Buying My first SmartPhone

hello,

So I am buying my first smart phone. But all this choosing process has confused me.The prices in my area are very different i.e moto defy is for 30k :( .Anyways my budget is 15-23k and these phones are the ones I can buy considering the availability and budget:-

1. Samsung galaxy Gio --- 19k

2. HTC Wildfire ( not wildfire S) ---- 20k

3. LG Optimus One ----- 21k

4. nokia 5800 XM ----- 20k

P.S : Dont freak out with these prices, I know its too much but I dont have any other solution.

So, what I am looking for is a phone that I can use for around 2-3 years i.e it should get sw updates for sometime. And the second thing is that it shouldnot lag.Camera is not an issue for me.I have heard LG O1 lag while playing angry birds.Only Gio from the above has the best processor that is why sofar I have mind set on Gio.So please help me in making this decision and if you know any other phone that is better and falls in this price range then do let me know.Thanks for taking your time and reading this :)

Ok so I was convinced to buy Galaxy Gio.Went to the shop and this is what I was told :
" yaar bhai samsung is very weak,mobile to sirf nokia hota hai.If you want samsung I can give you but there is 40% chance that there might be something faulty like wifi not working etc and that will take 3 weeks to get fixed.So your choice."
I was like W-T-F ! So is there anything like this or he is just trying to convince me to go for nokia?
Secondly, are there any gio owners here on the forums? I didnt find any Galaxy Gio owners thread :(

Another thing that worries me is that most of the android owners talk about rooting,custom mods etc. I dont know a single thing about that, so is it like must to know all this stuff if you want to keep your android updated? Or its just completely optional and even without that android can be updated and used without any issues?

nightcrawler123 said:
Ok so I was convinced to buy Galaxy Gio.Went to the shop and this is what I was told :
" yaar bhai samsung is very weak,mobile to sirf nokia hota hai.If you want samsung I can give you but there is 40% chance that there might be something faulty like wifi not working etc and that will take 3 weeks to get fixed.So your choice."
I was like W-T-F ! So is there anything like this or he is just trying to convince me to go for nokia?
Secondly, are there any gio owners here on the forums? I didnt find any Galaxy Gio owners thread :(

Another thing that worries me is that most of the android owners talk about rooting,custom mods etc. I dont know a single thing about that, so is it like must to know all this stuff if you want to keep your android updated? Or its just completely optional and even without that android can be updated and used without any issues?
Dont worry. It happens all the time. He is trying to make you go for Nokia that is all.
He has very little idea what he is talking about.

DarkAngel said:
So prices are in PKR. ? 1 INR = 1.92 PKR. Then thats fine pricing i guess.
Samsung Galaxy Gio S5660 - Full phone specifications

Get this one. It has lesser RAM than the O1 P500.(278MB vs 512MB) But it also has the processor clocked higher (800MHz vs 600MHz of the same model MSM7227.)

Since its cheaper too its a good option IMO. :) If 19k PKR then its 10k INR and its fair pricing.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Samsung Galaxy Gio S5660 vs. LG Optimus One P500 - GSMArena.com

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Samsung Galaxy Gio S5660 review: Average Gio - GSMArena.com
As far as I know, the processor of the Gio is the overclocked version of the one in the O1.
So you can overclock the processor of the O1 and then you will have the same processor.

But whatever you do, you will never be able to increase the RAM like this.

So according to me, buy the O1 as it has more RAM.

Gio is not launched in India.

Rooting, unlocking etc are for enthusiasts. For eg., there was a phone called Samsung Spica which was the best sell last summer. But official updates stopped with Eclair (Android 2.1) since it was a mid ranger and was replaced by Galaxy 3.

But since it was a best seller the devs in various forums even have the Gingerbread(Android 2.3) ported to it. So if you want to use the latest OS say after a year or so you cant get an official update for both Gio and O1 P500. It would mostly stop with GB 2.3. But the devs would port one or two more versions to it.

Got it?

If you can live with Gingerbread OS then thats fine. You are not going to lose much since Android almost fully polished and functional from froyo 2.2. So you wont lose out out much.

Well I have searched around the internet but I have not found any custom roms etc for galaxy gio so far. So is it because the phone is yet new or there is a little chance or it getting custom roms from developers?
On the other hand LG O1 has vast number of custom roms and updates...

nightcrawler123 said:
Well I have searched around the internet but I have not found any custom roms etc for galaxy gio so far. So is it because the phone is yet new or there is a little chance or it getting custom roms from developers?

On the other hand LG O1 has vast number of custom roms and updates...
O1 P500 was released long time back and hence more custom ROMs. It was launched by almost all carriers in US. But Gio is relatively new. With time it should get at least couple of them.

nightcrawler123 said:
I have couple of questions:

1.galaxy gio supports skype and VOIP apps like gtalk etc?

2. does rooting,custom mods etc void the warranty?
1. Errr... It does support all the apps that are in the android market that can run with a MSM7227(800MHz) + Adreno 200(Which means almost all apps will work fine except few high graphic intense games which may not run smooth)

2. Yes. It voids warranty.

Back