OC & Modding Burn it or not

POLYGON

Disciple
Recently one of my friend told me that CPU's that get burn due to OC are not replaced, but CPU's burnt from thunderstriking are.
Is that crap true???

I have heard of many forumers saying that they even RMA'ed their Mobo which was damaged due to overheat produced by OC

Am totally confused, so rolled back to default config from a good OC

Plz gimme suggestion

is crap true?? u ask urself :p

You can never ever determine if that perticular proccy is overclocked. NEVER. unless u let the cat out of the bag urself :p i.e., u tell him that u have OCed it....

I don't know, I have limited resources to play with. I can only hope u understand my dilemma.

I had read a post by funkymonkey at guru3d saying that he had sent his cpu for RMA (don't know the exact reason 4 that)

nah...its impossible to determine if it was oced....

there can be many reasons..the PSU went kaput, sent surge current and thus blew the cpu....etc etc

If you overclock your CPU and its cooled properly and kept within temp limits
you wont burn ur CPU.

Only if you OC it insanely and there is no proper cooling then there might be chances of damaging the proccy.

Also no one can determine if ur CPU was overclocked unless u tell it urself ;)

i must not say this but one of my frnd had C0 rev A64 a really bad overclocker even with BH-5 modules. He was so angry and frustated that he just removed the heastsink from the cpu and started the PC and with a minute CPU was blown off.

Then he started crying on his foolishness , I told him to take a try to get CPU replaced he did and alas got a CG rev CPU of the same model incidently now his ClawHammer runs at 2.7Ghz with BH-5 running at 300mhz ddr at 3.6V @ 2-2-2-5

I don't say anybody to do above stupid thing, it was sheer luck that his mobo was not damaged, and rams were safe.

Quad Master said:
Only if you OC it insanely and there is no proper cooling then there might be chances of damaging the proccy.

Voltage is a major factor too...

For ex, take my barton. I've oced it to 2532MHz, 2.05V VCore

its stable at 2442MHz, 2.00V VCore. Temps never cross 50* even on full load at this settings. At this speed, the processor consumes about 140W of power :O it consumes just 68W on stock settings. If i run it at that speed for say....3 days, my proccy will get bust not due to heat, but due to the intense voltages :)

SunMysore said:
Voltage is a major factor too...

For ex, take my barton. I've oced it to 2532MHz, 2.05V VCore

its stable at 2442MHz, 2.00V VCore. Temps never cross 50* even on full load at this settings. At this speed, the processor consumes about 140W of power :O it consumes just 68W on stock settings. If i run it at that speed for say....3 days, my proccy will get bust not due to heat, but due to the intense voltages :)

Agreed but even then no body will be able to figure out that you had overdosed the processor with heavy voltage. Its simple OC never reveals itself untill u do so.

if u blow the proccy and get a crap as replacement, u'll curse urself for the rest of ur life for blowing it :p

Well my old CPu died not bcoz of overclocking but different reason. It died bcoz of power surge. Took my old mobo and RAM with it.
But ya. I have tried to destroy CPU and GPU on purpose out of frustration and mind you the only way you can kill them easily is with hammer or just pull the hsf and run them.
Otherwise even with oc its very hard to actiually kill CPU/GPU.
They have inbuilt cutoff transistor. Mobo has temp protection these days. I delibrately wanted to kill my 5900U. Did soo many things to it. Oced it to 600 core, flashed it with 5950 bios. Tried peltier on it.
In the end it did not die. It still works.

if you did not wanted the 5900U and wanted to destroy it , u shud have donated that
to some one in need he would have used it atleast instead of u killing it. ;)

Nah its fun trying to destroy it. And i had 2 of them. Sold 1 but couldnt sell this one.
Such a pathetic shader performance. FS2004 ran like slideshow on it when AA was enabled.
But ya its still being used by my cousine. Its ok for him. All he plays is Quake 3 and COD.

SCSI said:
i must not say this but one of my frnd had C0 rev A64 a really bad overclocker even with BH-5 modules. He was so angry and frustated that he just removed the heastsink from the cpu and started the PC and with a minute CPU was blown off.

Then he started crying on his foolishness , I told him to take a try to get CPU replaced he did and alas got a CG rev CPU of the same model incidently now his ClawHammer runs at 2.7Ghz with BH-5 running at 300mhz ddr at 3.6V @ 2-2-2-5

I don't say anybody to do above stupid thing, it was sheer luck that his mobo was not damaged, and rams were safe.
LOL now thats a great idea to get rid of my C0 clawhammer :rofl:. BTW do u mean that ram runs at 300*2 = 600MHz? Thats hard to believe cos the world record is by opb at xs... he managed to get suicide shots at 594MHz(2-2-2)@close to 4V.

Well yes i meant 300*2=600Mhz but I don't if it was stable or not b'coz he told me this.

and about the world record I must tell you there are a lot of ppl at other forums (Plz do check other forums as well XS is not the only geek forum although they are the best one) who hav gotten above 300Mhz DDR with BH-5 without using 4V, its just the case sheer luck but on average BH-5 gaurantees OC of 260Mhz DDR.

No offence, but i find 600Mhz DDR with BH-5 very hard to believe. Suicide screenies wouldnt take you that far either. Considering its a Socket754 platform, even with a single stick of 256MB it might be a bit far fetched.

The BH-5s were never designed with high frequencies in mind , only tight latencies. The CH-based UTT's were designed for higher clocks and even those are stable upto around 270-280Mhz on an average maximum.

There's a reason people are desperate for TCCD and not BH-5 ;)

Crazy_Eddy said:
No offence, but i find 600Mhz DDR with BH-5 very hard to believe. Suicide screenies wouldnt take you that far either. Considering its a Socket754 platform, even with a single stick of 256MB it might be a bit far fetched.
The BH-5s were never designed with high frequencies in mind , only tight latencies. The CH-based UTT's were designed for higher clocks and even those are stable upto around 270-280Mhz on an average maximum.
There's a reason people are desperate for TCCD and not BH-5 ;)

no offence intended by mee as well but ppl are dying out 4 TCCD not due to the fact that they clock 300Mhz+ @ respectable timings of 2.5-3-3-X but due to the fact that they run at 2.8-2.9V and the fact that they can be runned at 300+Mhz on a unmodded mobo with very respectable timings make them unique (and ofcourse expensive).

While BH-5 or CH based UTT even clock 275Mhz DDR @ 2-2-2-X it gives more bandwidth than a TCCD but then u shud have a DDR BOOSter or a modded PSU or a modded mobo.

BH-5/UTT Vs TCCD is a long and useless disscussion. The fact is both are good and BH-5 are unavailable and UTT are unavailable in India. SO TCCD wins here :clap: (but 4 mee BH-5/UTT==TCCD)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyways I have once again OC'ed my PC and this time with a nice voltage input of 1.75V my c0 has rocked to 2.6Ghz :clap: :bleh: checking 4 stability right now

Prime95 has been running since 5hrs. (I am in mood to run it till 2days at a stretch)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So ppl my final verdict is JUST BURN IT :cool2: :clap: :bleh: :eek:hyeah:

there are apparently 2 versions of BH-5 1A4T..a DDR333 one and a DDR400 one...

i hav the DDR400 one and currently DDR333 ones are in the stock.

Back