Block Spam calls on iPhone

Can send you mean? over whatsapp
How does one send/accept brochure, price list, invoices, location etc on landline?

Landline is old school yeah but never goes down like mobiles when there is a social distrurbance (a term that only makes sense in an Indian context).
Landlines can go offline when municipality starts digging in the area. Plus they have problem like 'es marg ki sabhi line wyasta hai'. Not to mention, govt changes all landline numbers once in a decade.

On Android, it is free for all, so Truecaller can take over the dialer or the messaging app and constantly send your call logs and usage details to the Truecaller servers, which it does.
I think it's still optional to replace stock dialer and sms app with truecaller. Regardless truecaller app sending log to its server on android, it doesn't matter if it can't do that on iPhones because it has others means of knowing about the calls. There's no hiding from the truecaller.

How does one send/accept brochure, price list, invoices, location etc on landline?

Landlines can go offline when municipality starts digging in the area. Plus they have problem like 'es marg ki sabhi line wyasta hai'. Not to mention, govt changes all landline numbers once in a decade.

I think it's still optional to replace stock dialer and sms app with truecaller. Regardless truecaller app sending log to its server on android, it doesn't matter if it can't do that on iPhones because it has others means of knowing about the calls. There's no hiding from the truecaller.
On Android, even if you don't set it as the dialer or messaging app, it still requests the permissions which allows it to track the calls and call logs. Unfortunately, Android does not provide any means to keep an app working after denying all permissions, which is a requirement from every app on iOS App Store.

On iOS, Truecaller can only use the iOS API for call identification to query the database it saves locally. Only the spam list update can connect to the TC server and all call information is completely isolated from TC, as the API exchange is not made available to the app.

iOS always trades convenience for privacy features and makes it the USP, so it is upto the user to bear with it or use Android if they want convenience rather than privacy.

On Android, even if you don't set it as the dialer or messaging app, it still requests the permissions which allows it to track the calls and call logs.
But that's how it's supposed to work, right? Without access to call log, it'd simply become a simple lookup app. No benefits to TC.

I can understand how and why it works like that on iPhones. And it's also perfectly why iPhones aren't for me.

But that's how it's supposed to work, right? Without access to call log, it'd simply become a simple lookup app. No benefits to TC.

I can understand how and why it works like that on iPhones. And it's also perfectly why iPhones aren't for me.
Yes, not much benefit to TC in terms of data mining on iOS compared to the level of data collection they can do on Android.

On iOS, they are mostly looking to sell Premium for things like checking who viewed your profile and so on. May be that is also the reason that they botch up the identification to deliberately get the user to access the app.

Yes, not much benefit to TC in terms of data mining on iOS compared to the level of data collection they can do on Android.
TC can't work without downloading your phonebook. That's just the necessary evil we put up with and by the looks of it the market has decided to give them what they want.

The privacy argument does not work with an app like TC. Apple won't play ball so TC does not work on iOS.

I wonder how people with iphones deal with this spam problem in other countries. TC is more of an Indian thing and this thread only talks about TC as a solution.

No TC you're screwed. Better get android is the gist here.

Aren't there any other solutions in the iOS world?

Last edited:
TC can't work without downloading your phonebook. That's just the necessary evil we put up with and by the looks of it the market has decided to give them what they want.

The privacy argument does not work with an app like TC. Apple won't play ball so TC does not work on iOS.

I wonder how people with iphones deal with this spam problem in other countries. TC is more of an Indian thing and this thread only talks about TC as a solution.

No TC you're screwed. Better get android is the gist here.

Aren't there any other solutions in the iOS world?

It may be worse for some users but not bad in general. Top spammers are already blocked in the phonebook using the call blocker within iOS. The less reported SPAM calls come up on the dialer and I block them immediately after disconnecting. However, the downloaded SPAM list is indeed not that large compared to what TC has on their server and for some, you have to manually search the number on TC and then decide whether to block it based on the name. I am on the DND list and have been blocking SPAM calls for 3 years now on iOS and the frequency of SPAM calls is just a couple over a week.

It is more manual work because iOS does not give any control to the app over the calls and call logs as opposed to Android. The alternative is to give TC access to all call data which they can either sell or which can be hacked.

Last edited:
Back