Beware: Avast and AVG are officially snoopware!

Do you Use avast or AVG?

• Yes

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • I know someone who does

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters
Neither have I (any virus attack). But since I'm a complete noob, there's no way I can tell if someone is snooping. There were indeed some sensitive documents in my laptop, which I stored in a thumbdrive after some data leaks from elsewhere.
I know nothing about Webroot/ Outpost, we are being forced to install them( the IT guys specifically requested to disable to Windows 10 defender)
Problem is, most of us know nothing about Linux. The IT wizards are trying to develop a distro to be used exclusively by medical professionals ( it has to be completely idiot proof) with access to all internal emails.
I contacted one of them as the Webroot thing is not showing up in the control panel.Had a brief chat with him. According to him it is impossible to make a bulletproof system ( leaky Windows 10 is not the main problem, but something to do with BIOS, didn't understand anything) they may give us some strange name brand laptops which supposedly paid Intel to secure the BIOS.

Last edited:
yeah the rules are simple
1. don't click/run anything you don't understand well (weird apps/documents/pdf/movie-codecs)
2. keep your ports closed - you don't even need a firewall or a login once this is done
3. don't try to hide from CIA/KGB/China-whatever/etc

the trouble comes when you want to match pirated movies/books and NO AvP is going to protect you!!
Just use a different computer/dual-boot-USB-stick for that.. depending on your lvl of security..

Neither have I (any virus attack). But since I'm a complete noob, there's no way I can tell if someone is snooping. There were indeed some sensitive documents in my laptop, which I stored in a thumbdrive after some data leaks from elsewhere.
I know nothing about Webroot/ Outpost, we are being forced to install them( the IT guys specifically requested to disable to Windows 10 defender)
Problem is, most of us know nothing about Linux. The IT wizards are trying to develop a distro to be used exclusively by medical professionals ( it has to be completely idiot proof) with access to all internal emails.
I contacted one of them as the Webroot thing is not showing up in the control panel.Had a brief chat with him. According to him it is impossible to make a bulletproof system ( leaky Windows 10 is not the main problem, but something to do with BIOS, didn't understand anything) they may give us some strange name brand laptops which supposedly paid Intel to secure the BIOS.
the most simplistic security solution in my opinion is to install noscript and ublock origin plugins to firefox and use it for browsing. It blocks 99% of the malware that originates from web browsing. Also improves browsing experience too.

The only illegal thing I have are couple of high Res King Crimson/ Floyd albums. Everything else is 100 percent legit ( Ableton Live10, Samplitude, Kontakt, few 3rd party library, izotope Neutron ,Ozone, fabfilter bundle..all bought from official sites), Libre Office is free, Adobe stuff ( LR/PS and pdf editor/ reader are the only things I use) are being paid by WHO office monthly..that's pretty much everything I use ( plus iTunes and VLC and some 6 custom SWs- those are safe, very few people need those)
Browser is the good ol' Firefox with unlock origin, https everywhere and no script plugins.
Another product I completely dependent on...Thunderbird email client. I know it better to use webmail , but I juggle with so many emails in 4 email ids, everyday, it's not easy to manage.

Did anyone tried the debotnet, this utility claimed to be controlling the telemetry data sent to Microsoft and also help de-bloat the Windows 10

It is good, but it disables many cool functions that new versions of windows 10 has built in. If you know what they arr, you can of course find open source alternatives for each of those.

I use it on all my windows systems, but then, I tweak the settings to suit my needs. For my surface PCs and light work PCs, I prefer keeping clipboard history on, for my primary work PCs I use other clipboard managers.

Also look at DisableWinTracking, and WindowsSpyBlocker

If you are looking at something less intense.

It is good, but it disables many cool functions that new versions of windows 10 has built in. If you know what they arr, you can of course find open source alternatives for each of those.
I do understand that, however if I recall the newer version have disable/enable script option so we can disable features we don't want (like Cortana) and re-enable them (like in case of 2020 update where Cortana is refreshed with lot of new features).

It's a worth giving try and I'll definitely look into the tools you shared - I'll let you know about my experience

Back