Buying a phone around 10k - too manyoptions

nanoneo

Adept
Ok. So it's time for a new phone. Got a budget of around 10K. Can't stretch it much more than that.

Need a phone for push mail (has to be compaitble with Microsoft Exchange), Whatsapp/BBM or similar chat applications, music and the odd photo. I don't need a very powerful phone and hence the budget. Won't be using many other apps or doing much multi-tasking. Touchscreen not essential.

So, this is what I've shortlisted. Kind of confused between them:
Lg Optimus One - I know its the best VFM out there but I've always been supicious of LG phones. Will this phone last 2 years? Also the dust problem. My job requires me to stay outdoors in dusty environments so this could be a problem. Will buy the phone from Letsbuy, so no real way of knowing the manufacturing date.

Nokia E5 - A good enough phone I'm sure. Just not sure about it as I guess the OS is end of the line.

Samsung Galaxy Fit I really liked the look and feel of this phone.

Sony Ericsson X10 mini pro I've used Sony phones in the past and have been unhappy with their durability. Also, I guess this is the worst of the bunch when you compare screens and hardware

HTC Wildfire I liked the touchscreen on this phone. I'm very biased towards it but have heard bad things about its battery life.

Dell XCD 25 TE members seem to love this phone, but reviews aren't so great. Also, worried about After sales. How is Dell when it comes to cell phone service.

Info added in bold.

nanoneo said:
Lg Optimus One - I know its the best VFM out there but I've always been supicious of LG phones. Will this phone last 2 years? Also the dust problem. My job requires me to stay outdoors in dusty environments so this could be a problem. Will buy the phone from Letsbuy, so no real way of knowing the manufacturing date.

Good phone overall. Best VFM, as you said, dust issue has been solved in 2011's units. It will easily last for 2 years. The unit from letsbuy should be a few months old at most, so the dust problem should not occur.

Nokia E5 - A good enough phone I'm sure. Just not sure about it as I guess the OS is end of the line.

Good for basic use, but not much else to say about this. Cam is fixed focus, games are unplayable(due to qwerty). Seems to meet your requirements, but the O1 is a much better phone overall (Hardware + Software-wise).

Touchscreen does not seem to be necessary but touchscreen phones are the future and you will soon get used to and like using the touchscreen. The E5 has an outdated OS, there is a lack of apps(although you say you wont use many apps, you may change your opinion on them after using some excellent Android apps). It is not recommended especially since your budget permits phones such as O1 and XCD 35.

Samsung Galaxy Fit I really liked the look and feel of this phone.

Low-res display looks bad. LG O1 is better overall in UI, screen, community support, app support(not all apps will run in 240x320 res), already got or will soon get 2.3 update. Cam is slightly better than O1's.

Sony Ericsson X10 mini pro I've used Sony phones in the past and have been unhappy with their durability. Also, I guess this is the worst of the bunch when you compare screens and hardware

Screen is too small for comfortable use. Stuck on Eclair (Lucky even to get Eclair, i say). Avoid.

HTC Wildfire I liked the touchscreen on this phone. I'm very biased towards it but have heard bad things about its battery life.

Similar advantages, disadvantages as Galaxy fit. (Low res display, weaker internals, lesser community support and apps), slightly better cam than O1 probably.

Dell XCD 25 TE members seem to love this phone, but reviews aren't so great. Also, worried about After sales. How is Dell when it comes to cell phone service.

I think you mean the XCD 35. Its internals are similar to O1's, but it has a better screen(bigger + higher res), but is said to be laggy. Stuck on Eclair too, and about the service, I think Dell's service should be good.

Thanks for the detailed reply mate. Looks like it's a toss up between the Dell XCD 35 (No typo this time) and the LG 01. Hmmm....pretty confused between the two. The e5 is my backup option then. Seems like the least exciting but most durable of the three.

Also, please excuse all the typos in the OP. Suffering from a bit of blurry vision.

dell after sales should be good .. it has direct replacement in case of any defect for phones . unlike others which repair first . i found the phone to be good also overall , gifted one to my gf . screen is crisp and big and cam also ok .

