bsnl broadband plan for battlefield 3 and downloading

snow

Disciple
Hi all .

just got my pre-order copy of battlefield 3 .

it says requires minimum 1 mb speed broadband .

Have currently bsnl 750 plan .

will also be using the net for downloading .

please suggest plan as there is proper alternative for broadband in my area

i have a 512kbps connection ,,and ping ranges from 150 to 300 based on server location,,,,, i had no problem with the servers no lagg or anything ,,,smooth mp for 3hours,,,:)

snow said:
Hi all .
just got my pre-order copy of battlefield 3 .
it says requires minimum 1 mb speed broadband .

Have currently bsnl 750 plan .

will also be using the net for downloading .
please suggest plan as there is proper alternative for broadband in my area
deba said:
i have a 512kbps connection ,,and ping ranges from 150 to 300 based on server location,,,,, i had no problem with the servers no lagg or anything ,,,smooth mp for 3hours,,,:)
Where are both of you located?

Speed can get you only so far. Your ping has a high dependence on the quality of your connection. First try with your current connection and then consider upgrading/switching, etc.

am not able to upgrade the game yet .. due to load shedding ..

the game does not have support for resume of patch it seems

am located in thane .

lots of load shedding for current .

am still not able to download the update for game . origin does not have resume support for upgrade patch

For online gaming bandwidth requirements are minimal. Obviously there will be very rare situations where you will suddenly see a spike in traffic but that's not normal.
What really matters is:

1) Latency
2) Connection stability

Any server outside India is 250ms or more. US servers will always be in the 300-370ms range and EU servers will always be in the 220-250ms range; no matter what ISP you choose.
Asian Servers have latencies between EU and US typically.
India has very very very very few servers that are usually not up.

I've tried playing CoD4 and MW2 in the past but it was an exercise in futility to play them online.
300ms is *HUGE* in an fps and you will constantly miss moving targets. Trust me it's not fun to line up head shot after head shot and see nothing happen.
It's no surprise that online gaming in India is pretty much dead and piracy is so rampant - what's the point in buying a multiplayer game when you can never play online ... lol

Honestly for online gaming the only viable option is mmorpg's in a very casual capacity and a few RTS games(don't try anything hardcore - the inherent instability of indian internet simply won't let you do it).

Starcraft 2 seems to work pretty well from India on both the SEA, EU and US servers - but then again it's not really that dependant on latency in the first place outside of very intense high end micro.

But, it's really really tragic steamrolling an opponent and about to get a "gg" when you suddenly see a "disconnected from server" message because of packet loss because of high congestion or just bad routing.

As far as I know the indian servers on BF3 seem to be working great. It worked great on BFBC2 too as well, although they were unpredictable at times .. i.e crashing, irregular, etc. TF2 was also fun on the Apex and Evox Indian servers. If more companies setup Indian servers, I don't see how we can't enjoy a smooth and fluid online game.

As for - It's no surprise that online gaming in India is pretty much dead and piracy is so rampant - what's the point in buying a multiplayer game when you can never play online

All I can say is LOL. 80% of us Indian gamers don't buy games. They want to download it, play it with their friends on LAN and feel like pros. Another majority don't have hardware capable of playing anything more than Most Wanted, DOTA and CS1.6. We have wayyy to many issues with gamers itself here for us to bother isps.

RD274 said:
As far as I know the indian servers on BF3 seem to be working great. It worked great on BFBC2 too as well, although they were unpredictable at times .. i.e crashing, irregular, etc. TF2 was also fun on the Apex and Evox Indian servers. If more companies setup Indian servers, I don't see how we can't enjoy a smooth and fluid online game.

As for - It's no surprise that online gaming in India is pretty much dead and piracy is so rampant - what's the point in buying a multiplayer game when you can never play online

All I can say is LOL. 80% of us Indian gamers don't buy games. They want to download it, play it with their friends on LAN and feel like pros. Another majority don't have hardware capable of playing anything more than Most Wanted, DOTA and CS1.6. We have wayyy to many issues with gamers itself here for us to bother isps.

Interesting, are the BF3/MW3 games available in India for the PC ? I would definitely be interested in actually buying them if there are good servers here. FPS to me seems unplayable with anything over 100ms latency to be honest.

I'm sure there's a decent market for online gaming in India it's just that :

1) Gaming itself is frowned upon and considered something for children
2) Most good games don't even release here or have servers in a sub 200ms distance [starcraft 1/2, most recent fps games, almost all mmorpg's]
3) Terrible+expensive internet - most online gaming requires voice chat which uses a lot of bandwidth
4) Games+Hardware are released at international prices

I never understood how Starcraft 1 has extremely low system requirements but is virtually unheard of here.
It's also strange that most of our neighbors in east asia have huge online gaming communities but we don't.

^ Nice points you mentioned there especially the first point.

@compaddict: Bsnl is not good for gaming i tried playing cs1.6 and observed packet losses.I guess new games require more bandwidth.

from Kolkata:

We have bsnl, airtel, reliance, a few cable internet companies, and a multitude of wifi/usb isp's.

BSNL- lowest latencies when it works. cheapest internet with plans that are night unlimited (no FUP during that time). Bandwidth is usually in the 1.5-2mpbs range. However bsnl is subject to a lot of instability - at any time there can be a lot of packet loss; especially in peak hours. Routing and congestion is bad when this happens. BSNL is also prone to outages.
Latency fluctuations are also fairly common so the golden 260ms you sometimes see to USA is actually not set in stone so it's often 350/450+ during peak hours.

Airtel - roughly 2-3 times more expensive than BSNL. latencies are on average 40-60ms higher to any foreign server. Packet loss is slightly less than bsnl. US latencies are usually 340-380ms. Less susceptible to congestion and bad routing. Outages are rarer.
Their plans have FUP => very limited bandwidth plus they cost significantly more.

cable operators - extremely unreliable, the local level is handled by "cablewallahs" who are basically small time crooks. Very frequent outages, high packet loss, unpredictable latencies. Prices are quite low, comparable to bsnl.

Reliance - doesn't offer connections in most areas, neither is there much interest to expand. Prices are between bsnl and airtel with less FUP nonsense.

wifi/usb/3g/2g etc - awful for gaming anywhere in the world, expensive, hyped, overrated - fluctuating latency, packet loss is constant. Indian media seems to adore this form of internet.

So out of these we're stuck with bsnl.

What are the unlimited plans from BSNL?

I would be moving to karnataka and would need some unlimited plans. Here is mumbai, MTNL has some really good plans.

Back