Storage Solutions Buying 500 GB Portable HDD for my laptop

The Elements SE portable drives have a history of high failure rate and a measly 1 year warranty. Get a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex / FreeAgent Go instead.

The Seagate GoFlex series has a user switchable connector, through which you can convert the USB 2.0 port to USB 3.0/eSATA port. The switchable connector is sold separately I believe.

I do not know much about the Hard Disks. I just need a portable 500 GB Hard Disk and my budget is max Rs. 2500. Can you tell me the price of Seagate Goflex 500 GB HDD. Also, is it available in 2.5' as I heard that you need to buy a connector separately (cost you Rs 600-700) for 3.5' HDDs. I just need it to store movies, songs and other multimedia files as my laptop HDD is only 160GB. Please help.

The lowest price I've seen in Chennai for the 500GB 2.5" Seagate GoFlex was Rs. 2700 with bill. Burma bazaar guys (read grey market) were selling it for Rs. 2000 but I'm not sure if their warranty would be honoured in India. In short, extend your budget by 200.

I got a Seagate Go Flex 500Gb for 2.3K from Letsbuy . I read a lot about it and a 3 year warranty was good enough for me .

If you dont need USB3 connectivity option, buy the Seagate Expansion 500GB.
It has only USB 2.0 connectivity.

I bought one around 6 months ago for 2.8k.
Should be less than 2.4k now or maybe even lesser.

Guys, please confirm if this is the Hard Disk that you are talking about:

Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 2.5 USB Kit Black 500GB

Also, I heard that in order to connect 2.5' HDD to your laptop a special connector is needed that costs extra money around Rs 600-700. Please confirm if this is true.

One of the my friends has suggested that I should buy an external 3.5 HDD and put it in USB casing. This will cost me total Rs 2000/-. Please suggest which option is better. And please tell me if Reliance Coupon is still working.

good quality external casing will cost you more,it's useful if you have more than one hd for backup or if you want to upgrade the hd frequently. Rel coupns will work onetime per account.

So the HDD mentioned above is worth to buy? And I do not need to buy any external connector to connect it to my laptop?

I will create another account with a different email address to claim the discount through the Reliance coupon.

Please suggest me to make this purchase decision.

Ah, the RCOMLSB coupon has been expired but got a new coupon RCOMLB1 (15% discount - Rs 1000 max). By the way, on letsbuy.com the price of 'Seagate External 3.5 Expansion Desktop 1TB Hard Drive' is Rs 3290 and 'Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 2.5 USB Kit Red 500GB' price is Rs 2760. Why is it so considering the space is just double in the former one?

mobile_user said:
Ah, the RCOMLSB coupon has been expired but got a new coupon RCOMLB1 (15% discount - Rs 1000 max). By the way, on letsbuy.com the price of 'Seagate External 3.5 Expansion Desktop 1TB Hard Drive' is Rs 3290 and 'Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 2.5 USB Kit Red 500GB' price is Rs 2760. Why is it so considering the space is just double in the former one?
First one is the bulkier 3.5" desktop drive that weights almost a kilo. 2nd one is a 2.5" laptop drive that weighs ~160 grams.

Ok, so if I do not need to travel with the HDD, isn't a good idea to purchase 1TB in 3290 rather than 500 GB in 2760? I mean is there any other difference between the two?

mobile_user said:
Ok, so if I do not need to travel with the HDD, isn't a good idea to purchase 1TB in 3290 rather than 500 GB in 2760? I mean is there any other difference between the two?
For the 3.5"(desktop) external drive you need external power ie., you need to plug it into a wall socket. The 2.5"(laptop) drive is powered through the USB itself.
So if physical size and this doesnt matter to you then get the desktop one!

Back