Budget tablet to read pdf and ebooks

^I don't know why most people don't get this. If you're going to buy something that's going to improve your productivity, quality of life and maybe depend your career on it (in case of a student or anyone who does a lot of reading and googling, taking notes etc), don't cheap out on it. It will turn out to be a better choice financially in the long run. Like @raksrules mentioned, an entry level iPad would easily last at least 5 years before it needs a battery swap. the quality difference between a cheap android tablet and even an entry level iPad is insane that it's funny. If you can somehow extend the budget, go for it by all means. If it is going to help your career, think of it as an investment.

if a new one is completely out of your hands, get a used ipad. one with at least A9 processor (5th gen). don't get older ones.

[mention]Muathaz [/mention]

I know I will sound like a sheep or someone in Apple cult who is smoking the apple kool-aid but it is difficult to explain the joy one gets on using an app device.
It is the exact same thing I was using on my fire hd 10 but experience is night and day.

[mention]Muathaz [/mention]

I know I will sound like a sheep or someone in Apple cult who is smoking the apple kool-aid but it is difficult to explain the joy one gets on using an app device.
It is the exact same thing I was using on my fire hd 10 but experience is night and day.

This is exactly what I mean by user experience. well tbh I didn't even know that hating on apple was still a thing. I was once an apple hater too, till when I was like 15-16 maybe (2015-16)?!! Eventually I realised apple even though more expensive provided a no frills experience and the apple tax may actually be worth it.

@hgps
Do let us know what you eventually decide. Just to check today, I tried to use my old iPad 2 (was bought in 2012 but this iPad is a 2011 model) and it is on iOS 9.x.x which is the last iOS version supported on it. It is definitely sluggish as expected.
But I was surprised that I was able to install Magzter and Libby apps on it and very nicely able to read magazines on it. Kindle app is supported too.
Didn't try PDFs magazines / comics but I don't know where to find one (if anyone can point out, I can try).

If you want to read non-pdf books than there is no better option than Kindle.

There is absolutely no comparison of e-ink technology compared to any ips/led etc. any other panel for stress on your eyes. No tablet on the planet can match the technology in terms of ease of use, eye strain, battery life. Kindle battery life I get on paperwhite is anywhere between 20-45 days.

Even the weight of Ipad or any other tablet would be impossible to sustain continuously even for a few hours. Kindle is the ONLY option (unless you want to go for other eink readers which are also there but have lesser reach and books)

If your use case is however pdfs then don't go for a kindle. I think your budget is more than sufficient to get a basic tablet. Get a second-hand tablet on android or ios. Either should be good enough for your use case. You might need to be patient to find a good second-hand deal however, I think it is worth it to wait as there is no need to spend double the amount for your use case.

There is no problem with Kindle app or the magzter app on android tablets. They work perfectly fine. Absolutely no problems.

Problem might be people comparing a 35k ios tablet to a sub 10k android tablet. If you want premium android experience on tablets you can go for Samsung similarly priced ones. They have the best screens in the industry just like the Samsung phones have the best screens.

These apps will work on ios too. However, loading pdfs on iPad will be painful and you will probably need to use iTunes etc.

Last edited:
Try and get a second hand Samsung Android tablet which will work better for your use case. Screen will be better which is a huge plus for reading. You will have a lot of freedom of the ecosystem and other uses which won't be possible on apple tablets. For your use case and such popular apps their is no difference of platform on android.

Second hand android tablets might be cheaper too, if what people say about apple second hand items being more expensive is true.

I'm sure you already will be, but be very careful on OLX, lots of scammers on the platform.

Try and get a second hand Samsung Android tablet which will work better for your use case. Screen will be better which is a huge plus for reading. You will have a lot of freedom of the ecosystem and other uses which won't be possible on apple tablets. For your use case and such popular apps their is no difference of platform on android.
Do I get any commission if I join your club? xD

man for god's sake, at least now stop making yourself look like a joke. it's not funny anymore.

Do I get any commission if I join your club? xD

man for god's sake, at least now stop making yourself look like a joke. it's not funny anymore.

God fanbois are here again. for god's sake focus on your studies dude instead of making a joke of yourself and trying to make everything about your tech religion. What is it that you in every thread try to convert everyone to your tech religion?
Each and every thread you start with this and just go on and on and on.

This thread had nothing to do with android or ios till you came along and now I'm sure it will get derailed as well.

You say things like "Pixel 3/4a camera sucks and is worse than iphone 6s!" to me on pm. Do you really think anyone with even an iota of tech knowledge would say such things? Another gem from you "iphone 12 max battery lasts 60% more than android phones!" Hahahaha I would suggest you actually get some knowledge if you want people to not take you as just another fanboi in the discussions.

Last edited:

Second hand android tablets might be cheaper too, if what people say about apple second hand items being more expensive is true.

I'm sure you already will be, but be very careful on OLX, lots of scammers on the platform.
Can you tell us what all tablets you have used personally and suggest from them?

Can you tell us what all tablets you have used personally and suggest from them?
Oh i didn't know we have to provide proof of purchase for opinions now?

Over the past couple of years : Ipad air, ipad mini, Samsung galaxy tab s6, nexus 7, fire hd,kindle paperwhite, Samsung galaxy tab s7, ipad pro 2020 new one when I had gifted to my in laws

Based on this my opinion is android is equally good. No challenge with any of the apps that I already mentioned. I find the screen is better on Samsung tablets. No restrictions. I have jailbroken the ipad mini to make it somewhat useful.

