Car & Bike Buying a Used car: Need Advice.

would avoid the indigo..

your best pick would be an old zen or M800 for gettin the hang of driving..

some guy in shivaji park (dadar) was talkin abt sellin his old Alto 1.1 Vxi.. ill ask around n let you know more..

the 60k repair bill was actually due to the incompetent ford service center. some seal or cap in the cooling system was busted, and they changed a lot of other stuff at his expense , and about 3~4 sets of coolant refills (ford uses some proprietary coolant) before finally figuring out the problem.

the indigo - looks like a good deal, unless its a petrol, in which case , avoid.

but it will need more maintenance than , say an esteem, and if you are not planning to buy a diesel vehicle eventually/ have a monthly running in excess of 1000 km per month, does not make sense. And its nice if you can find out a good garage which specializes in tata cars. tata ASS is cheap, but dumb, and their diagnosis skills are zilch

I would buy it , if it were for me , since I've been driving an indica for 2 years and figured out a lot of the cars idiosyncrasies by virtue of owning it , and hanging around at the Indica user group.

But not recommended for a newbie, since its a diesel car, the power steering and the controls - clutch, gearbox etc are an order of magnitude harder than an alto etc, and the visiblity of the front is very low (its like sitting on an elephant :p)

BUT , if you are planning to buy a new diesel sedan eventually, and if you know the service history/owner of the indigo, I'd say buy it. It will be hard to learn initially, but once you get comfortable , all other cars will be a piece of cake for you - I have had the same experience with my indica :)

whacky_rohan said:
would avoid the indigo..
your best pick would be an old zen or M800 for gettin the hang of driving..

some guy in shivaji park (dadar) was talkin abt sellin his old Alto 1.1 Vxi.. ill ask around n let you know more..

Thanks Rohan. Let me know about the Alto.

greenhorn said:
the 60k repair bill was actually due to the incompetent ford service center. some seal or cap in the cooling system was busted, and they changed a lot of other stuff at his expense , and about 3~4 sets of coolant refills (ford uses some proprietary coolant) before finally figuring out the problem.

the indigo - looks like a good deal, unless its a petrol, in which case , avoid.

but it will need more maintenance than , say an esteem, and if you are not planning to buy a diesel vehicle eventually/ have a monthly running in excess of 1000 km per month, does not make sense. And its nice if you can find out a good garage which specializes in tata cars. tata ASS is cheap, but dumb, and their diagnosis skills are zilch

I would buy it , if it were for me , since I've been driving an indica for 2 years and figured out a lot of the cars idiosyncrasies by virtue of owning it , and hanging around at the Indica user group.

But not recommended for a newbie, since its a diesel car, the power steering and the controls - clutch, gearbox etc are an order of magnitude harder than an alto etc, and the visiblity of the front is very low (its like sitting on an elephant :p)

BUT , if you are planning to buy a new diesel sedan eventually, and if you know the service history/owner of the indigo, I'd say buy it. It will be hard to learn initially, but once you get comfortable , all other cars will be a piece of cake for you - I have had the same experience with my indica :)

Will find out more about the Indigo (if possible) and post back.
I don't think monthly runnings going to cross 1000km.
Petrol makes more sense, right ?

its not a good idea to buy a diesel car if ur usage isnt much..

and abt the Alto.. the guy is saying hes gonna hang on to it for a couple of months coz there is some family problem (dunno the details..).. ill let u know wen he is willing and ready to sell..

whacky_rohan said:
its not a good idea to buy a diesel car if ur usage isnt much..

and abt the Alto.. the guy is saying hes gonna hang on to it for a couple of months coz there is some family problem (dunno the details..).. ill let u know wen he is willing and ready to sell..

Ok. Do let me know then.

greenhorn said:
yup, petrol makes sense, and in that case, avoid tata :p

Alright. On the lookout for something else :)

thetoxicmind said:
@rajshash
So did you visit TrueValue ???

Did not get time yesterday. Had lots of guests !
But I did happen to meet a friend in the evening and had a chat about me looking for a used car.
He instantly offered his 2004 Santro.
Since I know the car since quite some time and also know how its been maintained, it would be a sweet deal. He will let me know in a few days whther or not he will go ahead with the idea.
So I might postpone TrueValue for the next few days :)

Will keep this thread updated.

Buy from Maruti True Value or First Choice, if and only if, you have no other options.

They are known to have rigged odos and do nothing in the name of refurbishment. Plus their prices are 30-50k higher than open market.

Do your due diligence properly. If buying from TV/FC, ask them for a copy of the RC and contact the owner directly.

greenhorn said:
how much is he asking? remember to do a comparo with carwale :)

He is quoting ~1.5L.

nishantgandhi said:
Buy from Maruti True Value or First Choice, if and only if, you have no other options.

They are known to have rigged odos and do nothing in the name of refurbishment. Plus their prices are 30-50k higher than open market.

Do your due diligence properly. If buying from TV/FC, ask them for a copy of the RC and contact the owner directly.

Read up a lot on team-bhp about TV. Will keep that in mind. Thanks :)

nishantgandhi said:

First Choice is known for such issues...

As far as TrueValue is concerned, the previous car owners leave their cars at MS dealerships and they in turn send it to TrueValue centres to get them overhauled/serviced and ready for display/delivery.Atleast some transparency !?

Might depend on the place too.

You do pay a premium but get your money's worth and their support...

greenhorn said:
that's a nice price for a 2004 santro. check how many km it has run, and which variant it is

It is a nice price. I will get to check the kms and the version coming weekend when I meet him again.
Will post back.

i would advice against buying things from friends..

but it u think its a nice deal and everything is in good working condition then its cool.. otherwise better to avoid..

whacky_rohan said:
i would advice against buying things from friends..
but it u think its a nice deal and everything is in good working condition then its cool.. otherwise better to avoid..

I generally avoid buying / selling deals that involves friend's too, considering a deal goes sour, things get nasty ! :hap5:
But with this friend the case is different, we both know how things are, and there's no blame game !

Back