BitTorrent user convicted over movie sharing

A Hong Kong man has been convicted of copyright infringement using the BitTorrent service, in what is believed to be the first case of its kind.

Chan Nai-Ming was found guilty of distributing three Hollywood films using BitTorrent's peer-to-peer file-sharing technology, according to Taiwanese English-language newspaper The China Post.

The unemployed 38-year-old used the software to distribute the copyrighted films "Miss Congeniality", "Daredevil" and "Red Planet." He was arrested by customs officers in January 2005.

Nai-Ming pleaded not guilty to copyright infringement but was convicted after a four-day trial. He will be sentenced on Nov. 7.

BitTorrent is one of the most popular software programs used to acquire large files over the Internet using peer-to-peer file-sharing technology. The application, initially written by programmer Bram Cohen, is open source.

BitTorrent enables its users to download fragments of a large file from many other users, rather than just one. Although the program had relied on centralized tracker files to manage this process, Cohen in May announced that the files were no longer needed. BitTorrent has increasingly become a distribution channel for spyware and adware, and has grown into one of the most widely used means of providing large files for download.

File-sharing networks are coming under increasing pressure from the law, while increasing traffic has sparked a clampdown by recording companies and movie studios, which have sued thousands of peer-to-peer users for copyright infringement over the past few years. The Supreme Court ruled in June that peer-to-peer makers could be sued if they encourage users to copy material without permission.

source

hey, is that why ed2k dosent seem to download for me since the last 15 days or so? are u sure its dead Quad?

IMO for Bt to servive,it must go trackerless FAST otherwise theyll just attack the weakest link of the chain-trackers and the search engines.

ed2k is not dea. Just the company which started it is no longer going to update it, and they will sue the server operators...

But as long as there are server operators, there are no probs... as for trackerless BT, they will then sue the .torrent file hosters.. so the they will need to integrate a .torrent file searcher into the app which will dld it directly from other peers... rather than from any website

Havent tried ed2k since long , and after i heard that its dead didnt even bother to check if its alive as i use my net mostly for surfing and downloading some small softwares

kumar said:
IMO for Bt to servive,it must go trackerless FAST otherwise theyll just attack the weakest link of the chain-trackers and the search engines.
It went trackerless a long time ago. Can you say eXeem.

Also other clients like bitcomet and azureus have a light weight built in tracker so public trackers are not needed. But then again you need a place to host those torrents to make them spread. :(

guys a new p2p is out and it works similar to ares also...i dont know whether people have tried it or not......its morpheus....i m trying it now....and find it usefull

Morpheus is oooold and it gave me horrible speeds.

Right now I'm using Limewire Pro 4.9.4 and Bit Lord for torrents, both are reasonably fast and L/W r0cks :D !

BitTorrents will never die IMHO. :eek:hyeah:

I cant imagine a world w/o Piracy :p.

Anyways... LimeWire Pro rocks :D....

Sad for that guy though... out of the Millions, Billions rather.. He gets caught.. Lol..

BitTorrents will never die IMHO. :eek:hyeah:
I cant imagine a world w/o Piracy :p.
Anyways... LimeWire Pro rocks :D....

Sad for that guy though... out of the Millions, Billions rather.. He gets caught.. Lol..

Limewire pro 4.9.3 rocks,

The golden rule is not to pause between your downloads , let it download the way you get it at first. On resume , your download priority will be dead low , and you are least likely to get the file.

I got 1.2 Mbps last week downloading movies. Limewire is the Cleanest and neatest client in the Gnutella network , I must admit.

The golden rule is not to pause between your downloads , let it download the way you get it at first. On resume , your download priority will be dead low , and you are least likely to get the file.

I got 1.2 Mbps last week downloading movies. Limewire is the Cleanest and neatest client in the Gnutella network , I must admit.

While resuming your downloads its always better to repeat the search for the same file again,that will greatly increase the number of hosts

While resuming your downloads its always better to repeat the search for the same file again,that will greatly increase the number of hosts

Back