BSNL launches several new schemes

himakanth009

Disciple
Dec 24, 2008
Just Saw the News in the bellow Link The Hindu : Karnataka / Bangalore News : BSNL launches several new schemes

""Bangalore: The Bangalore Telecom District of Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd. (BSNL) has announced the launch of several new schemes for its landline and broadband customers.

The Convenience Plan 250, which is applicable to broadband Plan 250, offers a reduction in usage charges beyond 1 GB. The rate per megabyte of excess usage is reduced from ninety paise to 50 paise under this plan.

The Power User Pack offers existing broadband users a monthly billing of more than Rs. 499 a rebate on connections using BSNL’s data card. This scheme is available only to the first 2,000 applicants. The data card will be given at Rs. 300 a month instead of the normal fee of Rs. 550 a month.

The Road Star Plan offers a rebate on wireless Internet card to landline customers who also have a broadband connection and pay a minimum fixed monthly charge of Rs. 249.

This scheme is open to the first 4,000 applicants only. The Special Bundle Plan offers 10 per cent of a customer’s fixed monthly charges as free talk time to local BSNL numbers, subject to a maximum of Rs. 100 a month. The free talk time will be based on the customer’s usage in the previous billing cycle. A new SIM card will be provided to the customer.

The Total Telecom Plan is a similar plan applicable to BSNL broadband users. High-value subscribers, paying in excess of Rs. 1,500 a month in the preceding six months, are eligible for a WLL phone under the One Plus One Plan.
Market share

Shubhendu Ghosh, Principal General Manager, Bangalore Telecom District, said BSNL added 1.88 lakh lines in 2008-09, growing at more than 11 per cent over the previous year.

“This is commendable given the fact that we are in a recessionary situation,†he remarked.

He said the city has 2.4 lakh broadband connections, among the highest in any Indian city. “BSNL has more than 85 per cent market share in the broadband space in the city,†he added.""

Corleone

Adept
Apr 19, 2008
Yeah. I am waiting for an affordable 1 MBps Unlimited Package.

I am currently on 256 KB Unlimited Package.

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
Nov 10, 2007
Pune, India
Both us consumers and the ISP/Govt leaders think small. We don't need 1 mbps connections. We need 10 times the current speed.

So 256 kbps UL should become at least 2 mbps UL at the same rates and 512 kbps become 5 mbps at the same rates...

This should have happened years ago, rest of the world is moving to 100 mbps for home users already.

Since we are a backward third-class third-world country we need at least 2 - 10 mbps plans to maintain our status else we will become the laughing stock of other poor and backward countries. :D

Corleone

Adept
Apr 19, 2008
vishalrao said:
Both us consumers and the ISP/Govt leaders think small. We don't need 1 mbps connections. We need 10 times the current speed.

So 256 kbps UL should become at least 2 mbps UL at the same rates and 512 kbps become 5 mbps at the same rates...

This should have happened years ago, rest of the world is moving to 100 mbps for home users already.

Since we are a backward third-class third-world country we need at least 2 - 10 mbps plans to maintain our status else we will become the laughing stock of other poor and backward countries. :D

We do not think small (we = we consumers) but, we know that in reality we won't get the speeds we want at the prices we want.

Is it possible to get a 10 Mbps ADSL Broadband in India for Rs. 1,000/- any time in the near future? NO.

But, it MIGHT be possible to get 512 Kbps or 1 MBps in the near future.

We are just being rational.

Corleone

Adept
Apr 19, 2008
vishalrao said:
IMHO asking/hoping/dreaming for 10 mbps when the rest of the world is at 100 mbps seems pretty rational to me...

With all due respect, you have to match your dreams with the harsh realities. Otherwise you are sure to get depressed.

I can dream of having a 100 MBps or Higher Fibre Optic Internet Connection but, it will ONLY be a dream.

Can I hope for it? Do you think you'll get it in the near future? - NO

Asking? - Who to ask? Who's gonna listen?

