BSNL or Jio FTTH- Which one is better for gaming?

So my Hathway 3-month plan is expiring tomorrow and I was thinking of switching to either BSNL or Jio. Last 3 months with Hathway has been pretty decent. Uptime was fantastic- only 2-3 times during this period the connection was out and they usually notify for their scheduled maintenance which usually takes place at midnight. Speed is also very good. Getting advertised 50 mbps down and 25 mbps from direct links through IDM. But, latency to European servers I am afraid is not satisfactory. I play CS on some german servers and ping hovers around 150-160 on good days and 180-190 on bad days. Will this be better on BSNL or Jio? Lower latency is my main aim here. Another thing with Hathway is, when the connection is idle for a while it becomes very slow. Like after turning on the router (my own) and their ONT in morning the browsing experience is fast but within few mins it becomes sluggish. Needless to say, when on PC I always am enforced to use goodbyedpi script because most torrent sites and then some are blocked otherwise.

I made the imp. points bold for your convenience. Kindly advise.

Can't say much about BSNL but many of my guys are using JIO for gaming + regular usage and everyone seems satisfied, but I have though heard about BSNL as well they're good too, once you suffer all the hiccups in/around the initial installation and all

P.S. there is a good chance in your area BSNL has hired LCO's to work on their behalf so resolving any issue/installation time taken/any extra charges charged all depends on them as BSNL is not directly concerned there whereas in JIO you directly get to their Customer Support and other direct employees so issues get resolved fairly easily and in no time + they usually don't take more than 24 hours (at least here) for installation after you generate OTP and register on the website along with all this you can claim 30 days trial period in JIO for their 999 plan including 13-14 OTT platforms for 30 days with no questions asked disconnection policy you just have to initially pay 1500 as a fully refundable security amount which can be refunded once you surrender your connection or you can always continue using any plan further after 30 day trial period

regards

One more thing about jio though while you are getting 150mbps 1 month trial for free. you can't use 150mbps through LAN connection you have to use 5Ghz Wi-Fi for 150mpbs (but still only give 140mpbs). the router/modem which jio provide doesn't have gigabit ethernet port so only 100mbps(to be realistic only 90mbps) max on LAN connection.( But I still want to mention I didn't buy 1gbps plan maybe if you buy buy 1gbps plan thay might be provide different router/modem with gigabit port in it)

speaking of latency I don't think that's gone be an issue with jio. one of the fastest thing on earth is "light" Jio uses fiber optics cable(which also uses light to transfer data in wire made of glass) to provide internet so no problem in latency

Last edited:
Thank you both for replying and your valuable suggestions.

@CyberGhost Yes, I spoke with BSNL department head yesterday and indeed they will provide the connection through LCO. But he said there is no installation charge, but I will have to either pay 2500 for the ONT device upfront or pay 90 rs. per month rental. Now what I need to know is whether BSNL pings are better than Jio's, or Hathway's for that matter.

@Khushal This is an excellent information. Thanks a lot. I have no interest in anything other than LAN connection. Not that I care for their 150 mbps connection in long term but that's really useful to know. 50 mbps is sufficient for my needs, sometimes it feels plenty, sometimes I wish it was a bit more. We are all coming from 2 mbps from just 3 years ago after all. Thanks for your info. regarding their fibre cable tech and that it won't be a problem for high latency.

I wish there was a list of few sites to check so that I can post my pings and compare with yours to know whether Hathway is providing me decent pings or not. If either of you know any such place please refer to me.

your local area friends only can answer who has best pings.
jio is decent provided you know people in the local area.
bsnl is also much better.
I am using their 50mbps plan and it works well.
ps:not a gamer.

I have tried Jio, BSNL and Airtel FTTH and for gaming Airtel is the best.
Jio is a better value considering the OTT package and BSNL has support issues.
As far as ping is concerned , I got 2ms on Airtel, 16ms on JIO and 24ms on BSNL in my city.
So I move from BSNL to JIO to Airtel :)
Hope it helps.

I have tried Jio, BSNL and Airtel FTTH and for gaming Airtel is the best.
Jio is a better value considering the OTT package and BSNL has support issues.
As far as ping is concerned , I got 2ms on Airtel, 16ms on JIO and 24ms on BSNL in my city.
So I move from BSNL to JIO to Airtel :)
Hope it helps.
Lovely. You provided the very needed thing, data. However, I'm not sure, are those values from the nearest servers/ default selected ones on speedtest?

If airtel were available in my town bruv, I would have straightway taken their connection and not bother. May i ask you which city you are from?

This is 120mbps on a 100mbps Airtel FTTH :)

Attachments

• IMG-20201208-WA0040.jpg
    IMG-20201208-WA0040.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 210
AFAIK, BSNL is known to be absolutely abysmal for gaming. It's not just the ping, but the jitter which is terrible.

If you post a couple of server IPs here, you could get some more relevant data points. Latency to international servers would differ greatly from that to Indian servers.

AFAIK, BSNL is known to be absolutely abysmal for gaming. It's not just the ping, but the jitter which is terrible.

If you post a couple of server IPs here, you could get some more relevant data points. Latency to international servers would differ greatly from that to Indian servers.
Yes sure.

The german server where I just practice and pass time is: 31.214.240.247

The Indian server ip is: 34.93.78.146 and Singapore one: 178.128.208.231. However, I am pretty sure these last two have disabled ping checking or whatever.

I had no idea jitter was something I had to take into account, nice.

PS: I am planning go to BSNL office tomorrow to check their machines for the jitter and ping, if they allow me. Please tell me what's the best way to check jitter. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Yes sure.

The german server where I just practice and pass time is: 31.214.240.247

The Indian server ip is: 34.93.78.146 and Singapore one: 178.128.208.231. However, I am pretty sure these last two have disabled ping checking or whatever.

I had no idea jitter was something I had to take into account, nice.

PS: I am planning go to BSNL office tomorrow to check their machines for the jitter and ping, if they allow me. Please tell me what's the best way to check jitter. Thanks in advance.

and all speed tests show jitter seperately.

I am using Jio Fiber for 3 months and used BSNL FTTH for 1.5 years before it. I have never experienced a single downtime on Jio yet while on BSNL the connection dropped every couple of minutes. My recommendation is Jio.

jio has latency issues and speed are never consistent. in this department airtel is very much better. even local ISP are good.
I use local isp fiber internet DDC broadband in delhi ncr- 100 Mbps connection consistent sped and latency.

Back