PC Peripherals Cabinet suggestions for AMD System with Seasonic 520W PSU

<i><b><a href="http://www.techenclave.com/member.php?u=20321" target="_blank">cool_cat</a></b></i>, do not get intimidated mate. Just because this is your first self-build do not feel flustered OR jittery. Take your time, watch as many tutorials you can find and most importantly don't be afraid.

Hi,
Although I bought the stuffs(PSU and Cabinet), I am not feeling confident enough to touch the thing because of few doubts. Frankly, I feel like a n00b!:(
I badly want to get a AMD Fusion or Phenom II Procy and Mobo but My budget is limited for now as earlier posted. So, I will be moving My current C2D+Motherboard,HDD,DVD-RW drives etc to new cabinet. I will assemble this in next Saturday or so.

Doubts:
  • If I remove expansion slots cover in cabinet for fixing this motherboard which has a pci-e gfx card, what if in future upgrade, any of these expansion slot is unused remaining open? is there any cover available to close the unused slot. AFAIK, it cannot be fixed again. What to do?
  • I have a C2D system and this Cabinet got a front 120MM LED Fan only comes with it. Do I need to buy a fan for rear side of the Cabinet? Consider Scenario for future upgrade. Also, Where can I get Cooling fan dust filter? Can it be Home made?
  • In My current system, el cheapo noisy fans are used and these have no connectors and are pressed into psu hdd cable etc. what is molex connector? are these comes with My Cabinet or will it comes along with Cooling fans?
  • PSU slot in cabinet has a open portion in the back without any dust filter or anything. will it needs to be closed.(PSU fan will be facing bottom and a filter is provided)
  • Regarding connecting Hard drive,CPU and other LED connections.Reset,Power buttons which way to connect? AFAIK, in these connectors, there is a down Arrow marked on one of the side. Please explain the correct method.
  • I am currently using Numeric 600EX-V with ratings 600VA/360W. with Seasonic 520W PSU connected and this C2D system, will it suit fine or a UPS upgrade also needed!
  • what if I don't want to connect fancy LEDs in the cabinet(the front fan for eg). is that possible?

The answers to your doubts --

• Yes once opened, I doubt the slit plates can be replaced. If you be careful you may not need to open too many of them, else you can try to screw the plates onto the cabinet once they have been removed.
  • Yes add a decent rear exhaust fan please [preferable 120mm], the Cooler Master SickleFlow is the one I would recommend.
  • Yes dust filters can be improvised from home materials such as; muslin cloth, mosquito mesh material et al.
  • This is a molex connector, the SMPS will have these connectors, problem is the fan will always run full blast and this can be a source of noise.

http://www.kenable.co.uk/images/molex_extension.jpg
  • No need that open space will be utilized by the SMPS to exhaust the dead heat from within itself. Also, the power cord will be connected from that position hence you cannot cover it.
  • I cannot explain how to connect individual components but, it will be easy. The Power / Reset connectors need to go to the motherboard, same with the SATA connectors [with other end into the hard-drive] and the power cord from the SMPS plugged into the hard-drive.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/cooldrives/sata-hard-drive-power-cable-connector.jpg

SATA power connectors [from SMPS]
    http://www.sierra-cables.com/Cables/Images/SATA-Signal-Cable-1.jpg

SATA cables
    http://www.datarecoverytutorial.com/wp-images/recover-data-from-laptop/laptop-sata-hard-drive.jpg

How a hard-drive looks like [SATA]
  • Upgrade it [UPS] when you upgrade your RIG mate. An APC 1.1KVA version would set you straight for quite some time.
  • It is possible, then again you will need to replace the default fan that Cooler Master has bundled for the front-intake. Best is that you leave it for now and add a fan later.

Here is a video that should guide you better than what I just wrote --

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

Thanks for all the recommendations especially fans and ups.
  • Upgrade it [UPS] when you upgrade your RIG mate. An APC 1.1KVA version would set you straight for quite some time.
1KVA UPS! will a 800VA one suffice? - any idea how much it will cost(with battery)? I think My next upgrade will be THIS.
Which is a cheaper yet "good" brand of UPS as APC will be costly IMO. How is Numeric,Microtek,iball nirantar etc.
I've read that SMPS will overheat when UPS Wattage is less?
  • Yes once opened, I doubt the slit plates can be replaced. If you be careful you may not need to open too many of them, else you can try to screw the plates onto the cabinet once they have been removed.
This is :( . I will have to remove "slit plate" to fix Geforce pci-e card. any idea, if the slit plate removed will be the same one for all atx mobos?
Can we fix the plates back with something like duct tape :O

• Yes add a decent rear exhaust fan please [preferable 120mm], the Cooler Master SickleFlow is the one I would recommend.
Thanks.

1KVA UPS! will a 800VA one suffice? - any idea how much it will cost(with battery)? I think My next upgrade will be THIS.

I've read that SMPS will overheat when UPS Wattage is less?

Can we fix the plates back with something like duct tape :O

Your answers @cool_cat

• The APC BR1.1KVA-IN model retails ~4600/- -->5500/- [depending whether you purchase it locally OR from an online retailer]. If you want to buy a local brand then go for the Microteck 800VA ~2800/-. Though I will not recommend the latter and if APC has a service centre in your town their after sales record is much much better.

Call up APC on their support channel; they will guide you to the closest direct reseller / retailer / distributor and will give you honest prices along with worry free maintenance.

Get the UPS when you buy the RIG mate.
  • No do not use duct-tape, better use a screw to securely fasten the plate. I think this is possible although the plate will still not be a 100% fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your answers cool_cat

• The APC BR1.1KVA-IN model retails ~4600/- -->5500/- [depending whether you purchase it locally OR from an online retailer]. If you want to buy a local brand then go for the Microteck 800VA ~2800/-. Though I will not recommend the latter and if APC has a service centre in your town their after sales record is much much better.

Call up APC on their support channel; they will guide you to the closest direct reseller / retailer / distributor and will give you honest prices along with worry free maintenance.

Get the UPS when you buy the RIG mate.
  • No do not use duct-tape, better use a screw to securely fasten the plate. I think this is possible although the plate will still not be a 100% fit.

Yes. I will buy a UPS in a weeks time. I had a APC 650VA UPS few years back and their service was quiet poor.
If APC 1KVA model comes for maximum 4500-600 Rupees it is fine. but, alternate options also are considered.
I've read about ELNOVA UPS.. any good?

Numeric 600W hardly gives 3-4 minutes back up with My present System:
C2D E4600,P5GC-mx/1333 motherboard,2GB Zion DDR2, 160GB Seagate Barracuda Sata,XFX Geforce 7300GT,Asus sata DVD-RW,3 el cheapo cooling fans! and Zebronics 450W PSU. So, UPS upgrade, I know will be needed.

For the Future upgrades, Already purchased(with rebate) Intel 330 180GB SSD and will be carried to India only by July! :-|

Back