Laptops Budget desktop-replacement laptop

vivtho

Disciple
Hi All,
I'm looking to buy a decent desktop replacement laptop by this weekend. It would be used for work as well as for leisure. My main uses would mainly be office apps and net browsing (I usually have 15-20 tabs open in Firefox at any given time). I would also like to use it for casual gaming (mainly strategy games ... all of which currently run fine on my onboard 950 graphics card).

I've more or less settled on the HP dv9502au and plan to upgrade RAM to 2GB. With this I expect it to cost around 50,000 which is near the upper limit of my budget.

Are there any other laptops out there better than this config?

Also, how is the nVidia Go 7150 for graphics? Will I be able to run Vista Aero?

Could any dv9502 users give me a review on the type's performance?... especially with regard to battery life.

Thanks in advanc.

vivtho said:
Hi All,
I'm looking to buy a decent desktop replacement laptop by this weekend. It would be used for work as well as for leisure. My main uses would mainly be office apps and net browsing (I usually have 15-20 tabs open in Firefox at any given time). I would also like to use it for casual gaming (mainly strategy games ... all of which currently run fine on my onboard 950 graphics card).

I've more or less settled on the HP dv9502au and plan to upgrade RAM to 2GB. With this I expect it to cost around 50,000 which is near the upper limit of my budget.

Also, how is the nVidia Go 7150 for graphics? Will I be able to run Vista Aero?

Could any dv9502 users give me a review on the type's performance?... especially with regard to battery life.

Thanks in advanc.

As a DTR, is battery life really important?

See if you can upgrade the RAM on your own post purchase, these MNCs charge a bomb sometimes.

Battery life is not *that* great a priority. As long as it gives me about 2 hours of use on a charge, I'd be happy. It's going to spend most of it's time plugged in.

I upgraded the RAM on my dad's laptop from a HP authorized dealer. He charged me Rs. 1050 for a 512 MB stick. I thought it was quit reasonable. I estimate the cost of adding 1GB to my config to cost around 2000-2500. Would that be a reasonabl estimate?

Any idea how much a 250gb 5400rpm hard disk will cost? Even a rough estimate will do. I need to close this deal fast!

Thanks

vivtho said:
Hi All,

If you can stretch a little bit, I would suggest the HP dv6516tx. It's got a slightly smaller screen than the 9502, but the CPU is a lot faster and the graphics card is a 8400M. It comes with 2 GB RAM as standard. I bought it a few weeks back for around 57500, may have come even further down in price:)

Thats actually the one I almost decided upon. But I feel that the additional performance is not worth the price. Most of the time I'd just be using Office, Firefox and SAP. The games I play are almost all strategy (tycoon) games or some really old DOS based abandonware games. The only time the system will be under load will be while playing GTA-SA and Wings Over Europe, which I think this config will run fine at moderate settings.

I'll need to save the money to buy an external hard drive and USB datacard?

Any idea on which data card is better - Reliance or Tata?

I've placed an order for a HP dv6502au. The 9502 was a wee bit too expensive after taxes and an upgrade to 2gb. The 6502has an identical config but with a 15.4" screen, which I can live with.

Total price 46250 inclusive of all taxes and an upgrade to 2gb RAM. I'll be picking it up on Fri/Sat. Expect a review over the weekend.

Back