Buying camera, Entry level DSLR or a Super-zoom?

Rahul++

SuperUser
Skilled
After having amazing experience with mobile photography, I want to shift to the real photography world. I want to enter in Professional photography.

I'm in big dilemma, I can spend ~22-23k on camera. I just saw some good reviews of Panasonic Lumix FZ35 which is great Super-zoom Camera. Rather, some friends suggested me to go with Nikon D3000 which costs 23.4k with 18-55 Lens on JJMehta eshop whereas FZ35 costs me ~16.5k on ebay.

I've good experience with compact digital cameras but never played around with super-zoom digital cameras or DSLR.

What would be your opinion, which one should I go for? Nikon D3000 or Panasonic Lumix FZ35? Any other suggestions within that range?

Should I spend more to get a DSLR or save money and get super-zoom digital camera?

I hope, TEians will help me to end up this dilemma with good choice. :cool2:

See a DSLR has a very short zoom range and its more bulky and has a learning curve associated with it.

If you wish to invest time and effort (and money) into a DSLR then go for it. Else get a FZ35. Its IQ is pretty good.

If you look at the performance, DSLR are leaps ahead than prosumer cameras, including big zooms on small sensors is again something which will give you bad photos esp in night.

If you want to jump into photography then SLR is a way to go, if you shoot like only in friends party or while on a trip then go for a prosumer.

Spacewise, both are bulky and take a lot of space, maintenance wise DLRs are little costly to maintain as you have to be careful with storing them.
Learning curve wise IMO there is not much of a difference between a DSLR and a prosumer you can shoot in auto mode in both if you want to shot quickly.

And since you have already mentioned you are into photography, it should not be difficult to learn. Oh btw the learning is almost exactly same on prosumers and DSLRs.

Now coming to lenses, this the front which will make keeping DSLRs little costly as compared to their prosumer counterparts but hey it's good to have lenses which perform differently.
At the max you will need 3-4 lenses for almost all kinds of shooting.

So to summersize:
SLR pros:
Image quality
Night shooting
Creativity in shooting
No shutter lag
Lenses
Cons:
Require little maintenance
Fragile as compared to prosumers
Costly zoom lenses if you are into wildlife photography

The ulta applies for prosumers
Pros:
Easier to maintain
Versatile lens for multiple occasions

cons:
image quality as compared to SLRs
noise in night shooting
shutter lag
have to stick with one lens

Phew!!!:cool2:
after weighting both sides its your call what you want to do..:)

Entry-level DSLRs don't offer the image quality of their more expensive pro counterparts, but are still probably a better choice at that budget range. Obviously there is a bit of a learning curve, but the advantage is that you can build a nice collection of glass within a single marque and upgrade bodies as you go along, as the mounts remain the same.

Superzooms are less fussy, but they also have lower image quality. I actually think they are much less durable than DSLRs of any kind - my D40, for example, is built like a tank, and its low-light performance is pretty good. Yes, I get less megapixels than a 12MP superzoom but it really does not matter as I never print my pictures at all, or view them beyond their native size (I have a 2560x monitor)...

Not much point in a gazillion megapixels when a 24" monitor can only display 2 of them....

You can probably guess which one I'm recommending here.

^^ oh and one more thing, with DSLRs you are never short of focal length, say you bought a prosumer which claim 20x zoom:rofl: next month a new one come with 25x zoom then you will think arey yaar maal old ho gaya hai :rofl:

So you get my point, with DSLRs you can buy a big lens whenever required or rent if you are short on budget..!!:hap2:

Wow, Got replies with a suggestion little more to DSLR..

What I think is

- I'm much into photography, I've used digital cameras and I always felt a need of manual focusing for macro shots.

- I always play with stuff I get, so it's not hard to get familiar with DSLR for me.

- I always needed a Professional level camera so that I can enjoy the photography with my best.

What I learnt from your replies..

- DSLR is good for ability of changing lens for different types of shoot.

- Super-zoom have lower image quality and it's noisy.

