CPU/Mobo Buying a New Rig in Chennai!

Hi ppl,
My friend who is in chennai wants to buy a Basic gaming Rig & has a tight budget of 35k approx..
I hav listed out my suggestions, plz give:
1)Price-check on Chennai,
2)Contact details on where he cud buy all this stuff in Chennai?
3)any changes u wud recommend?

Here's wat i suggested to him:

AMD Athlon64 2800+
ASUS K8N, CPU-Mobo Combo: 9.5k
XFX 6600GT AGP8X : 9.5k
2*512Mb DDR400 KVR : 4.5k
Western Digital CaviarSE 40Gb,8Mb Cache, 7.2k rpm HDD: 2.2K ?
Liteon DvD-Rom & CD-RW : 1.5k each.
Zebronics LAVA 400W Cabinet: 1.3k
Samsung 17" Monitor: 5.4k
Logitech KB/Mouse Combo: 0.7k
Creative 2.1 SBS 370 : 1.0k
---------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL : ~ 35k
---------------------------------------------------------

1) CPU_Mobo:
Cant go for S939 coz even d basic 939 combo wud b ~3-4k over d 754 & wud DEFINITELY preclude d option of upgrading d Gfz Card to d Leadtek 6800GT AGP deal.

2) GFX Card:
Coming to this, 6600GT fits into his budget, but i'v asked him to spend more to get d Leadtek 6800GT-agp; which is frankly, d best deal d indian mkt has seen in a LOOOONg time!!

3) RAM:
Since BOTH Transcend & Hynix have "fake chips" problems at d moment, i hav asked him to get d Kingston ValueRam.Had he been in Del, i cud hav goten him D43,but he's not...

4)HDD:
Dunno d price of d WD 80Gb drive, so to save some costs asked him to go for their cheapest 8Mb cache drive- d 40Gb CaviarSE.Any other 8MbCache drives?

5)Cabinet:
NO idea whether VIP/Kunhar can/is avlbl in Chennai, but Zebronics hav a Showroom in Spencer's.. Hope d Lava400W is a good cabinet??

6)Rest of d stuff lik Cdrom, monitor etc is fine i guess...

At this point it seriously makes no sense for a gaming PC to be AGP based, get an PCIE based mobo I think they have those for Socket 754 too now.

40GB is way to low by today's standards. And if he has budget then really tell him to get S939 AGP atleast if not PCI express.
And ya about the future upgrade of Leadtek 6800GT.
By the time he upgrades say after a year even pci express cards will be dirt cheap(6800GT i mean). Dont let this be a reason for choosing AGP system now. If 6600GT is what he is getting then AGP or PCi express dosent matter for now.
I would not advice S754 now unless you are on damn tight budget looking for perfect value system.

When i meant abt the Upgrade to 6800Gt was that i hav asked him NOW to get the Leadtek. At 17K, its just abt 7k over d 6600Gt & is a grt deal. If i ask him to go the PCI-E way, then he cant get d 68Gt... Ofcourse 66GT in AGP/PCI E costs d same & if that were d only choice i wud ask him to get 939+MSI RS480 board+66Gt PCI-E! Now wat to do?!!

Also, abt d HDD, i hav no idea how much is d current rate for a 80Mb 8Mb cache drive..?? If its not too much, then he can get that instead of d 40Gb...

Well a good place to buy hardware in Chennai would be Ritchie Street. Delta Peripherals is a reliable place to buy , plus they have an online price list - http://www.deltapage.com . Prices havent been updated in a month, but they give you a good estimate.

I'm not too sure if the PATA HDDs come with 8MB cache, but the SATA ones right from the 80GB model definately do.

C'mon guys, he just mentiones he is on a tight budget. Dude, stay away from the 6800GT. If you wanna buy that in your budget, your better off with a Sempron...

First, get a 3000+ S939. Don't compromise, you'll suffer later, S754 doesn't even have dual-channel RAM. Get ATi new mobo (Forgot the exact name R200, I think) and get the 6600GT (Preferably XFX, Leadtek or Gainward). That should serve you fine for atleast two years...

Ok..
Now tell me guys which wud giv better Performance (Lets leave Future-Proofing aside FTM..!)
A64 S754 2800+ Asus K8N + 6800GT Cost: 26.5k
OR
A64 S939 3000+ MSI RS480 +6600GT ?? Cost: 23k

In gaming Ofcourse the 1st config ...;)

or get 939 3000, nd an AGP mobo(contradicts the future upgradibility, seriously a big no :p ) if u can get1 ....nd the 6800GT for 17k (leadtek) :cool2:

delhiboy1000 said:
Ok..
Now tell me guys which wud giv better Performance (Lets leave Future-Proofing aside FTM..!)
A64 S754 2800+ Asus K8N + 6800GT Cost: 26.5k
OR
A64 S939 3000+ MSI RS480 +6600GT ?? Cost: 23k

Get 1 and overclock to 2.2GHz. Later on get a better cooler. The MSI board is not worth it. There are lots of issues with that board. Most forums are filled with complaints abt that board. Plus the biggest downer is that it doesnt support overclocking and has no PCI-E x1 or x4 slots.

Damn. If u had posted yesterday, I would have gone to Ritchie today and got the rates for I went near Ritchie today. Never mind. Will get the rates tomorrow and post it. Will try to get all possible options within the budget. And also need to know. Is the budget expandable ? If so, by how much ? Need to know this.

Thx a LOT ppl for ur replies..!! will run them by my friend & update him of all the possibilities!
@Freaky: Man.. he cud prob'ly expand it to 40k, tops..! thx a lot for ur help!

Just saw this MSI K8N Neo3 , cud this b a nice compromise solution??

& this has Both, a AGP AND a PCI-E slot??? More details abt d Dual AGP & PCI-E slot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I advise you to stay away from that board not too sure about it...

Now the thing is that the 6800GT is a awesome card but is gaming his pure motive only ?
The second rig will give much better performance otherwise too. S754 is already outdated and I strongly suggest you to stay away from it. If your busget permits try abd squeeze in a A8N-E, that with the 6600GT will give you enough.

DC RAM has less than a 3% difference for A64s. The RAM timings matter.
No way man ! DC ram offers much better performance and at stock speeds almost any RAM will do 2.5-3-3-7 which are good timings. Actually DC Ram is just an extra mention, the S939 thrashes S754 in all ways.

Don't get S754 dude, you will regret later...

Delhiboy!!!

Why don't you go for 3000+ 939 + RS 480 and Darky's 6800GT PCIe??? That will be the best.... Darky has lowered the price to 17K.

Back