Graphic Cards Buying advice on this Card

dsarosh

Adept
Hi,
I am thinking about buying this zotak 9600GT card for myself:
Zotac NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT 512MB ZT-96TES3P-FSR Graphics Card -

I have a coolermaster 600W tripple rail PSU with extra power cables, so I think the power requirements are covered.

What do you guys think about this card?
Usually I buy cards but play older games on them... I don't expect this game to run new games like crysis at high details.
My resolution will never be above 1400x900.

What do you guys think about the performance of this card on games like Collin McRea Dirt, Medal of Honor - Air Borne, Soldier of Fortune -Payback, Call of Juarez, STALKER -Shadow of Cherbonyl, etc, etc.

If you think I will get a much nicer deal if I wait a few months I can do that.
Also if anyone has any alternative, reliable websites I can buy from, please do let me know.

Thanks and merry Christmas.

Before posting the above post I had phoned up my local hardware guy, and asked him about the same zotak 9600gt card.

He said he could only get an xfx 9600gt and the best price he would give me was 7,300Rs.

Can someone give me some idea about the performance of this card at 1400x900 resolution?

^^ it'll easily run most current games at med-high and recent games at all settings high.

I've have the same card myself. I finished Stalker SOC, Crysis, Crysis Warhead and a bunch of other games on it.

Since you are based in Goa, i guess that rules out local stores..

try mediahome.in for MSI cards. the site is not up yet, but they have a dealer registered here with the same user id.

You can also try Amarbir (lynx-india.com) and Rahul (theitwares.com)

I've been through 10 nvidia agp cards, and am on my first nvidia pcie card, but havent owned a singled ati card ever, so its hard for me to compare.

I looked up the prices of the ati cards and the 4830 cost about 8900Rs and the 4870 started at above 16,000Rs, this is way beyond my budget, so I'm going to have to pass on these.

The 4670 from ati seems to be less powerful than the 9600GT too.

Also, the cheapest xfx 9600Gt available on lynx-india.com was for Rs.8100

On techshop.in the cheapest xfx 9600gt was priced at 11,700Rs.

So I think my dealer's offer of 7300Rs for the xfx 9600GT sounds good, and I'll get to buy it instantly and also I've had some great experience with xfx cards in the past, very strong and durable.

Can't seem to make up my mind just yet.

9600GT is an excellent GPU in the price range. Zotac is a good company and you are getting deal. I dont see a negative reason for not buying it.

Just another question and I hope people will respond...

Why is there so much difference between the zotak 6600gt which cost Rs.6720Rs

And the asus 6600Gt which cost more than double that at Rs14,500/-

Asus NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT 512MB EN9600GT/HTDI/512M Graphics Card -

The zotak card is actually 725mhz while the asus is slower at 650Mhz. Is it because of the HTDI in the asus with some extra hd ports etc.

Whats the reason there is so much difference in price quality of the same chip-based cards?

dsarosh said:
Just another question and I hope people will respond...

Why is there so much difference between the zotak 6600gt which cost Rs.6720Rs

And the asus 6600Gt which cost more than double that at Rs14,500/-

Asus NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT 512MB EN9600GT/HTDI/512M Graphics Card -

The zotak card is actually 725mhz while the asus is slower at 650Mhz. Is it because of the HTDI in the asus with some extra hd ports etc.

Whats the reason there is so much difference in price quality of the same chip-based cards?

firstly.. those are 9600GT's :lol:

and secondly the differential pricing is due to nonsensically idiotic pricing policies followed in India that try to project Asus as a ULTRA premium brand. Asus cards ARE good. But, surely not good enough to demand this kind of a premium

To add to the above, ASUS always carries a premium on all its products and hence the difference in price. However, through local dealers, it won't be this much of a difference as quoted in techshop. It would be something like 3000 bucks of difference.

A point to note for u, the Zotac card mentioned there has a core clock of 675 and not 725 as quoted in techshop. 725 comes on the Amp edition card and not on the standard edition card.

Zotac cards are good and usually follow the reference design of 9600GT. They are cool enuf to worry about brands. Just go for the cheaper one. :)

I am using a Palit 9600 GT (clock speed 650 Mhz) and I played:
Medal of Honor - Air Borne Assault , Soldier of Fortune - Payback and Call of Juarez at 1680x1050

Haven't played: Colin Mc Rae: Dirt and Stalker: Shadows of Chenobyl.

But, since Grid runs well at 1680x1050 I think Colin Mc Rae should be just fine. I do have Stalker shadows of Chenobyl's setup if you want I can try it out and let you know the resolution.

Thanks for the replies. Prabs, thanks for giving some feedback on the 9600GT performance too.

I had read in a leading magazine which said that "With graphics cards, you get what you pay for".

I always thought this applied for performance as well as quality/durability.

So I thought the more expensive cards of the same model would have higher durability, heat resistance, dust resistance, etc, etc.

I'm going to go for the 9600Gt soon, after my relatives leave around the 13th of January.

Another question:

When is Nvidia's new cards due? Are there any reports of when nvidia is going to launch their new cards, or launch mid range/low range cards to their current high-end gtx range?

I wouldn't pay more for higher clock speeds because you can always use riva tuner to increase clock speeds.
So far I haven't overclocked it for any game.

Ah finally upgrading... from a card.. thats 2 times worse than my 8600Gt! ;)

go with 9600GT, should be good for 1440x900. Its available in the us for just 110$ or 4830(lil better than 9800GT) for 125$. 4850 is awesome, 160$ :O

dsarosh said:
You must be located in usa, or you had friends come down?

Iam from India itself.. From a place where computers hardware is always overpriced.. Trivandrum (Kerala)..

Initially i got a quote for 7.8K for the card, but after a bit of negotiation the price came down to 6K:clap: :clap: :clap: ..

Back