- DSLR will never let me feel the need of changing the 'whole' camera for extra zoom (upgrading lens will do)

- DSLR is good if I want to keep myself in photography interest.

So, I'll have to go with DSLR only as per my need is to get professional tool.

Now question is, within 23-24k, any other better D3000 competitor?

the D3000 is a very good camera, though a lot of people here and elsewhere point towards the Alphas as a worthy competitor. The 1000D (or whatever Canon names their entry level model) is really no slouch either. In the end it will come down to a mix of how far you plan to take the hobby, brand fanaticism, glass availability and image quality.

I use manual focus most of the time so all the fancy goodies on the D3000 don't do enough for me to upgrade - but one word of advice, try and push for an upgrade to the VR lens on the D5000 instead of the stock lens (you may need to buy from grey for this). You'll really thank your stars later, specially if you do lots of low-light photography indoors, or with a few beers in your belly. One would argue that for that kind of use a DSLR would be excessively bulky and totally uncool, and they would be right. I prefer to use a cellphone cam for that kind of stuff anyway ;)

In superzoom cameras the lens is 35mm with optical zooming upto 28x in current 20k range in market. But in DSLR u can for for 55-140 and 140-200 mm cameras. simply DSLR is needed when u think your prints gotta be published somewhere like photography journals or clients where you make money, because SLR lenses costs more then the camera body.

@Cranky - Actually the D3000 comes with the 18-55mm VR lens only. :)

But yeah the D5000 has a better sensor. Get that if you are willing to spend 27k.

^^ are you sure that there is a sensor difference in both models??

I think both of them uses same 11pt AF system and same APS-C equivalent sensor, only difference is in shooting HD video.

sh@sh! said:
^^ are you sure that there is a sensor difference in both models??
I think both of them uses same 11pt AF system and same APS-C equivalent sensor, only difference is in shooting HD video.

the nikon D3000 uses a CCD sensor and AFAIK their isn't a single DSLR with CCD sensor that can take videos.
The D5000 uses the CMOS sensor mostly the same as D90.

@OP
If you want to go for a prosumer cameras have look at fuji s100fs,S200EXR and even the newer HS10.

offcourse the D3000 is better if you afford the lenses and don't mind carrying them.

Can't I shoot HD videos from D3000?

Just searched for it, D3000 doesn't have HD video recording. So sad.. I'll have to save some more money for D5000 then. HD video recording is very essential that I need. :cry:

Edit - Just saw price for Nikon D5000, JJ Mehta quoted Rs. 36,500 for D5000 with 18-55 Lens.. Which is not good deal as many dealers on ebay are selling it for 29k including lens and 25k for body only.

I would like to bring some points into notice.

Although DSLRs are said to have larger sensor, it doesnt apply well with entry level ones which might be having around 1.5cm sq. And a super zoom like FZ35/SX10 IS has about 1cm sq.

Coming to manual controls, the super zooms like FZ 35 has almost same manual features and in entry level DSLR like d1000/D3000. Manual focus in DSLR is done using a focusing ring, whereas in FZ 35 its done via a joystick. Focusing ring is much better, but still joystick too is much better than +/- buttons on some entry level PnS with some manual controls.
FZ 35 and SX10 IS has amazing video capabilities. FZ 35 can record in 720p, and produces pertty good results, and the super zoom is a big boon especially in videos. You have to see it to believe it. You will need expensive lenses for such zooms in a DSLR, but it ll give better results than superzooms.

And coming to focusing time/shutter lag, all the advantages of DSLR doesn apply very much on entry level ones, and here too FZ35 like cams are real close. For eg> FZ 35 takes hardly a second for bootup, and less than half a second to focus in AF mode which are 4~5X better than most PnS cams.

just my 2 cents. If you are willing to upgrade many lenses in future (which might costs lot more than the cam itself), go for DSLR. But out of the box, the FZ 35 has very much to offer and is definitely worth the price.

There are very small upgrades available for super zooms too. Cheap upgrades incluse a Macro lens kit, CPL filters, UV filters etc.

There are some telezoom lens, super macro kit etc for FZ 35 too.

