Brexit Fact File: Simple things you gotta know!

swatkats

Skilled
UK on Thursday decided to leave the European Union (EU). Brexit, or British exit, from the EU may have an impact not only on Europe but also alter market dynamics globally, including India.

According to Care Ratings, though the overall effect on India will be minimal, given trade and investment will continue as usual with other EU nations, Indian companies which have set shop in the UK will have to rework business strategies as other European markets will not remain local.

The Indian stock markets are expected to be jittery, which will be a global phenomenon as well. In terms of currency, some volatility is expected despite dollar being the anchor currency.

DERJG92.png

Source: http://www.vccircle.com/infracircle/eu-family-loses-english-cousin/

There's going to be a lot of impact for India as well. Jittery financial situation will also lead to downsizing and hiring freezes in both European and American companies.

As far as I am concerned, I have already prepared myself to say good bye to Rs 8~10 Lac worth of income in this year.

The financial situation in Europe is gonna screw up our company business targets. In fact, it already did to some extent even before the vote. Stock price came down 12% (lost about 75 pence instead of gaining 30). We can kiss our bonus payouts (which makes a sizable part of our compensation) for the year good bye.

In less than 2 days, the Nifty is already down 5%. Dow is getting dumped. Expect MF and most stocks to be negative in the near term.

Pound has already taken a hit of 10 percent. There will be some rift here and there but it all will be stable in a year or so time. Was reading the paper and young voters,immigrants voted against it and old folks voted in favour.

Please let's know when is a right time to buy from Amazon UK, many sellers ship to India under Amazon fulfilled purchases.

Chinese economy failing, EUROPE and UK economies taking a severe blow in the upcoming periods & if Trump becomes a president of USA, sooner India (& its economy) will be a much better place for everyone.

India will become super power by default, seems like everything will settle in favour of India (probably I'm too optimistic).
Barring few sectors, I believe the impact of Brexit on India will be less severe and we'll be able to steer of this crisis without much damage.

Pound has already taken a hit of 10 percent. There will be some rift here and there but it all will be stable in a year or so time. Was reading the paper and young voters,immigrants voted against it and old folks voted in favour.

The problem is that this was never considered with a serious vein to begin with. The leaders who led the leave EU side of the campaign were not seriously looking to leave the EU. Their expectant outcome was that they will lose with a marginal vote, but gain political mileage in the process. As for the people, a lot of them seem to have voted to leave just for fun thinking that their vote will not matter as people will overwhelmingly vote for remaining in EU. Both the leaders and the people are horrified at the outcome and its impact on the market.[DOUBLEPOST=1466864683][/DOUBLEPOST]
Barring few sectors, I believe the impact of Brexit on India will be less severe and we'll be able to steer of this crisis without much damage.

Indian industries and job sectors (especially IT) will be the most hit. I except a lot of downsizing/layoffs to happen. The fact that Indian stock market lost 4 Lac crore in a single day because of Brexit is itself an indicator of kind of impact to expect.

Last edited:
The crash was more of knee jerk reaction but I came out richer and more so not really the one to complain. That said, there are couple of things which needs to be kept in mind:
http://www.vox.com/2016/6/23/12021222/brexit-what-happens-next

The process will take years to complete. Secondly, the British Parliament can actually vote no as they are the ones who need to pass the bill. That looks unlikely but with David Cameron resigning it might be his coup de grace, who knows.

Though on the point made in the above post:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hat-the-eu-is-hours-after-voting-to-leave-it/

Britain is probably voting for long term plan. At least that is what I think. Whether this was a confidence or overconfidence we'll know only later.
It's ironic though, because Scotland is now trying to break away from the U.K. lol. Ireland also tried to earlier.

Back