^-- Not worth the hassle to me. I've always had the worst luck with phones crapping out.

So, I've had a demo of the O1 and loved it. Didn't seem laggy like I expected it to be. But I can't seem to find the XCD35 in any of the local shops. Hows the look of the phone? Is it plasticky like all those acer phones?

I have two final questions. And I guess this will be the decider.

1.Which phone has a better battery life? Or are they similar here too

2. Which phone has better music quality? Average music clarity will do here

1. Orange SanFrancisco with CM7 Gingerbed has good performance (At least I dint find any Lag check if DELL XCD 35 can be upgraded)
2. Again Dell XCD35 definitely looks better and build quality is also good. Music clarity is above average
3. Battery Life My Sanfrancisco lasts a fullday.

With RCOM coupon on letsbuy you can get Dell XCD 35 close to 9K. Its availabe in all Dell Stores.

1. The LG Optimus One has better battery life than XCD35 due to a larger battery (1500 mAh vs 1250 mAh) and smaller screen. Should last a couple of days easily on moderate usage.

2. I do not know about the XCD35, but the O1 has average music clarity. (neither very good, nor bad)

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm leaning towards the O1. Battery life is important to me. Will get it if and when it comes back in stock on letsbuy. If my patience gets the better of me I'll just get the XCD35.

Why haven't you considered Micromax A70?
When it comes to A70 vs O1 - Definitely O1 has an upper hand, but at an expense of 2,000 INR.

Disadvantages of A70 against O1:
--> Battery life on O1 might be better than A70
--> Custom ROM support is non existent or very few for A70.
--> Wifi Bug (Wifi Signal is weak)
--> 256 MB RAM on A70

But A70 costs 2000 INR less than Optimus One.

I've used the device for a day and I've liked it very much. Premium finish, good build quality, nice camera, bright screen and definitely snappy UI experience. Before you buy the O1 @ letsbuy, go to your nearest mobile shop and check out A70.

Micromax Andro A70 Android 2.2 Full In depth Review - YouTube

Thanks for the suggestion emmarbee. I did consider the A70. Lets just say I have to be shallow with my gadget brand names. I work in an environment where having a brand like micromax, regardless of how good the actual phone is, would not reflect well on my me. Yes, it is very shallow, but that's how it is.

guys, i too have similar requirements so didnt want to create a new thread.
basically narrowed down to optimus one and wildfire S. is it worth to put in extra 3-4k for wildfire S considering my requirements.

i would like to get a comparison on these aspects

1. connectivity/browser/wifi
2. call quality
3. photo and music quality
4. build quality - phone must last at least 2-3 yrs
5. battery life

emmarbee said:
Why haven't you considered Micromax A70?
When it comes to A70 vs O1 - Definitely O1 has an upper hand, but at an expense of 2,000 INR.

Disadvantages of A70 against O1:
--> Battery life on O1 might be better than A70
--> Custom ROM support is non existent or very few for A70.
--> Wifi Bug (Wifi Signal is weak)
--> 256 MB RAM on A70

But A70 costs 2000 INR less than Optimus One.

I've used the device for a day and I've liked it very much. Premium finish, good build quality, nice camera, bright screen and definitely snappy UI experience. Before you buy the O1 @ letsbuy, go to your nearest mobile shop and check out A70.

Micromax Andro A70 Android 2.2 Full In depth Review - YouTube
but it is micromax.. nakli BB...
a normal tee costs x but wid a brand name it can multily..
see shirts and pants from some random place and from allen solly,zodiac typessssssssss
one word brand
and i feel dat 256 ram is a major drawback as well...

Sorry for the late update, was facing some monetary issues so didn't buy the phone. Been asking around, and apparently the the O1's dust problem hasn't been fixed. It just takes longer to show up in the new models. Sigh! Almost bought one too.

So I take it the Dell XCD 35 is the only option left to me. Wish it wasn't so laggy. Am tempted to buy the HTC Wildfire instead. Used my friend's one and it was good. The only problem of course was the lower res screen. But I can live with that.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Ok, Bought the Dell XCD 35. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Back