Buying host + domain -- please help

the_maniac

Disciple
hi,

i have now decided to buy a domain and hosting. i am planning to buy shared hosting. I have a few questions :

1. which is the best and cheap domain registrar ?

2. what is the meaning of offshore hosting and onshore hosting ? i tried to google but haven't got any simple answer for that :(

3. if i buy a domain from someone, then want to transfer it to some other person next year, then i will have to pay a transfer fee. once i pay the transfer fee, how much should i pay to keep that domain. [is there any other price]

4. should i buy a domain and hosting from the same person or should i buy a domain from some other place [like yahoo] who have some cheap offers running and a hosting from someone else ?

5. what should i look out for while buying hosting and domain ? this is the first time i am buying a domain and hosting so is there anything that i should be aware of and careful about ?
Kindly take time to answer these questions.

1. Most domain registrars cost the same. Some big ones like godaddy.com have promo codes that you use to get upto 20% off. com and net domains cost around $1o a year, while .info can be had as less as $1 a year (check godaddy). More than cost, check for the services offered by a registrar. I've used godaddy for 4 domains and find them simple and best.

2. I guess if the hosting servers are located in your country its onshore, else its offshore.

3. Question not clear.

4. No your domain provider and hosting provider can be different. If you want really cheap hosting, check out

whost.in | whost.in - Fast, Reliable, Affordable, cheap Indian Web Hosting and Domain Registration

BizzHost.com - 1000 MB WebHosting @ Rs.350/Year - LINUX, WINDOWS, JAVA, MYSQL, MSSQL 2005, cPANEL, HELM, PLESK

5. Get a meaningful name for your domain. Calculate how much space/bandwidth you will need for one year and then chose a plan accordingly.

if i buy a domain from someone, then want to transfer it to some other person next year, then i will have to pay a transfer fee. once i pay the transfer fee, how much should i pay to keep that domain. [is there any other price]

Question not clear

sorry about that.

all i meant was, supposing i buy a domain name from godaddy today, then after a year, if i feel that someone else is better than godaddy [same namecheap] , then i will have to pay namecheap guys a transfer fee .

in addition to the transfer fee, is there anything else that I should pay for ?

Yup you will have to pay a domain transfer fee. It differs from each provider, but is usually $10. Other than that there isn't anything else you've to pay for (excepting the annual domain fee as usual)

Get your domain name and hosting from Namecheap.

Been using them for almost a year now, excellent service and their 24x7 live support is awesome!

ravi_9793 said:
Thanks amarbir for having a test account with us. Please do post your experience with whost.in | whost.in - Fast, Reliable, Affordable, cheap Indian Web Hosting and Domain Registration

Ravi ,

Demo Account Created ,Domain Linked To the Webhost ,Script Uploaded ,Email And Database Created ,Script Installed ,Paid.

Short Survey :

I Like The No Frills Approach To Website Design You People Have ,this Follows the principal i Follow "KISS" .Keep it Simple Stupid .I Do Not Know How Fast Are the Servers As i Have No Experience in Testing That .I would Like To Know More About Reseller Account So That i May Sell the Service Also .I Love The Idea of Having a Delhi Walla Webhost .I Would Like You To PM Me With More Details of The Reseller Hosting Base1 Plan ,I Think You Have 50% Off In That But i Was Offered No Discount In The Plan i Took :no:

Ravi ,

Demo Account Created ,Domain Linked To the Webhost ,Script Uploaded ,Email And Database Created ,Script Installed ,Paid.

Thanks you :)

I would Like To Know More About Reseller Account So That i May Sell the Service Also .I Love The Idea of Having a Delhi Walla Webhost .I Would Like You To PM Me With More Details of The Reseller Hosting Base1 Plan ,I Think You Have 50% Off In That But i Was Offered No Discount In The Plan i Took :no:

Using reseller package, you can reseller web space. You will have WHM to manage your clients accounts, and your clients will get cPanel to manage their web hosting account.

yes, we have 50% lifetime discount on reseller plans. Select payment cycle as annual or bi-annual and use coupon code reseller50%

-----Edit---------

Your reseller account is already activated :)

ravi_9793 said:
Thanks you :)

Using reseller package, you can reseller web space. You will have WHM to manage your clients accounts, and your clients will get cPanel to manage their web hosting account.

yes, we have 50% lifetime discount on reseller plans. Select payment cycle as annual or bi-annual and use coupon code reseller50%

-----Edit---------

Your reseller account is already activated :)

Ravi ,

The Whole Experience Was Awesome,Also I Learnt About Live Support fRom Your Website ,So i did Not Sleep The Whole Night And Added The Same To My Lynx Website :eek:hyeah: .This Script is Awesomeeeeeeeeeee

Even namecheap offers free private registration. You can try and switch hosting resellers as much as you want. But dont go with any indian registrar for your domain. In fact dont bother with anyone other than namecheap, godaddy and name.com

Unless I am playing around with my website and like to get crappy support and service I would not host with any Indian provider either. For life critical websites like techenclave its a definite NO. Decide how critical it is for you.

Renegade said:
But dont go with any indian registrar for your domain. In fact dont bother with anyone other than namecheap, godaddy and name.com

I am sorry, but PUBLIC DOMAIN REGISTRY (DitectI) is world's 10th Domain Registrars by Total Domains, and its a Indian company.

While buying domain name, you should consider a ICANN-Accredited Registrars with good reputation.

Most of Indian domain seller have reseller account under DirectI, so your domain name is completely safe.

Unless I am playing around with my website and like to get crappy support and service I would not host with any Indian provider either. For life critical websites like techenclave its a definite NO. Decide how critical it is for you.

Its true, that most web hosting service provider in India, just take cheap reseller accounts. They don't have root access to server, so they are unable to provide good support.

We Indians don't get cheap high speed bandwidth. So, we are not able to host our server in India. Else we would also be best in web hosting industry.

Many web hosting companies of US, UK hire Indians for their support. Infact there are many Indian companies who provide complete server management to US, UK web hosting companies.

Back