Buying a cycle/bike in US

Hey, the guy wants to try the commute. Why dissuade him?
I'm asking him to prepare himself better. Like walking the route he plans to bike, assessing the gradients then imagining what it would be like with snow or not. Then make a call. See, i have nfi how easy or difficult it is. Just that trails with slopes and sub zero temperatures are involved.

I see nobody has an answer for coming into work sweaty & smelly or drenched in case it happened to rain. BO might not be such an issue in India but it matters abroad. If it does rain then walk and take the bus. Either way his condition is less than optimal.

How many techies go to work on bicycles in india, if they are worth anything they have a motorbike or a car or get picked up in company sponsored transport AND dropped back home. Some take a bus but given the crazy hours its not always viable. That is what i see in my city.

Last edited:
I'm asking him to prepare himself better. Like walking the route he plans to bike, assessing the gradients then imagining what it would be like with snow or not. Then make a call. See, i have nfi how easy or difficult it is. Just that trails with slopes and sub zero temperatures are involved.

I see nobody has an answer for coming into work sweaty & smelly or drenched in case it happened to rain. BO might not be such an issue in India but it matters abroad. If it does rain then walk and take the bus. Either way his condition is less than optimal.

How many techies go to work on bicycles in india, if they are worth anything they have a motorbike or a car or get picked up in company sponsored transport AND dropped back home. Some take a bus but given the crazy hours its not always viable. That is what i see in my city.

Body odour is OK in India? Seriously?

I know enough techie biking to work. I am a practicing surgeon, and I biked to work for a long time. Short break now as I have a construction on going, so I go to many places [sanitary/tiles/electrical stores etc] where I have no bike parking.

Jan I start cycling to work again.

"If they are worth anything the have a bike/car' is the MOST absurd statement on this thread.

Deepak Sir,
I think blr_p has a point and nearly 90-95% of the people in India think that way. The people over here and at bikezone hardly constitute 1% of the techies he is referring to.
However that has nothing to do with this thread and since it is irrelevant I think we better let the OP decide for himself. Worse comes to worse he will take a $50-100 hit selling back the bike if the weather forbids riding to work.

The only question that matters is whether a bike is feasible or not, and quite frankly i've not heard anything from the OP confirming this either way.

Nobody wants to address coming sweaty or wet to work. why ? nobody sweats when they peddle or never get wet in the rain.

isn't this the biggest con or we do just forget about it.

You don't work up enough sweat biking 3-4 miles that you start to stink. Even if you did there are many ways around it. People bike to work all the time. I ride ~6miles to work in the heat of Arizona. BO is a non-issue in this discussion.

Anyway, OP has already bought a bike and if he doesn't like it he'll look at other means. I'm not sure why we're still talking here.

The only question that matters is whether a bike is feasible or not, and quite frankly i've not heard anything from the OP confirming this either way.

Nobody wants to address coming sweaty or wet to work. why ? nobody sweats when they peddle or never get wet in the rain.

isn't this the biggest con or we do just forget about it.

There is a member at bikezone who cycles to work in Singapore. The questions you raise about BO and getting wet in the rain are valid. But people who are passionate about cycling have found a way around it.
Most of them leave for work early and then take a bath and change their clothes at the office. Most of the tech companies have such facilities on campus and they make use of it. The guy I mentioned above keeps spare shoes and clothes at his office. Other people I know who don't even travel on a bicycle, go to the office in their workout clothes, hit the office gym in the morning and take a bath and change their clothes there itself.

If there is a gym at work, you could even work out, shower before office begins. If you're into fitness then you've got a good cover. lastly, people at tech companies tend to be eccentrics so its a more relaxed environment :D

Well, does the OP have the above facilities ?

Not even started. No helmet. And bit of a cold. Not so confident in cycling in wind. was talking with stalker about this. :D

Today was the first day of snow i seen. :D

I dont know how to classify this one. :(. When i came out of the house, it was dark, foggy and snowed all over. at 7 in morning

Back