PC Peripherals Cabinet suggestions for AMD System with Seasonic 520W PSU

cool_cat

Adept
Hi,
I am upgrading My Desktop in a phased manner. I bought a Seasonic S12 II 520W PSU Yesterday.

I actually want to put the new PSU into the old system. When, I checked current Cabinet, it is 5 Years old and the Air Vent for PSU is small.

My Plan is to upgrade to a AMD Phenom II /FX based System and currently using C2D E4600+Asus P5GC-MX/1333 Mobo. and awaiting delivery of a SSD drive.

So, Suggest a good Cabinet with Efficient Air circulation,cable management and Preferable for a AMD system. Budget maximum Rs2500.

are these cabinets comes with fans installed?

I want to buy locally from Cochin/Ernakulam. Doubt the availability of "NZXT Gamma" cabinet. Suggest Some more models in the price range.

are these cabinets comes with fans installed?

I want to buy locally from Cochin/Ernakulam. Doubt the availability of "NZXT Gamma" cabinet. Suggest Some more models in the price range.

Most cabinets in this price rang / budget come with only one OR maximum two 120mm fans for the front intake and rear exhaust positions, depending on your temperatures and air-flow you will have to place more fans accordingly . The following cabinets are what fall in your budget --

Cooler Master eLite 430 ~2500/- -->2800/- [a basic entry level cabinet from Cooler Master directly vies with the Gamma for the extreme budget range gamers RIG, wire routing is not upto par as the NZXT contender]
NZXT Gamma ~2700/- [when the Gamma came out it redefined what a budget buyer can aim for in his modest budget, coming packed to the grills with features (but lacking fans) this model is the best budget gamer contender, sadly pan-India availability is a downer]
Bit Fenix Merc Alpha ~2500/- [another young company trying to emulate the magic that worked for the Gamma, pretty good feature set but again availability is the question]

Extra reviews here --
NZXT Gamma Case Review | Hardware Secrets / AnandTech - BitFenix Merc Alpha: Just How Much Can $39 Buy? / Bitfenix Merc Alpha Case Review | Hardware Secrets.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

I think Coolermaster availability is better. Will confirm tomorrow. pour in suggestions. with cabinets, are the fans comes only as optional?

Cooler master elite 310/311 can be bought within 2000 rupees, has the back fan pre-installed, and has provisions for 2 more fans (front/side), which need to be bought separately. The look is a personal choice. Cooling wise I think I think it will be sufficient for a amd processor (but depends on the processor). An aftermarket cooler can be used to increase the colling efficiency.
Reviews Cooler Master Elite 310 Review - Overclockers Club , Cooler Master Elite 311 PC Case

Mainak

dont buy the CM elite 310. it has very sharp edges and you might cut yourself working on them. Have cut myself once on this cabinet. The manufacturer's didn't even take time to burr out the sharp edges from the metal, so beware.

Any Idea who is the distributor for nzxt in south?

It is available with these guys -- The IT Depot [Chennai based].

Cooler master elite 310/311 can be bought within 2000 rupees, has the back fan pre-installed, and has provisions for 2 more fans (front/side), which need to be bought separately. The look is a personal choice. Cooling wise I think I think it will be sufficient for a amd processor (but depends on the processor). An aftermarket cooler can be used to increase the colling efficiency.
Reviews Cooler Master Elite 310 Review - Overclockers Club , Cooler Master Elite 311 PC Case

It has only provision for a side-fan, the front fan does not have an intake atleast not in the Cooler Master eLite 310.

Also here is a list of things that the eLite 310 / 311 both lack --
  • poor airflow.
  • interior is not painted, so corrosion [especially relevant in OP's case as he is living near coastal areas]
  • poor finish off the entire product, as 6pack has pointed out it has sharp edges galore and the plastic used on the front is piano finish [really cheap feeling].
  • not a fully tool-less design.

I can rant on and on, but really if this is what Cooler Master has up against the likes of NZXT Source series and if OP doesn't mind investing in them, the eLites are not worth it.

I have not much hope with NZXT Gamma/Source 210 Elite and Bit Fenix Merc Alpha availability at Ernakulam. However, I will search for these models first with the dealers I know.
If not available, CM Elite 430 will be considered. since, I will be using current C2D setup on this cabinet, Will I need extra fans? if with CM Elite 430, How many fans(90/120MM suggest pls!) bare minimum needed for a good system.

And, Thermaltake Cabinets may be available. Any Model worth buying ?
THERMALTAKE MATRIX MID TOWER CHASIS (VD2000BNS)

These Models ?
THERMALTAKE WING RS201 MID TOWER CHASIS (VJ60001N2Z)
THERMALTAKE WING RS101 MID TOWER CHASIS (VG8000BNS) ALPHA17

OK. I was checking all these cabinets. are all these cabinets including CM Elite 430 have only bottom mounting option for PSUs? I think top mounted PSU option is cool. can We customize like that with Cabinets like CM Elite 430/NZXT Gamma/source elite? @ALPHA17

Last edited by a moderator:
cool_cat, there are a few reasons why the industry has mobilized post-haste to bottom mounted SMPS, these are --
  • the 120mm intake fans are always bottom mounted [occasionally top mounted], because no other face of the SMPS offers the surface area to place such a huge fan.
  • the intake needs a point from where it can suck in fresh air [which it exhausts via the honeycomb rear grill], all this while keeping the fan noise as low as possible.
  • If you will notice all this spells out bottom mounted SMPS because --

1. larger fan run slower to push the same amount of air a small fan does [albeit at the cost of more noise and lower efficiency].
  2. bottom mounted design allows the companies to give maximum amount of cut-outs in and around the motherboard tray for improved cable-routing.
  3. the bottom mounted fans can suck in fresh air with the least amount of resistance. Also this allows the SMPS to be isolated from the rest of the systems airflow.