Have a look at this > Raynox conversion lens and accessories for Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ28, DMC-FZ28EB, DMC-FZ18, DMC-FZ18EB Digital Cameras

But definitely, if i had a choice at 30k, i would pick a DSLR :D

and sell of some stuffs to get upgrades.

Finally, I'll have a extended budget of Rs.30k.. Suggest me good DSLR which fits within my budget?

I need a DSLR which can take HD videos.

dOm1naTOr said:
I would like to bring some points into notice.

Although DSLRs are said to have larger sensor, it doesnt apply well with entry level ones which might be having around 1.5cm sq. And a super zoom like FZ35/SX10 IS has about 1cm sq.

Coming to manual controls, the super zooms like FZ 35 has almost same manual features and in entry level DSLR like d1000/D3000. Manual focus in DSLR is done using a focusing ring, whereas in FZ 35 its done via a joystick. Focusing ring is much better, but still joystick too is much better than +/- buttons on some entry level PnS with some manual controls.
FZ 35 and SX10 IS has amazing video capabilities. FZ 35 can record in 720p, and produces pertty good results, and the super zoom is a big boon especially in videos. You have to see it to believe it. You will need expensive lenses for such zooms in a DSLR, but it ll give better results than superzooms.

And coming to focusing time/shutter lag, all the advantages of DSLR doesn apply very much on entry level ones, and here too FZ35 like cams are real close. For eg> FZ 35 takes hardly a second for bootup, and less than half a second to focus in AF mode which are 4~5X better than most PnS cams.

just my 2 cents. If you are willing to upgrade many lenses in future (which might costs lot more than the cam itself), go for DSLR. But out of the box, the FZ 35 has very much to offer and is definitely worth the price.

There are very small upgrades available for super zooms too. Cheap upgrades incluse a Macro lens kit, CPL filters, UV filters etc.
There are some telezoom lens, super macro kit etc for FZ 35 too.
Have a look at this > Raynox conversion lens and accessories for Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ28, DMC-FZ28EB, DMC-FZ18, DMC-FZ18EB Digital Cameras
But definitely, if i had a choice at 30k, i would pick a DSLR :D
and sell of some stuffs to get upgrades.

I sincerely hope you were joking ! :ashamed:

There is a HUGE difference between a 1/2.3 sensor in the FZ35 and an entry level APS-C sized sensor. Check here - Image sensor format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you can see, an APS-C sensor is many many times bigger than a 1/2.3 sensor. Probably 20 FZ35 sensors will make up ONE APS-C sized sensor ! :eek:hyeah:

Even the D3000 can take nice images at ISO 1600. The FZ35 will struggle with noise at even ISO 400 (it smears detail to give to relatively noise free results at ISO 400).

Regarding AF speed, yes the gap has narrowed and I was pretty impressed with the speed of the FZ35 even in less than stellar lighting.

However a P&S camera will never give you as much control over DOF as a DSLR. If you like to have control of DOF, a P&S camera wont be able to do much due to the small sensor size.

I maintain that the FZ35 is a VERY good camera for what it does. But at the end of the day its a P&S camera with a tiny sensor and it cannot be compared to a DSLR with its far larger sensor.

Also CCD sensors cannot be used for video as they heat up much more than CMOS sensors. Also remember than the D5000 is one of the few DSLRs that have AF during video shooting. But really you should use manual focus instead.

^ thanks for the details.. I would doubly get them anywhere else.

I have decided to go with Nikon D5000 but don't know from where to buy it for affordable price..

I've seen ebay sellers are selling it for ~30k with lens and warranty but JJ Mehta is selling the same for 36.5k something.

So have many doubts in mind, from where to buy it..

^ The price varies depending on the type of warranty. Items with dealer's warranty come for around 28K, while those with manufacturer warranty were available recently as DOW on eBay for 33K. If you can't wait, please do have a look at smartshoppers.in The seller there has both manufacturers and dealers, priced at 34.5K and 28K respectively.

Hmm, will buying with dealers warranty a smart choice? If anything happens to camera after a year, can't I repair it from Nikon?

Back