Bsnl compatible router with wifi and lan ports.

awestorr

Adept
Want to buy a ont/router which will work with bsnl. I have minimal knowledge about these things.

In the past, had this khwahish ont installed for 3500 which had wifi and lan ports builtin.
The interface was usable but very old and lacking some features.

I would like to know a couple of things.

1)How can i know the compatibility of an ont selling in amazon/fk wrt bsnl.

2) the cheapest one that i can buy and will work.
(This will be running a basic 20-30mbps connection )

3)The one which gives best bang for buck and i should buy if i plan to use 100mbps plan in future ,should come with good software support.
1000303876.jpg
1000303877.jpg

Attachments

• 20240925_082322.jpg
    20240925_082322.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 10
The compatibility of the TP-Link isn’t that great. So with some OLTs it may not work. Whereas Huawei HG8120C has good compatibility, I’ve not come across a situation where it hasn’t worked.

If available, get the Huawei HG8120C, there should be sellers on IndiaMart.

nah all are more or less same take any which is cheapest.

I wouldn't say so, especially with the TP-Link, cause there have been many reported cases where the TP-Link has not worked with certain OLTs or ISPs. Personally, I was not able to get the XZ000-G7 working on Airtel, whereas both my Huawei HG8120C and Digisol ONT didn't have any issues.

there should be sellers on IndiaMart.
there are plenty on indiamart

I was not able to get the XZ000-G7 working on Airtel, whereas both my Huawei HG8120C and Digisol ONT didn't have any issues.
yours is a different case altogether airtel has issues where there are ALCL olts in the area ZTE and rest work fine most of my friends are using x7 with airtel without a issue I myself never faced a issue with tplink , again depends area to area.

share with him the contact number of the huawei vendor it will be easy for him to buy indiamart is full of scammers as well/

@anmolbhard004 That's exactly my point, the compatibility is not as good as the Huawei unit. Airtel in my area uses a Tejas Networks OLT (TJNW). So I guess that's two now which the TP-Link does NOT support (Alcatel and Tejas Networks).

I had reached out to this guy sometime ago (https://www.indiamart.com/proddetail/hg8120c-onu-xpon-epon-gpon-ont-2851448174097.html), however he was not interested in selling a single unit.

@Emperor Isn't that mostly for ISPs and telecoms, I have not had issues in using Huawei devices on the customer/client side.

Last edited:
The compatibility of the TP-Link isn’t that great. So with some OLTs it may not work. Whereas Huawei HG8120C has good compatibility,

I wouldn't say so, especially with the TP-Link, cause there have been many reported cases where the TP-Link has not worked with certain OLTs or ISPs. Personally, I was not able to get the XZ000-G7 working on Airtel, whereas both my Huawei HG8120C and Digisol ONT didn't have any issues.
The problem is not TPLink's compatibility as such. The problem is deliberate vendor locking which intentionally works only with specific devices. Like how some Jio phones wouldn't work with Airtel SIMs since they were network locked to Jio.

What are the routers that you would recommend ,both for a 20-30 mbps conn and a 100mbps connection
Just get a gigabit ONT + gigabit router. The 10/100mbps mostly have lower spec chipsets and be less stable. Buy a good stable device for a few hundred bucks more and use it without problems for years.

Check the openwrt website and buy one of the supported devices.

As for the ONT, call your local BSNL agent and ask him which to buy. Tell him you want to install lots of CCTV cameras later, so you want separate router with lot of ports.

More info here:

Huawei hardware is banned in India, check before buying any Huawei/ZTE brand products.
nothing as such works fine

Didnt know such a detailed guide existed
you have opened a pandora box welcome to isp shitty onu free world.
@anmolbhard004 That's exactly my point, the compatibility is not as good as the Huawei unit. Airtel in my area uses a Tejas Networks OLT (TJNW). So I guess that's two now which the TP-Link does NOT support (Alcatel and Tejas Networks).
yeah this is another OLT that has issues .

Back