I don't take sides on the coolness factor as both the designs have there respective advantages and accompanying disadvantages. But, for now the industry standard is bottom mounting and that is where I throw my lot in.

No you cannot customise that in cabinets like the Cooler Master eLite 430 series / NZXT Gamma, they are strictly bottom mounting SMPS.

Hope this helps , Cheerio!!

If not available, CM Elite 430 will be considered. since, I will be using current C2D setup on this cabinet, Will I need extra fans? if with CM Elite 430, How many fans(90/120MM suggest pls!) bare minimum needed for a good system.

I think in the light of your situation the best cabinet you can buy is the Cooler Master eLite 430 Black [it comes with all black painted interiors] ~2800/-.

You can add 2 x120mm, Cooler Master SicleFlow's to improve the airflow in your cabinet. This should be enough for most configurations [unless you plan to run a pair of GTX 670 in SLi].

None of the Thermaltake cabinets you have mentioned have this feature. So give them a pass, also I am not aware of who is responsible for their after sales in India.

Cooler master Elite 430 Quote : Rs3000! no where it is available for Rs2500 range.

Seriously, which edition is it; the vanilla OR the Black interiors?

Sorry mate, can you find out what other cabinets are on offer in you area, with a painted interior. Any company Thermaltake, Cooler Master will do.

Seriously, which edition is it; the vanilla OR the Black interiors?

Sorry mate, can you find out what other cabinets are on offer in you area, with a painted interior. Any company Thermaltake, Cooler Master will do.
Nothing less than Rs3000 for Elite 430 with all dealers.
I will rather order online Bit Fenix Merc Alpha online if these greedy fellas overcharge @ cochin.

Nothing less than Rs3000 for Elite 430 with all dealers.
I will rather order online Bit Fenix Merc Alpha online if these greedy fellas overcharge @ cochin.

But you will have to bear additional shipping charges and if the product ends up damaged at your doorstep, more time wasted.

Also you will need to outfit it with the fans, as it comes with only the rear-exhaust fan [a la NZXT Gamma]. I think you are the best judge for your needs do what you feel is best in the situation, Cheerio!!

If you are going online, wait for some time as Prime might come up with a free shipping offer(Monsoon offer or some), I bought my source 210 during one of these offers, as for fans, having a single 120 mm fan is enough for a non-oveclocking rig, more fans are required if you have 3+ HDDs, SLI setup or the ambient temp is very hot or humid, for my rig, I use the single 120 fan that came with the cabinet, its more than sufficient

I recently bought a CM Elite 370 cabinet and am pretty satisfied with it. It is a budget cabinet with provision for enough fans and is quite spacious inside. Another plus is that its tool free. It comes with only the rear fan pre-installed. SMPS is to be mounted at the bottom. Here's the link: Elite 370 - Cooler Master

Just found out the CM has introduced a USB 3 version of the same cabinet: Elite 370 (USB 3.0 version) - Cooler Master.

I certainly recommend the Elite 370.

guys, I bought Coolermaster Elite 431 Plus(Transperant Side Panel) from Cochin Today.

I bought CM Elite 431+ for the hope it will benefit for future upgrades and for USB 3 hub.

Will need help wiring the cabinet.

Thank You to All suggestions.

Cabinet componet installation help needed:

Hi,
Although I bought the stuffs(PSU and Cabinet), I am not feeling confident enough to touch the thing because of few doubts. Frankly, I feel like a n00b!:(
I badly want to get a AMD Fusion or Phenom II Procy and Mobo but My budget is limited for now as earlier posted. So, I will be moving My current C2D+Motherboard,HDD,DVD-RW drives etc to new cabinet. I will assemble this in next Saturday or so.

Doubts:

• If I remove expansion slots cover in cabinet for fixing this motherboard which has a pci-e gfx card, what if in future upgrade, any of these expansion slot is unused remaining open? is there any cover available to close the unused slot. AFAIK, it cannot be fixed again. What to do?
  • I have a C2D system and this Cabinet got a front 120MM LED Fan only comes with it. Do I need to buy a fan for rear side of the Cabinet? Consider Scenario for future upgrade. Also, Where can I get Cooling fan dust filter? Can it be Home made?
  • In My current system, el cheapo noisy fans are used and these have no connectors and are pressed into psu hdd cable etc. what is molex connector? are these comes with My Cabinet or will it comes along with Cooling fans?
  • PSU slot in cabinet has a open portion in the back without any dust filter or anything. will it needs to be closed.(PSU fan will be facing bottom and a filter is provided)
  • Regarding connecting Hard drive,CPU and other LED connections.Reset,Power buttons which way to connect? AFAIK, in these connectors, there is a down Arrow marked on one of the side. Please explain the correct method.
  • I am currently using Numeric 600EX-V with ratings 600VA/360W. with Seasonic 520W PSU connected and this C2D system, will it suit fine or a UPS upgrade also needed!
  • what if I don't want to connect fancy LEDs in the cabinet(the front fan for eg). is that possible?

ALPHA17

I will be following this guide: Cooler Master Elite 431 PLUS Component Installation - YouTube
This is the coolermaster elite 431 plus details. at 00:38-43 in this video, a front slot is shown. what is the use of it?

Thanks to All for the support!

Back