Buying help - 3G USB Modem Unlocked

So I'm looking to replace my (stupid) Tata Photon+ data card with a more reliable and faster 3G data card.

Since I do a lot of road trips, which takes me to many non-metro and Tier 3/4/5 locations, I feel a service provider like MTNL would suit me best, since they have have BSNL's infrastructure to latch on to. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I think it would be cheaper to buy an unlocked device and plonk in any SIM that I want. So I have discovered these USB modems and I need advice on which is best and also where to buy (Ebay?)

1. Huawei E1750

2. Huawei E1762

3. Huawei UMG1831

Please suggest keeping in mind that I want a modem comptible with Win 7 Starter AS WELL AS Ubuntu.

Buy a Huawei (IDEA Branded) E1732 on ebay.

Huawei E1732 3G usb modem Data Card 7.2Mbps Unlocked Idea Net Setter | eBay

The above link is from one of the best ebay sellers (data Cards only), Blue Dart Shipping, 1 year warranty.
Plus this card has MicroSD slot, external antenna slot as well as Micro SIM compatible :D

You can use coupon "MCEBAY1234" to get 10% off (MasterCard /Maestro Debit-Credit Cards)
Otherwise there is some ICICI 10% coupon as well for netbanking

Supra said:

The above link is from one of the best ebay sellers (data Cards only), Blue Dart Shipping, 1 year warranty.

Plus this card has MicroSD slot, external antenna slot as well as Micro SIM compatible :D

You can use coupon "MCEBAY1234" to get 10% off (MasterCard /Maestro Debit-Credit Cards)

Thanks for the link. Will this work with Ubuntu, as that's my main concern and I didnt see it mentioned on the listing.

No ebay listing will say if its compatible with Ubuntu :p

AFAIK all Huwaei modems should work fine with the latest versions of Ubuntu. I have this modem as well as Ubuntu...will revert back in this thread asap.

Confirmed...works fine in Ubuntu....no need to tinker anything :D

Can someone tell me the difference (other than price) between Huawei E1732 and Huawei E173?

All I can see is that the former is Idea branded (though unlocked) and the latter is unbranded.

Supra said:
^^ E1732 is a newer product from Huawei thats all ! Why do u want E173 when its more exp and lesser warranty ?

1. I thought 173 was the newer one? And 1732 is nothing but customized OS on 173?

2. The other reason is what I googled and also read on some other forums - that there is no *permanent* unlock for 1732. Is that true?

What if any service requires in Warranty period (with ebay listing idea unlocked dongle), whom to contact? Huawei may ask to see idea as it's re-branded for idea & idea may refuse knowing it's unlocked. :(

^^ Mostly all these warranty are by the dealers only. Its like overclocking though...you buy a branded Airtel/Vodafone/Idea data card from their showrooms...unlock them...if it goes kaput since all it was software unlock...ppl will submit them for warranty replacement. Also as per the dealers the Idea Branded Huawei E1732 comes unlocked ! The sellers just flash the unlocked Dashboard instead of the Idea software.

that there is no *permanent* unlock for 1732. Is that true?

Its just a simple code unlock which you can do it urself :p...Also I have an E173 which doesn't have an external antenna CRC9 slot !

I have a E173 and my friend just got the E1732(idea netsetter) from ebay. The SIM Slot location, microSD location and even the LED is identical. So under the hood its almost the same. Only the outer plastic varies and also the E1732 has a Antenna slot!
4 of my friends have now got the E1732 from the 'santoshsgh' dealer in ebay. Very fast shipping. Bugger kept on reducing Rs.50 once in 10 days! You can get it for sub 1.2k which is a steal for that modem! Just go for it.

P.S: That guy has sold 250+ net setter E1732 in the last couple of weeks!

Supra & DA,

Clear your inbox :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Supra said:
^^ Mostly all these warranty are by the dealers only.

.... but The SAME ebay dealer saying to claim warranty buyer need to see Huawei Service Center ONLY :huh:

Hi Supra,

any reason you suggest E1732 over E1550 one?

Also what is type of Bill you received? Is it legitimate, product name, model & IMEI number with vat pad & clearly mentioned 12 month Warranty from Date of Purchase also who will provide Warranty?

Seller at ebay (you bought from & DA's friends too) said Huawei service center will provide the Warranty while I think hence the modem re-branded for idea it's idea's responsibility to provide the service. ... but hence it's unlock & surely will not use with idea sim why idea will provide the service :S

You own the USB dongle from same seller so I wish some help from you by replying above queries.

I am also planning to buy same model through this ebay seller, Not sure how is it possible to get service directly from manufacturer, for a datacard which is "Idea" one and unlocked by Seller ?

Update: Just called to Huawei Toll Free Number 18002096555 & they REFUSED to give service for Unlock Card also call one of Huawei Service Center in Mumbai & they also Refused to give service for UNLOCK IDEA 3G USB Data Card :(
ajay_ban123 said:
I am also planning to buy same model through this ebay seller, Not sure how is it possible to get service directly from manufacturer, for a datacard which is "Idea" one and unlocked by Seller ?

As Supra here who bought from same ebay dealer & the delaer himself too confirm that After Sales Service will be provided by Huawei Service Center also MTS on their website suggest to see Huawei service center for any hardware problem with MTS Brand Huawei 3G USB Adapter.

There is one suspect about After sales service as I mail them at 'service.hw.in@huawei.com' on 28 Nov 2011 about service support but they didn't reply yet :( if you wish can call Mumbai service center on 022 67100007 & confirm about service part.

A dealer told me the Huawei K4505 on BSNL gives connection problems on BSNL West Region.
Is this true?
I need a 21+mbps usb modem for all India use, but I am based out of Pune.
Any other USB and network recommendations?

Supra,

I confirm with Huawei Service Center & on Toll Free Number too BOTH said NO WARRANTY for Unlocked Data Card :(
Supra said:

Back