Buying GPS Phone in 2 days ... shooot...

Rockfella

Playing BFV
ex-Mod
Hi,

I am buying a new phone just for using GPS!

Please suggest a non-samsung, full fledged GPS enabled phone for as low as possible.

Camera with flash would be great.

TIA.

Sweet! Its a great case! Gave one to my cousin and he likes it a lot! The grips really help and its so soft on the back!
Yup. Problem: I am trying to download new apps now. The guy who sold me the phone registered me with outlook.com. He didn't give me the password, neither did I ask for it because i thought "Who would game on a mobile?" Just for curiosity I changed my password on outlook.com and now the password that the seller registered me with on the phone doesn't work. I was trying to download few apps on the phone ans got error message wrong username/password etc. What to do?

Yup. Problem: I am trying to download new apps now. The guy who sold me the phone registered me with outlook.com. He didn't give me the password, neither did I ask for it because i thought "Who would game on a mobile?" Just for curiosity I changed my password on outlook.com and now the password that the seller registered me with on the phone doesn't work. I was trying to download few apps on the phone ans got error message wrong username/password etc. What to do?
factory reset?
try to register with a new ID

factory reset?
try to register with a new ID
EDIT: I changed my password on outlook.com and activated two step verification which was causing the problem. Deactivated it and all seems good. Resetting the phone is always an option but I had to headbang getting registered again. Changing username etc would have been more complicated. Anyway problem solved.

620 would have been better to go with as it has more brightness (nits, higher is better). Can help to see the screen better in daylight, which presumably would be useful for a gps.

lumia 720 - 740 (excellent)
lumia 620 - 623 (excellent)
lumia 520 - 364 (average)
lumia 525 - not tested yet though given how the 625 is i don't expect it to be better than the 520.

lumia 625 - 357 (average)
lumia 925 - 325 (average)

its interesting how max brightness dropped from 620 to 625.

Compared wth others for daylight visibility
5s - 587 (excellent)
note 3 - 360 (average)
s4 - 289 (poor)

The galaxy oleds have poor daytime visibility compared to non-oleds.

Last edited:
the 525 is pretty good outdoors! Tested one today and was pretty satisfied!
How do you assess outdoors visibility though ? Depends how you hold the phone. Whether you have a folio case that can double up as a sun shade.

It looks good today but the sun does not go higher than 60 degrees over the horizon this time of the year. Wait till June when it gets to 80 degrees and is much more brighter. See how tricky this is.

From what i can tell brightness level measurements closer to (good) rather than (poor) is better. iphones are the standard.

This means if phone areana gives an (average) rating then you can read almost all the text in the middle of winter. In summer you will be able to read less than almost all of the text.

Hence above average is the minimum requirement, more is always better but that's where the limit is.

Well, I use Asha 210 as primary, 525 when I need GPS. Have 2 sims.[DOUBLEPOST=1391520280][/DOUBLEPOST]
This means if phone areana gives an (average) rating then you can read almost all the text in the middle of winter. In summer you will be able to read less than almost all of the text.

Hence above average is the minimum requirement, more is always better but that's where the limit is.
It means you rely too much on reviews. Use it yourself to get the real feel.[DOUBLEPOST=1391520633][/DOUBLEPOST]Case has been delivered. Will update tomorrow.

Last edited:
It means you rely too much on reviews. Use it yourself to get the real feel.
There is no data on the 525 yet. I'm speculating based on the 520. I don't expect the 525 to be much better.

Daylight visibility is something that is hardly mentioned in reviews. A few have started but its limited only to flagships. What about the rest. Not everybody wants to buy flagships. You don't get to test this out before you buy unless you know somebody that already has it. As the table shows there is still quite a variability here between models, phones are not yet standardised to the point where you don't need to consider it. Cheaper phones will cut corners or they won't be cheap.

Even then its very difficult to tell because it depends on the use & angle etc. Cloudy day not so cloudy. In a way we're lucky because we enter monsoons just when the sun is highest but its not a given. Too many variables to give a coherent answer.

somebody had asked this question earlier and no good answer was offered so i was looking for a way to gauge based on measurements with any phone or at least ones which have been measured. above average or closer to excellent and chances are it won't be a problem. I don't even need to own the phone as it's not anecdotal but based on measurements. Chances are better than even that owners will agree.

Same with battery endurance. Anything that's over 60+h endurance rating on gsmarena is a device that will not have issues with battery. There is quite some variability with lumias here. 720/1020 are good. 520/5, 620 are ok. 820, 920, 925? are average. If you can replace the battery its not a biggie.

Back