Buying help for iphone 4s frm US.

rdbbond

Adept
Want to buy a iphone 4s from US. My dad's coming next week. Apple says its arnd 649$ for 16gb model on their site. Is it final price or some additional charges? He enquired at a store in LAX. It ll cost arnd 30000. Just any1 can advise frm where shld it be bought for best price. Any suggestions wud be welcome.Any suggestions wud be welcome.

rdbbond said:
Guys this is really bad. Factory unlocked iphones nt working in any of networks in india.? Hey amber_hitman jst confirm if it ws factory unlocked,which sim she tested on? Thnks

I am also gettin very great offers on at&t iphone 4s ( 26k for 16gb). Gevey sim doesnt work on the 4s. And between my dad asked today abt sprint iphones. They r providing a unlock for the iphone to work Internationally. :)
That's after you are good standing customer of their service for at least 90 days... Sprint and Verizon

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

raksrules said:
OT: Can you tell me about the saving money from shipping through SNS ??

Is there some offer going on ?
As i said that one of my relatives is coming down from the US so if i get the device to her i'll be able to save on shipping. But if i wait for the unlock i'll have to pay to SNS for getting it shipped.

Sent from a Galaxy in the S2 system

rdbbond said:
Guys this is really bad. Factory unlocked iphones nt working in any of networks in india.? Hey amber_hitman jst confirm if it ws factory unlocked,which sim she tested on? Thnks

I am also gettin very great offers on at&t iphone 4s ( 26k for 16gb). Gevey sim doesnt work on the 4s. And between my dad asked today abt sprint iphones. They r providing a unlock for the iphone to work Internationally. :)

Factory Unlocked ones should ideally work on any GSM network. These are the NEVER LOCKED ones. It is just the ones which have been unlocked officially by apple themselves are having issues. I have definitely read somewhere about this but cannot recollect what site it was. So insist on getting a FACTORY UNLOCKED and get it tested on any other SIM which does not use AT&T network (AT&T and some other provider in US uses AT&T network). Safe bet is to try using a Tmobile SIM card or if your dad has an Indian SIM there in US, tell him to try that (but that would mean making it a micro SIM and then he will need a adapter to use that in his phone).

kuduku said:
A noob query - Can a iphone 4 16/32 GB ATT locked can be unlocked by this AT&T iPhone 4S unlocked accidentally, no jailbreak needed - GSMArena.com news or any one online websites which claim to sim unlock it for $20 odd

The cowboom 32 and 16 gb look enticing with people getting near brand new sets

This method is fake and it DOES NOT work. So don't keep any hopes on this. The software unlockable band on iPhone 4 is 1.59.00 and above it are Gevey SIM unlockable (upto a certain point, not all).

Cowboom is lottery and you may end up with a phone in very bad shape. Although they have a 30 day shipping paid returns, it is of no use if you are getting the phone shipped to India. Do not go with cowboom, however good the deal may sound.

Buy from ebay.com if you want to be sure and get the baseband checked before you buy the phone. Target the auctions which you like and if you really really want the phone, try striking a deal with the seller (but pay using paypal through ebay only, no other methods). You might get a better deal in that way.

Just a query!!
What if we buy the 4S at contract price of 199 $ + taxes and pay the carrier ETF of 325 $ for breaking the contract. The phone is with us for arnd 540$ ? Or there r some additional charges ?
Exclude that it is still locked to ATT.

EArlier There was Problem with the iphone 4S being imported into india . The ONe's with IMEI in the 1300ish Range din't worked here because they were not registered in every operator's database . Now this problem has been resolved .This was resolved within 8 days

rdbbond said:
Just a query!!

What if we buy the 4S at contract price of 199 $ + taxes and pay the carrier ETF of 325 $ for breaking the contract. The phone is with us for arnd 540$ ? Or there r some additional charges ?

Exclude that it is still locked to ATT.

Yes you can do that but if you break off the contract from AT&T and pay the EFT, your phone still remains locked to AT&T network and they will not help you get it unlocked. Also there is no unlock available so you are SOL.

Here you pay 200$ initially + 325$ EFT + 50$ (assuming 1 month minimum use) = 575$ (excluding taxes) and still you end up with a locked phone.

In comparison, get the factory unlocked unit for 649$ (before taxes) for peace of mind.

Edit: Just checked your last statement about the not to consider the locked to ATT thing, but what would you gain with such a locked phone ?

Ya For the time being the 4S wud be of no use. But there will surely be some unlock.

We just save a 75-100$ and get a locked phone. Which will Be quiet pain in a**. Better buy a factory unlocked?

hmmmm.........

rdbbond said:
Ya For the time being the 4S wud be of no use. But there will surely be some unlock.

We just save a 75-100$ and get a locked phone. Which will Be quiet pain in a**. Better buy a factory unlocked?

hmmmm.........

I say this again....do not keep any hopes of any sort of unlock being available for the iPhone 4S.

Even the iPhone 4 on later versions of baseband was not software unlockable and the gevey SIM too stopped working after iOS5 (5.0.1 etc) update (not sure about current status of working on gevey SIM).

Software unlock might never ever come for the 4S.

I strongly recommend that you get the factory unlocked version so you do not have to worry about losing the unlock etc while upgrading your iOS version.

But still if you want more from your phone, you will need jailbreak.

Ya i use a iPhone 4 now. The at&t version with gevey supreme. And a stupid frnd of mine locked it with some password and forgot it. Then upgraded it to 5.0.1 with the baseband. And voila nw i have a iphone converted to ipod touch since gevey is nt working. Hence want to upgrade to factory unlocked 4S.

iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S does not really have that good product replacement service and also the warranty policies especially when compared to that of Nokia Lumia 800 smart phones. This really causes a lot of trouble to the people who buy them. Apple iPhone 4S and higher models are very poor in case of supporting the features and the applications of the broadband in most of the places and they are definitely not as good as Nokia N8 and above models of the Nokia. Apple iPhones are good when used with 3G services but they can only be found in urban cities. Most of the village sides and sub urban ones are still using the 2G services and iPhones are not good with that.

Back