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
Nov 10, 2007
Pune, India
Yea, this sounds like being resigned to defeat. Why even ask for 1 mbps then? The current 512kbps UL plan/price which I have is good enough. We don't need higher speeds at cheaper rates... even if they gift us 1 mbps UL upgrade at the same current price of 512 its hardly progress...

But I agree ANY improvement in speeds/prices is definitely an improvement and is much needed anyway... "beggars can't be choosers" as the saying goes...

Corleone

Adept
Apr 19, 2008
vishalrao said:
Yea, this sounds like being resigned to defeat. Why even ask for 1 mbps then? The current 512kbps UL plan/price which I have is good enough. We don't need higher speeds at cheaper rates... even if they gift us 1 mbps UL upgrade at the same current price of 512 its hardly progress...

But I agree ANY improvement in speeds/prices is definitely an improvement and is much needed anyway... "beggars can't be choosers" as the saying goes...

Well you can think that if you want. It's up to you.

I donot like to live in a Fantasy World where you can wish for things you are sure you won't get (atleast not in the near future).

You have to think what's feasible - 1 Mbps UL connections are more feasible than a 10 MBps UL connection atleast in the current circumstances.

See what the Babus are doing - they won't even let 3G come in time. What do you expect from them?

Harpy.eagle

Adept
May 22, 2008
^^ with what download limit? 100GB? Such kind of high speed connections would only be required with respective high data transfers, probably used with media, video conferencing etc... with rediculous download limit one with such connection wont even be able to use it for rational purposes...

Corleone

Adept
Apr 19, 2008

Corleone

Adept
Apr 19, 2008
Harpy.eagle said:
^^ with what download limit? 100GB? Such kind of high speed connections would only be required with respective high data transfers, probably used with media, video conferencing etc... with rediculous download limit one with such connection wont even be able to use it for rational purposes...

Yup. A download limit of 100 GB would be surpassed very easily at that speed of 100 Mbps. :(

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
I, here in Shanghai am paying 150 RMB (150 x 7.5) for a 2Mbps connection Unlimited. But it seems that even here they dont have plans above 2 Mbps for home use. Cannot confirm but feel so.

Corleone

Adept
Apr 19, 2008
raksrules said:
I, here in Shanghai am paying 150 RMB (150 x 7.5) for a 2Mbps connection Unlimited. But it seems that even here they dont have plans above 2 Mbps for home use. Cannot confirm but feel so.

Thx for the info.

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
Nov 10, 2007
Pune, India
If they update plans so that 1-2 mbps for the same price as current 512 plan, I'll be happy :) Cmon babus, stop your chai breaks and get some work done!

vishals

Disciple
Dec 23, 2007
TRAI has done a very good work in bringing down the charges for Mobile customers. And BSNL/MTNL is always leading race in price cuts forcing private players to do the same.

It's surprising why TRAI can't do same for Broadband. We call and aspire to be a IT superpower but we are worse than some minnow countries when it comes to provide basic and affordable services....

Corleone

Adept
Apr 19, 2008
vishals said:
TRAI has done a very good work in bringing down the charges for Mobile customers. And BSNL/MTNL is always leading race in price cuts forcing private players to do the same.

It's surprising why TRAI can't do same for Broadband. We call and aspire to be a IT superpower but we are worse than some minnow countries when it comes to provide basic and affordable services....

Quite true.

As far as I remember it was Dayanidhi Maran who gave a boost to Broadband via ADSL through MTNL/BSNL in this country.

But, he was out due to politics and there he goes. I hope he comes back and does something more. Define broadband as minimum 2 MBps speed instead of the earlier definition of 256 Kbps.

Corleone

Adept
Apr 19, 2008
vishalrao said:
If they update plans so that 1-2 mbps for the same price as current 512 plan, I'll be happy :) Cmon babus, stop your chai breaks and get some work done!

Nope. I'd like it at the current price I pay for my 256 UL i.e. Rs. 750/-. But, I don't mind paying Rs. 1,000/- to get a 2 Mbps UL connection :p