User Guides Bios Mod: 8800GT to 9800GT

Attention

* In case you screw up your card, I am in no way responsible, you do this at your own risk... I'm just spreading the word ;)
* Backup your original VGA bios with BIOS utilities such as NiBiTor, before attempting to flash your card

Guide to flashing your nVIDIA GPU Bios

1) Create a bootable floppy disk or a bootable USB stick (instructions below)

2) Download the latest version of nvFlash v5.67. Extract and copy nvFlash.exe and cwsdpmi.exe onto the floppy/ USB stick

3) Download the 9800GT bios files from MVKTECH.NET (Thanks to 'ginko' uploaded the file.) and copy the *.rom file to the floppy/ USB stick

4) Boot the computer from floppy in bios. After the floppy disk has loaded, type “a:/nvflash -5 -6 9800GT.rom" without quotes, and press enter.

5) Follow the program and press ‘y’ whenever asked

6) You're done, your card now has been modded...

- You can either use the above eVGA 9800GT SC Bios... or download my modded version (attached below)

- The modded version includes the '8800GT Bios V-Mod' (1.1v instead of 1.05v) and modified clock speeds of 700/1728/1000. I've also increased the fan speed to 60%...

- I've flashed my eVGA 8800GT KO Edition successfully. Have tried a few games including PES 2008, Crysis and Grid.

- So far there haven't been any big differences... So it's just bragging right's... no performance increases...

- However, it atleast proves that the 9800GT or atleast some 9800GT's are indeed re-badged 8800GT's... :bleh:

Creating A Bootable USB Stick

1) Download the HP USB Boot Disk Creator and Win98 Startup Disk Files

2) Extract the startup disk files boot files to a folder of your choice

3) Run the HPUSBFW program. Select the correct USB device from the drop-down menu, set file system to FAT32 and check Create a DOS startup disk.

4) Browse for the extracted boot files (now in the folder of your choice) and press start to begin formatting it.

4) You're Done!

Creating a Bootable BLINDFLASH USB Stick/ Floppy

Note: Usually when the VGA bios gets screwed... either you'll get no display or graphical corruption. In that case, you can use a Blind Flash disk. A Blind Flash Disk is a MS-DOS startup disk which can automatically restore the original VGA bios...

1) Create a Bootable Floppy or a USB Stick (as shown above)

2) Download the latest version of nvFlash v5.67. Extract and copy nvFlash.exe and cwsdpmi.exe onto the floppy/ USB stick

3) Backup your original VGA bios with NiBiTor and save the bios as 8800GT.ROM

4) Copy the 8800GT.ROM onto the floppy/ USB stick

5) Download the Autoexec.zip from below. Extract and copy Autoexec.zip onto the floppy/ USB stick

6) You're Done!

Attachments

• 9800GT.zip
    39.4 KB · Views: 332
  • Autoexec.zip
    182 bytes · Views: 281
Back