Satisfied? Attached is pic of my ipad air and 2 kindles. Ipad has been lying unused because I read mostly on kindle and the Samsung tab which is with my sis for now. Had to charge this ipad air to give you a pic to satisfy your "curiosity". I had jailbroken ipad mini which I had earlier and gave it to my parents as they were furious with it after nexus 7 with the restrictions. Now everything okay for them.
IMG20201230103517.jpg

Last edited:
You say things like "Pixel 3/4a camera sucks and is worse than iphone 6s!" to me on pm.

lol when xD
i said pixel camera is worse than new iphones oh god.

Over the past couple of years : Ipad air, ipad mini, Samsung galaxy tab s6, nexus 7, fire hd,kindle paperwhite

Based on this my opinion is android is equally good. No challenge with any of the apps that I already mentioned. I find the screen is better on Samsung tablets. No restrictions. I have jailbroken the ipad mini to make it somewhat useful.

Satisfied? Attached is pic of my ipad air and 2 kindles. Ipad has been lying unused because I read mostly on kindle and the Samsung tab which is with my sis for now. Had to charge this ipad air to give you a pic to satisfy your "curiosity". I had jailbroken ipad mini which I had earlier and gave it to my parents as they were furious with it after nexus 7 with the restrictions. Now everything okay for them. View attachment 97361
see all you have used are years old tech and nothing new. gadgets have changed a lot on the inside since a few years my friend

Over the past couple of years : Ipad air, ipad mini, Samsung galaxy tab s6, nexus 7, fire hd,kindle paperwhite

Satisfied? Attached is pic of my ipad air and 2 kindles. Ipad has been lying unused because I read mostly on kindle and the Samsung tab which is with my sis for now. Had to charge this ipad air to give you a pic to satisfy your "curiosity". I had jailbroken ipad mini which I had earlier and gave it to my parents as they were furious with it after nexus 7 with the restrictions. Now everything okay for them. View attachment 97361

Omg iPad air and mini?
Were you smoking weed when u bought it?

Tab S6 screen is the flagship model with one of the best screen at 60k budget!!

How skewed you are dude and a complete hypocrite who is silently fully invested in apple devices!!

Omg iPad air and mini?

How skewed you are dude and a complete hypocrite who is silently fully invested in apple devices!!

Haha, let me understand this.

First your argument was "i haven't used apple devices which is why I prefer android and which is why my argument is invalid? ".

Now your argument is " because I have used both ios and android before providing my opinion, I am a hypocrite for some reason?"

I am not invested in or like apple products. I try them out, sometimes to gift to other family members, sometimes to just see what is the hype about.

I have found most of the times it is just hype and people saying its good just because they have bought it

Last edited:
Omg iPad air and mini?

He comes with Nexus 7 lool. no doubt it was a great device at its time. even I had one the 2013 refreshed version. but now?!!!
iirc it was worse than the corresponding iPad mini with retina. we got the nexus only cos it was cheaper. and well compared to the iPad, it showed.

lol when xD
i said pixel camera is worse than new iphones oh god.

see all you have used are years old tech and nothing new. gadgets have changed a lot on the inside since a few years my friend

Lol completely false. The latest ipad pro is now outdated technology? Samsung tab s6 is now irrelevant technology?

I just used the ipad pro some 80k model before gifting to my in laws. I spent the last month setting it up for them as they are tech noobs. Let me tell you it hasn't changed much if at all. Most of the challenges with ios are still there. Apple is a good hardware company with bad software.

Last edited:
Haha, let me understand this.

First your argument was "i haven't used apple devices which is why I prefer android and which is why my argument is invalid? ".

Now your argument is " because I have used both ios and android before providing my opinion, I am a hypocrite for some reason?"

I am not invested in or like apple products. I try them out, sometimes to gift to other family members, sometimes to just see what is the hype about.

I have found most of the times it is just hype and people saying its good just because they have bought it
No my argument was which 10k android tablet has such a nice screen that is day and night better than a used iPad?

And in your experience you haven't used a single Galaxy Tab A series tablet to compare it to iPads.

But I see you are holding on to your iPad air first gen till date!! That does say something

I couldn't see any pic of Nexus 7, fire HD etc etc in that pic but a old iPad mini(assume first gen) and iPad air(first gen) from 2013 and 2015 are sitting in your armoury.

Personally I am using a Tab S7 and sold my iPad pro in this forum. But I won't start bashing and iPad as you are doing.

No my argument was which 10k android tablet has such a nice screen that is day and night better than a used iPad?

And in your experience you haven't used a single Galaxy Tab A series tablet to compare it to iPads.

But I see you are holding on to your iPad air first gen till date!! That does say something

I couldn't see any pic of Nexus 7, fire HD etc etc in that pic but a old iPad mini(assume first gen) and iPad air(first gen) from 2013 and 2015 are sitting in your armoury.

Personally I am using a Tab S7 and sold my iPad pro in this forum. But I won't start bashing and iPad as you are doing.

Ipad mini 2 or 3 I guess
ipad air some 2 I guess... They have made so many of these i get confused with nomenclature
Ipad pro 2020. I can again show you pics for proof if you want.
S6 my sis has taken it for now. Sorry didn't have all the pics and proofs handy for this audit.

Haven't sold the air and mini as of now to keep a tab on ios. Nexus 7 stopped working after 5 years so had to dispose it. Fire hd don't remember what I had done with that.

Frankly i dont have much use for any tablets nowadays, kindle laptop and phone suffice for my use case. All the tablets generally discharge and keep lying around for someone else to use.

Comparison i made was for the operating system which is not going to change in Samsung a tabs as well. Argument that the apps which op will use are better on ios is what some people here mentioned. I don't agree with that.

And yes, as is evident from my post history i loathe apple os and its restrictions so i have no qualms expressing that. I don't have to conform to my purchase bias as I have tried and keep trying both the sides.

Last edited:
Back