Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Discussion Thread

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
New Call of Duty confirmed for 2012 - GameSpot

Activision has already announced plans for another Call of Duty title next year, as Modern Warfare 3 posts the largest day-one shipments in gaming history.

On top of that, Activision is promising at least two titles from Blizzard next year. It doesn't take a seasoned industry watcher to guess that Activision's blockbuster Call of Duty series--an annualized franchise since 2005--wouldn't make it through 2012 without a new release. The publisher confirmed as much in its quarterly earnings report, adding that today's launch of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 boasted the largest day-one shipments in gaming history. "As we focus on 2012, we have a strong product pipeline which features a minimum of two highly-anticipated new titles from Blizzard Entertainment, including Diablo III, and a new Call of Duty game from Activision Publishing," Activision CEO Bobby Kotick said in a statement accompanying the publisher's quarterly report. Beyond Diablo III, Blizzard has an assortment of projects in the works, including the World of Warcraft expansion Mists of Pandaria, Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm, Blizzard DOTA, and a still-unannounced massively multiplayer online role-playing game developed under the code-name Titan.

Seriously, what the ..
<

Re: Activision confirms next Call of Duty for 2012!

Why arent they investing the money in improving the game engine?? It still feels the same. Hope they do it atleast in the next version.

Bobby is taking COD the way of Tony Hawks and Guitar Hero. Feel sad for the IP.

IF the same engine is used next year too. Metacritic user rating will drop to 0.5 from 1.5

Well at this rate, I guess even my grand-children would be able to play a CoD title. :D

Aman27deep said:
IF the same engine is used next year too. Metacritic user rating will drop to 0.5 from 1.5

Listen to the latest IGN's PS3 podcast "Beyond" and see rather hear them defend COD's poor rating on Metacritic. Everything is blamed on BF3 trolls :)

TBH I dont see development and implementation of new engine from COD franchise until late 2013
viralbug said:
^ The question is, will they have a new engine by then?

Indeed. It takes a minimum of two years to develop a new engine. If they had one, we surely would have seen trailers, previews or at least screenshots, as dictated by the laws of marketing hype. So no, I think we will see the beautiful Quake 2 engine next year also.

^ Seems like it. And then continue using that engine till the next gen console after that releases.

Aman27deep said:
I don't think they care about Metacritic User Rating if it nets them a cool billion dollars or so. Every year. Year after year. I mean, it's just a couple of hundred men working on computers in just two offices (IW & TA). This has got to be one of the most successful businesses on the planet and it is growing every year. The net income/employee ratio for IW and TA is 10-20 times that of what is considered the most successful businesses in Apple, Exxon Mobil or Microsoft. Why mess with it?

Beyond Diablo III, Blizzard has an assortment of projects in the works, including the World of Warcraft expansion Mists of Pandaria, Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm, Blizzard DOTA, and a still-unannounced massively multiplayer online role-playing game developed under the code-name Titan.

No Warcraft 4? :facepalm:

And what's with the MMORPG fetish?

That "fetish" is the fetish for money, my friend. With Kotick at the helm, what more do you expect? Next they will be releasing Titan, another new MMORPG. I don't see WC4 coming at all.

comp@ddict said:
is this called Milking?
Technically, milking is when a franchise starts dying out but they still keep getting everything they can.

COD is still growing with each game. While avid gamers may think its crap let's not forget that like every entertainment industry the money always comes from the "casual viewers". And even many avid gamers are just tempted to check out what all the hype is about...

Basically COD is like the Transformers of games. It doesn't matter what it is, the name will make billions.

Back