Budget dehumidifier for use in a kitchen

roygarg

Disciple
Can anyone point me to a decent budget dehumidifier? Something that you have personally used. I need one for use in my kitchen to control mold growth inside the cabinets. I do not want to go for the calcium chloride desiccants. Also, highly doubt if 5 gram silica packets will be of any help. Anyone dealing with something similar and found a long term solution? Thanks in advance.

Something like this?

The advantage with gadgets like this is they can auto regenerate the silica by heating it after it saturates. The other sachets are disposable and you have to keep buying them.

I was looking into this some time back, people were DIYing by getting the desiccant putting it in bags they sewed and then after regenerating them in the oven for some time. They would change colour.

That is the general idea. A humidifier works so as long as the cupboard remains shut.

In addition, it would help to have a humidity meter to monitor levels.

The downside with cheaper meters like this is they can't be calibrated if that matters so some error of 5%+ will be there.

Won't matter in your case as you will be looking to bring the humidity down by tens of per cents.

Last edited:
Something like this?

The advantage with gadgets like this is they can auto regenerate the silica by heating it after it saturates. The other sachets are disposable and you have to keep buying them.

I was looking into this some time back, people were DIYing by getting the desiccant putting it in bags they sewed and then after regenerating them in the oven for some time. They would change colour.

That is the general idea. A humidifier works so as long as the cupboard remains shut.

In addition, it would help to have a humidity meter to monitor levels.

The downside with cheaper meters like this is they can't be calibrated if that matters so some error of 5%+ will be there.

Won't matter in your case as you will be looking to bring the humidity down by tens of per cents.
Thanks man. Wouldn't reheating silica packets in an oven serve the same purpose as this gadget? The kitchen is a problem area as it gets no sunlight and ventilation isn't great as well with the chimney as the only way out.

Thanks man. Wouldn't reheating silica packets in an oven serve the same purpose as this gadget?
How to know when they are recharged as there is no indication?

The kitchen is a problem area as it gets no sunlight and ventilation isn't great as well with the chimney as the only way out.
My idea at the time was to put this desiccant

in containers like these

You check them periodically, if the colour changes empty it on some oven pan and heat it for some time then put it back for another round.

Check the comments though. A gadget is less maintenance than this but might not absorb as much

Those can't be safely regenerated. They recommend you get the beads instead

I'm not sure what the purpose of the three kinds of beads is ?

There is white which has no indication. Then there is blue that turns pink and orange that turns green.

White is out so it is between the blue and orange
I'm interested in the gadget. However, I will need at least three to place inside the cabinets.

I am also thinking of putting beads in a container. How did it work out for you? How much do you think I will need say for a 2 ft x 2 ft cabinet?
I did not try it yet.

Those can't be safely regenerated. They recommend you get the beads instead

I'm not sure what the purpose of the three kinds of beads is ?

There is white which has no indication. Then there is blue that turns pink and orange that turns green.

White is out so it is between the blue and orange

I did not try it yet.
Time to try then. Lets see how this goes. Fingers crossed.

Back