Bsnl free night plans ended . You have been warned.

A while back, they migrated the server to enable Multi-play (the whole IPTV thingie. We all know how super successful it will be) in my area.
Anyhow, the worst fears of mine got realized. Earlier, the FUP/capped speeds never used to kick in because of a glitch in their system. Now, with a revamped setup, the FUP very much sets in and now i have been experiencing the 'fine browsing experience' at 512kbps. Uploading speeds ~trebled though.

I expect more ISP migrations and clamour against the pathetic speeds.

I hate the FUP in BSNL but in my location there is a TINA factor....
I migrated this month to the promotional 1445 BB Combo ULD. I figured the 1 mbps FUP will be better for my blood pressure levels once it kicks in.

No, The promotional plan period is for activation only . Once the plan is activated it will remain so till the user migrates to a different plan.
And the FUP is a bit of hit and miss, so this month even after the limit it remains at 2 mbps.

Thanks @aka911. Will enquire about this.

1) What is the procedure to get this done? The same old application to the billing node?
2) Isnt any other ISP, like airtel providing better/similar scheme for same pricing?

I dont have airtel service in my area ,It is either bsnl or the local cable wallah

no need to visit bsnl since the launch of Udaan..
I dont have a bsnl portal id/lost the password years ago and never bothered to recover..

http://udaan.bsnl.co.in/

I have used udaan platform a lot for all my bsnl queries and it works perfectly.

The only thing is, one you fill up the udaan form, maybe on monday/tuesday the bsnl guy will call you.
Now this is very important , make sure he knows about the new promotional plan or he will end up activating the ULD 1425 plan. ;)

The whole problem is the stagnant scene of Bband in India.
2005 was when this 256kbps 'broadband' was introduced. I think circa 2010, the definition was revised to 512kbps. World is looking at 10Mbps (and beyond now) as the standard thing, and we dont have a tenth of it as standard. So much for the IT hub of the world.
Somebody on Indian bband forum mentioned about Modi's plans to privatize BSNL, and hence the night unltd been revoked.

By current internatonal standards, Poor speeds like 1Mbps Ultd should have been available for 250/-.
But going by this promo scheme, people will end up paying >1500 for 1Mbps as basic speed. Heights of corporate/govt loot.

The sorry scene of Indian broadband gets more flak when people point out that our immediate western neighbours get 8Mbps unltd for INR 1400/-
That too via state owned company.. that is effectively like the BSNL/MTNL. Now compare this with the BSNL's 'promo' scheme.

Last edited:
Any good feasible plans for Pune where I can download at least 75GB comfortably.
I saw reliance thunder plans, they seem good but I have had a very bad experiance with relaince earlier around 5 years ago.
@iChaitanya any pointers?

@flash23, I am from Pune, Vadgaon Bk area(Opp Abhiruchi Mall if you know it).

A friend of min had got the thunder plan about a year back. He said that it was good with good latency. He is a gamer and mostly uses it for gaming online. The problem is its not available everywhere it seems. I tried to contact them through their toll-free number but did not get any response(was put on hold). Then I tried to email them inquiring about the availability in my location. I got one reply saying it is available and a sales person will contact me soon. I got another reply from another person on the same chain mail saying that they will check the availability and let me know. It's over a week now and I am still waiting for both :p. I even mailed them again with no response at all.

Now I am looking into cable broadband like YouBroadband and Hathway. There is no other alternative for us heavy downloaders and gamers. Nowadays even games come over 25GB so FUP of 50GB is nothing for us. Hope we soon get atleast 2mbps.

P.S: Youbroadband has a plan called You-Dhoom2 which is giving 10Mbps upto 30Gb and then upto 2Mbps post FUP for Rs. 1700. Will have to check it out.

Back