually moved to an L.A. soundstage, where those actors could settle their stomachs while pretending to fly on a gimbal instead.
Top Gun was shot in a studio because the actors could not handle being in F14s

Top Gun was shot in a studio because the actors could not handle being in F14s
I stand partially corrected. They didn't shoot while they flew in the F14s. But they flew in them so 'no actor ever flies in a plane' isn't still 100% accurate.

Band of brothers
1917 watch the movie for cinematography ( story is just about delivering the letter nothing much ,but you watch movie for cinematography)
Dunkirk another visual treat
Border
Saving Private Ryan
Last kingdom
Inglorious Bastards
Rome
Hacksaw Ridge
Troy
Fury
300 both parts
Last of the Mohicans
Enemy at the gates
Vikings
Pearl harbor

Lot of good suggestions and as someone who enjoys war movies, I have seen most of them. Here is are few that aren't mentioned yet, Letters from Iwo Jima, A Bridge Too Far, Stalingrad.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the TV series, "Mahabharat", created by Siddharth Kumar Tewary, is the best TV show based upon war. I have watched it in two different languages.

Don't you mean "Stalingrad"? There are a few movies by that name.
Yes, Thanks for pointing it out. Fixed it. I am referring to the 1993 movie.

Guns of Navarone and Where Eagles Dare were my Dad's favorites, we used to play them very often at our home.
My favorites are :
Saving Private Ryan,
Full Metal Jacket,
Behind Enemy Lines,
Hacksaw Ridge,
Crimson Tide,
Apocal.ypse Now,
The war sequences in LOTR: The Two Towers, Red Cliff (Chinese movie) are really fantastic.

Adding 'All Quiet on Western Front'

All Quiet on the Western Front is harrowing. I love war movies and this one just hits different, there are moments that send shivers down my spine even now when I think about them.

Forgive Us Our Trespasses is also a wonderful watch.

Movies:
Downfall (this is a must watch)
Saving Private Ryan
The Pianist
Schindler's List
Inglorious Bastards
Troy
Fury
Enemy at the gates
Gladiator
Black Book [Zwartboek]
Eye of the Needle