Car & Bike Buying a Used car: Need Advice.

Just came back.

Checked out two Esteems, one matiz.

2000 Matiz. Ac, power steering. 55K. I backed out. (spares ?)

2002 Esteem. Beige color. Power steering / power windows / ac. Good overall condition. Quote: 1.40L

1999 Esteem. Green color. LPG Kit. Ac only. Ok Condition. Lot of dents. Quote: 80K.

Am going to take the mechanic to check out these models.

What do you guys suggest ?

2002!

thats about 7 years, id suggest that around 2L u could get a 2004 Esteem

but anyway if the conditions are satisfactory give it a try

You should also look around for Zen

if you /your folks are absolute noobs with respect to driving. better get a hatch. If at least one of you is somewhat confident, a sedan is fine, and remember to get some reversing sensors, if you dont already

ReekingArchvile said:
2002!
thats about 7 years, id suggest that around 2L u could get a 2004 Esteem
but anyway if the conditions are satisfactory give it a try

You should also look around for Zen

Looking at other options. Thanks.

greenhorn said:
if you /your folks are absolute noobs with respect to driving. better get a hatch. If at least one of you is somewhat confident, a sedan is fine, and remember to get some reversing sensors, if you dont already

I am pretty good at driving. And what are reversing sensors ? :ashamed:

whacky_rohan said:
+1 to greenie.. and the 2002 esteem seems like a very good option.. check the service history..

Getting the mechanic to check the Esteem tomm.

Also going to check,

Santro Dec2002. PS / Ac. No PWindows. Asking 1.35L. How's that ?
M800 Dec2002. No details yet. 95K ?

bunch of sensors you attach to the rear of your car. will show distance to the rear as an LED display. a standalone LED unit , or within a replacement mirror which clips over your current one. the latter is a bit more expensive.

Prices are 3~4k

greenhorn said:
bunch of sensors you attach to the rear of your car. will show distance to the rear as an LED display. a standalone LED unit , or within a replacement mirror which clips over your current one. the latter is a bit more expensive.

Prices are 3~4k

Ok. Thanks greenie !
But please give your views on the above models.

I drive a hatch, so i dont need it.Fitted the mirror one ( do you dont have to take your eyes off the IRVM while reversing) in a friend's dzire, and works as one would want it to. The Dzire , and to a lesser extent , the swift NEED reversing sensors, Have never driven an esteem, so cant comment if one is really needed.

Any esteem owners here ?

Matiz = avoid. buy only if you have a friend in korea or nearby who can bring you the parts cheap :p

between the esteems. I'd say go with the mech's advice. the 2002 obviously seems like a better car.

hunt around a bit more ;)

Hey Raj,

Got an Alto LXi 2006 July, driven around 18,200 Kms.

Color: Wine Red

Never dented or met with an accident. I have claimed 'No Claim Bonus' on both the occasions that I have renewed the insurance. In fact I have never ever had a tire puncture. Its has mostly been driven on the palm beach road from Nerul to Vashi and back.

Its got ICE that has been installed under the expert supervision of B&T from team-bhp, he's the Chief Operating Officer for Hermit Audio who sell

Illusion, Steg and Ground Zero to name a few.

ICE in the car,

Pioneer 5500 HU

Illusion 6.1 Electra Components

GZ 4 channel Amp

GZ Sub with Custom Enclosure

Illusion speaker wires

GZ Amplifier wiring kit

Triple layer Noisekill Damping on front 2 doors and boot door

The Audio system is worth 45k

Besides, it has (All are non-bundled accessories with an Alto)

1. Nippon autocop (5 years warranty)

2. Llumar film worth 6000 bucks

3. Suede fabric seat covers

4. Cigg lighter socket with the lighter

5. Side Mirror

6. FM Antenna

7. Rubber Matting all around with rear Mat

8. Mud Flaps

Selling it for 2.45 Lakhs. Let me know

greenhorn said:
I drive a hatch, so i dont need it.Fitted the mirror one ( do you dont have to take your eyes off the IRVM while reversing) in a friend's dzire, and works as one would want it to. The Dzire , and to a lesser extent , the swift NEED reversing sensors, Have never driven an esteem, so cant comment if one is really needed.

Any esteem owners here ?

Matiz = avoid. buy only if you have a friend in korea or nearby who can bring you the parts cheap :p

between the esteems. I'd say go with the mech's advice. the 2002 obviously seems like a better car.

hunt around a bit more ;)

+1 !

10chars

deja vu...is the OP some long lost bro of mine...our requirements cannot be more similar...even im looking for a used car for abt 1L to practice some driving and im staying in sion-dadar region too...will hav to keep an eye on this thread now :)

@raj...if u agree im willing to accompany u on ur visits to car dealers etc...maybe we cant get some discount if we buy two cars ? whatsay?

Ragin_Ice said:
Hey Raj,

Got an Alto LXi 2006 July, driven around 18,200 Kms.
Color: Wine Red

Never dented or met with an accident. I have claimed 'No Claim Bonus' on both the occasions that I have renewed the insurance. In fact I have never ever had a tire puncture. Its has mostly been driven on the palm beach road from Nerul to Vashi and back.

Its got ICE that has been installed under the expert supervision of B&T from team-bhp, he's the Chief Operating Officer for Hermit Audio who sell
Illusion, Steg and Ground Zero to name a few.

ICE in the car,

Pioneer 5500 HU
Illusion 6.1 Electra Components
GZ 4 channel Amp
GZ Sub with Custom Enclosure
Illusion speaker wires
GZ Amplifier wiring kit
Triple layer Noisekill Damping on front 2 doors and boot door

The Audio system is worth 45k

Besides, it has (All are non-bundled accessories with an Alto)

1. Nippon autocop (5 years warranty)
2. Llumar film worth 6000 bucks
3. Suede fabric seat covers
4. Cigg lighter socket with the lighter
5. Side Mirror
6. FM Antenna
7. Rubber Matting all around with rear Mat
8. Mud Flaps

Selling it for 2.45 Lakhs. Let me know

Super tempting. Like yesterday's phone offer ;)
But can't buy it for several reasons.
1. Will overshoot my budget by almost 1lac. I can max stretch my budget to 1.7 for a good deal.
2. Defies my "Buy a cheap car just to learn" point.
3. All the ICE is super sweet ! But again, doesn't make sense for me to get it. Just need a basic car to drive around. ICE will be an issue with my next purchase.
JeDiKnight said:
deja vu...is the OP some long lost bro of mine...our requirements cannot be more similar...even im looking for a used car for abt 1L to practice some driving and im staying in sion-dadar region too...will hav to keep an eye on this thread now :)

@raj...if u agree im willing to accompany u on ur visits to car dealers etc...maybe we cant get some discount if we buy two cars ? whatsay?

You are more than welcome to join me buddy. :)
I saw a few cars at the Petrol pump near Aurora theatre yesterday.
Will be checking a couple @ Jain Society, Sion today.

I have a bike and my dada joins me for checking out the cars.
Do let me know. If you want, I will pass on the agent's and the guy @ the petrol pump's phone no.

Back