Indian Stock Market and Mutual Funds

I would only invest on portfolio manager advice and planning to invest for around 3 years.
3 years is nothing when it comes to mkt investment unless actively tracking it everyday. The better a portfolio manager more will be their fees so the most cost effective way to hire the most expensive portfolio manager for a typical retail investor is via MF route only. First define your goals. Financial experts suggest MFs for corpus building for some expensive future event like children education/marriage etc & the time horizon is usually 15-20 years. If looking to make some quick profit or replacement for FDs then that will take an entirely different approach & will have much more risks depending on the amt of gain being targeted.
So investment in equity through NPS Tier-II paid via CC?
Mostly yes.

Lock-in period of 3 month and there performance is pretty good, 30% last year and around 19% in past 5 years so instead of keeping the money in bank I can simply invest and forget.
Okay i guess but you should go through SID and try to understand, it's a tech and pharma heavy MF - Big Indian tech is having a consolidation period btw

Most investors who have not seen protracted market falls should not be too ambitious with their return expectations. The last meaningful fall that persisted was 16 years ago, and every rally since then has been bought into, due in large part to unconventional central bank policies. The time for those policies might well be up, no matter how much the fund managers and market experts want to hold hopes for rate cuts and resumption of the perma-rally.

Unfortunately, many of the young and new investors have no context of how markets behave in the absence of excessive money printing, which has continued for long now. And it is easy to assume that money made investing in recent years has been because of the brilliance of the fund managers/investor's strategy, while it has largely been a one-way street if one has been diversified enough.

3 years is nothing when it comes to mkt investment unless actively tracking it everyday. The better a portfolio manager more will be their fees so the most cost effective way to hire the most expensive portfolio manager for a typical retail investor is via MF route only. First define your goals. Financial experts suggest MFs for corpus building for some expensive future event like children education/marriage etc & the time horizon is usually 15-20 years. If looking to make some quick profit or replacement for FDs then that will take an entirely different approach & will have much more risks depending on the amt of gain being targeted.

Mostly yes.
Since I can't track funds on a regular basis its better to go with MF, I found tata to be really easy where a lazy guy like me was able to invest without doing anything. Secondly I can only invest max 1~2L so getting an expensive manager is not an option.
Around 10 yrs back I had an account in Kotak and did some trading back then. I was thinking to invest 2L here and remaining in MF
Okay i guess but you should go through SID and try to understand, it's a tech and pharma heavy MF - Big Indian tech is having a consolidation period btw
SID? What is it bro, Are you talking about SIP

> 3 years is nothing when it comes to mkt investment unless actively tracking it everyday.

Last 3-4yrs after Covid19 gave unprecedented & tremendous returns in market.
India being a growing market compared to many others, 3yrs is also a window to check on return of investment.

@guest_999
Doesn't negate the fact that "Last 3-4yrs after Covid19 gave unprecedented & tremendous returns in market.".

If one's investment performed badly in last 3-4yrs, then he have to look really hard into his method of investments.
That is what I meant, fully aware of long-term investment prospects.

Last edited:
Is anyone invest in solar and wind energy sectors here? Companies like Oriana, Bondada, Waaree made 10x in just 7-8 months. Haven't seen a sector growth like this in a long time.

Can visit smallcase website and see tons of preferred themes, one of the benefits is that it also helps with one's urge to trade, but with discretion :)

Is anyone invest in solar and wind energy sectors here? Companies like Oriana, Bondada, Waaree made 10x in just 7-8 months. Haven't seen a sector growth like this in a long time.
invested in solar and yeah they are giving good returns, s&w solar , adani green. ireda

Not worth the extra risk & mental peace. You can get 8.5% FD interest rate in any good small finance bank like Equitas or Ujjivan which will be safer than any corporate bond.
It is a reasonable argument. But SFBs aren't very safe to be honest. The depositor's bet would be that the authorities would bail depositors out, which is quite likely, but not a given by any means.

It is a reasonable argument. But SFBs aren't very safe to be honest. The depositor's bet would be that the authorities would bail depositors out, which is quite likely, but not a given by any means.
Bailing depositors out (assuming you mean depositor insurance scheme which covers up to 5 lakh under a pan in any scheduled commercial bank & is guaranteed) is very far fetched & practically never done before in India for any scheduled commercial bank (SFBs also come under this). In India RBI does allow any scheduled commercial bank to fail overnight/within few days & indicators are visible weeks/months in advance for any such bank. Even if a scheduled commercial bank fails RBI's first action is always to merge it/sell it/resuscitate it (depending on its size) so depositors money remain safe with just a few weeks of moratorium on withdrawal. Yes Bank has been the biggest scheduled commercial bank to fail in India & was resuscitated by a consortium of banks & eventually had a moratorium of around 3-4 weeks on withdrawal. Compared to it any SFB is tiny & probably won't even take more than a week of moratorium in case of failure.

Back