Bug got new eyes

It's AWESOME
<

Nice so one more bug in the shoots. Damn have been missing a lot of photo-shoots due to health issues. Have got a green signal after 17th Mar 2012. #Brendon, #FaH33m keep me in the loop for that weekend!!

^^ Dont refer to random compare sites. HDR is best achieved in post processing, and almost all cameras can bracket exposures. That should be the last thing you should look while making a decision. This includes all the "fancy" filters which are advertised, trust me it's extremely simple to apply those fancy filters in photoshop or lightroom, in addition the implementation would be leagues ahead then what the camera could process.

Do note that availibity of lenses for Sony mount in India is a pain.

Congrats dude !!!!
<

Now I have so many Sony lenses that I need to get sell off....

Yes just let me know what you're willing to 'give away'.
<

What a Purchase!! just wow

Congratulations

I was Thinking why u got the a35 instead of D3100 and then i saw this http://snapsort.com/...vs-Sony-SLT-A35

The in Camera HDR thingy got me...Please let us know how The In camera HDR Works

Did You Get any freebies?

As Aces mentioned, don't look at that crappy snapsort website.

Well there were 2 main reasons for me not to get the Nikon D3100. First was that the lower end Nikons (D3100 and D5100) although being great cams, lack an inbuilt autofocus motor. That means I will have to spend a lot more on lenses that would AF on the camera. Secondly, Nikon prices have gone up wayyy to high because of Thailand floods. Earlier D3100 use to sell at around 27k and the D5100 at around 34k. The prices now are ~33k and ~40k respectively. Even if the prices would have been normal, it would have been a difficult for me to consider because of lack of AF motor.

So it all came down to 2 - Canon 550D or Sony A35. The 550D is a pretty solid camera and we can see that by the number of sales it has got. Canon lenses are also widely and easily available in India, so it was pretty much a safe bet to get the 550D. However I tested out both cameras and honestly I liked the Sony more. Even though the Sony is a smaller body, I liked the grip slightly better than the 550D. Mind you, I don't like the grip of either cameras that much, but Sony was a bit better in that regard. Nikon D90 has a really great grip and it's an awesome camera too, but way too over priced and out of budget for me.

The Sony also has quite a few nice features, in built image stabilization being the main one. It has a faster FPS which I'm not sure how much I'll be using.
<
It has a better 15 point AF system with 3 cross points over the old 9 point AF system with 1 cross point of 550D.

Also regarding the EVF everyone seems to be worried about, I actually preferred it over the dark and narrow pentamirror of the 550D. I didn't like the EVF at first, but after testing it a couple of times, I started to like it and it's actually quite great to use. I liked the brighter EVF over the dark pentamirror OVF of the 550D.

The Sony SLTs also have the best videos with continuous AF. Although this is one of the main USPs of the SLTs, I was least bothered about it since I have no use of video at all.

Like Aces said, all those other features like HDR, 3D sweep panorama, etc are pretty gimmicky. Though the inbuilt HDR could be useful sometimes if you don't wanna go through the hassles of doing it manually after taking bracketed shots. I haven't been able to test the cam much, only used it indoors till now, but the HDR does work pretty nice.

I honestly would have picked up a 600D because of it's swivel screen (then again I could have considered the A55
<
). But it was just out of budget and I had already stretched for the A35. I need to get spend on lenses as well.
<

Sony lenses are the biggest concern here in India. I had to research a lot of that first. I have a pretty clear picture of what I'll be needing in the near future and I can get the cheaper basic lenses that I need here locally. If I need anything else more in the future, I'll just have to arrange it somehow from outside.
<
(Or steal from #Brendon's awesome collection
<
)

Regarding freebies, normally the A35 comes with a 4GB card and a Sony bag. I only got the 4GB card and didn't get the bag. But I'm not complaining since I got the camera at a great price and the bag won't be of much use, I'll have to get a new one anyways.

Thanks everyone.
<

Back